Home | About | Donate

Merger Mania: The Military-Industrial Complex on Steroids

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/16/merger-mania-military-industrial-complex-steroids

The article posted on Turkey the other day pointed out that Turkey purchased the s400 missile defense system from Russia over the US offering mainly because it was technoloically superior and around half the price. Russian arms firms still make profits.

US firms are gouging.

5 Likes

Yes, and a point seldom, if ever, made by the M$M is that the S400 is for DEFENSE, while Uncle $am is trying to sell the world on its F35, which is an OFFENSIVE weapon. Peace.

5 Likes

It also awfully bad optics for those arms companies in the USA to be selling F35 fighters at 100+ million per copy , claimed to be the most advanced stealth fighter in the world to a Country that is also buying the s400 missile defense system which has been described as being able to detect stealth fighters.

The s500 is even more advanced than is teh s400 and already entering production. While out of one side of their mouths the Pentagon and Arms merchants in the USA insist these stealth fighters state of the art and will dominate the air, out of the other they are requesting a new fighter program to replace the f35 as they are concerned about recent Russian advances in anit-air missile technologies.

The arms makers LOVE this stuff.

3 Likes

"The Death Dealers(a more accurate name for Arms Makers) will be the Death of us all."

If only, these industries invested in Peace on Earth, instead of Death and Destruction, humankind might have a chance of survival.

4 Likes

I’ve just read Ike’s farewell address to the nation, linked to in this article.

It gives one some faith in humanity - or at least some humans - particularly those who have seen and experienced war personally, and are not broken by it - who have a higher calling.

Ike and JFK would seem to be among those men.

I was struck by two passages in particular in Ike’s address:

III

“Throughout America’s adventure in free government, our basic purposes have been to keep the peace; to foster progress in human achievement, and to enhance liberty, dignity and integrity among people and among nations. To strive for less would be unworthy of a free and religious people. Any failure traceable to arrogance, or our lack of comprehension or readiness to sacrifice would inflict upon us grievous hurt both at home and abroad.”

V

Another factor in maintaining balance involves the element of time. As we peer into society’s future, we-you and I, and our government-must avoid the impulse to live only for today, plundering, for our own ease and convenience, the precious resources of tomorrow. We cannot mortgage the material assets of our grandchildren without risking the loss also of their political and spiritual heritage. We want democracy to survive for all generations to come, not to become the insolvent phantom of tomorrow.

Transcript of President Dwight D. Eisenhowers Farewell Address (1961)

===================

These are heady words - thoughtful - heartfelt, unless I am again taken in.

Here are words from a couple of millennia ago:

"For there has never been a protracted war from which a country has benefited.
- Li Ch’uan: The Spring and Autumn Annals says: ‘War is like unto fire; those who will not put aside weapons are themselves consumed by them.’ "

• Sun Tzu - “The Art of War” - translated and with an introduction by Samuel B. Griffith; Foreward by B.H. Liddell Hart; Oxford University Press, 1963/paperback 1971.

I bought this little gem at the behest of an American high ranking military officer (a colonel I believe), who was commenting on the same environmental site as myself, back some thirteen years ago - the BBC’s top environmental blog by their top environmental journalist Richard Black, long since dismissed from the now business as usual BBC. We had been discussing Diego Garcia and such…

Just this morning I was reviewing a few scientific papers on the end-Permian Extinction Event, in light of the new paper on the possibly imminent threat of an irreversible ocean acidification set of feedbacks which the human race has now set in motion.

Even Ike would be surprised perhaps at this new turn of the screw?

I can only think that there are still at present men and women, even in politics, who possess the same acumen and far-farsightedness as Ike and JFK.

Not that human nature can be changed - it is who we are.

But that the threat has changed - and is no longer just ‘the other’.

3 Likes

I’m not all that confident that the arms (death) dealers can change, ‘a leopard changing its spots’ comes to mind - but that other forces will rise up.

2 Likes

How far do some people need to take the power they have over others?
That is the question we have to start with.

Our war powers act installed after the 911 attack have made a mockery of democracy.
9/11 is the single biggest reason to have raised stock prices of weapon manufacturers permanently.

It also created the NSA, and hundreds of thousands of jobs for the government through the NSA and through the private sector for surveillance, equipment manufacturing and servicing.

I hate conspiracy theories but I am getting closer to swallowing the ‘9/11 was inside job’ line everyday.

4 Likes

It started much earlier.

FDR was the target of a coup by the MIC - thwarted by a retired Marine Corps Commandant.

JFK - coup successful - downhill since then - 911 a predicable part of the whole long dark affair.

2 Likes

The LIHOP Theory, ie, they (Let It Happen On Purpose) comes to mind. Condi Rice spilled the beans with her statement, “Who could’ve known they’d use airplanes as missiles?” She was well informed that using airplanes as missiles was a likely possibility, but she needed an excuse to defer blame. The Bush crew all knew it was possible, but expected something less disastrous with their LIHOP plan to neglect the ongoing anti-terrorism task force meetings and warnings of imminent danger. We shouldn’t forget how the treasonous PATRIOT Act was ready to sign within weeks or even days after 9/11.

3 Likes

American Marietta
George Martin
Lockheed
Boeing

We are heading to one company, One profit taking machine.
The elected officials are now effectively a sales force for companies of death and destruction.
We should stop pretending they are anything else.
Unfortunately, Elizabeth warren is completely fine with this, and maybe part of the LIHOP Wellan is mentioning in my other thread here.

We must change the system of money.
I don’t usually post two separate threads with similar ideas but this was the original point I was trying to make and lost it in the minutia, and I think it is necessary to keep them separate.

2 Likes

According to Orlov, most of the Murder Industrial Complex is deteriorating or broken:

Peace
Po

1 Like

Imagine if this MIC turned its attention to devising the equipment necessary to clean the plastics debris from the oceans - no wars could possibly out - demand the long term need for planetary scale operations. What if these companies turned their attention to combinations of recycling of metals and plastics coordinated with reuse manufacturing? What if a generation of technically minded youth turned their attention to turning the MIC around? Never let go of the what-ifs
Very sad to see the cultural tunnel vision of the delusion of success by death so deeply inured to true adventure and life changing possibilities. Mother Nature will in the long run no doubt regard these as she would a petunia patch and pinch their old blossoms to dead-head them for the good of the planet. My understanding is that she doesn’t listen to human voices that say “not in my name”. One must actively assert these things in the human realm.

2 Likes

Neither am I confident that Death will cease to sell.

When you have as many powerful nations as we have at this time, who are inclined to murder their neighbors out of political differences, etc., and the corresponding governments of those nations, have such a small regard for life, liberty, and the pursuit of individual freedoms, the likelihood of us seeing a change in this high profitability agenda, is virtually nil.

At least in our lifetime.

1 Like

I am so tired of the “steroid” analogy. Steroids have got nothing on the MIC, nor did they ever. It’s like calling Jeffrey Daumer a pervert.

When Hartung lays out what brought him to his conclusions, it is all much stronger.

Please don’t put Eisenhower on too high of a pedestal. We shouldn’t forget he had 8 years to help dismantle or at least lessen the strength of the MIC, and this was a time when they weren’t nearly as entrenched and powerful as they are now. Instead all he did was warn us what was coming, as he was walking out the door.

Note: I’m not picking on you, just thought you would want to know, Smedley Butler was never the MC Commandant, just a frontrunner for the position in 1930.

1 Like

Thanks for that info - I was mistaken.

I suppose it’s a weakness - looking for some decency in a very indecent world.

His words struck a chord. Like Smedley Butler - I imagine a decent person there at the core - caught up in the same indecent world that we all inhabit.

2 Likes

The more I look at 9-11 the more I believe that it was about money rather than politics.

1 Like

Thanks, interesting read.
I did pick up on a mistake about the countries shipbuilding capabilities. The author claims there is only one shipyard to build each different type class of ships or subs. This is correct with aircraft carriers, but all others there’s at least two.This information is available in the annual report the author sites as a reference. If the others are like the one near me (Ingalls), they are capable of greatly ramping up production, if they needed to. This is the only area I have any knowledge in, but it made me wonder if the other areas were under-rated as well in the piece.

I understand, it was a great speech. If I remember correctly, you live in Canada (if not, I apologize). I’m curious if the coup Gen. Butler thwarted, that you referenced, is taught in history classes there in school. Here in the US, the capitalists have had it removed from history, and our kids never learn of this deed in public school.

1 Like