Home | About | Donate

Message to Immigrants in Trump's Latest 'Hardhearted' Proposal: If You're Poor, Now or Ever, You Don't Belong

Message to Immigrants in Trump's Latest 'Hardhearted' Proposal: If You're Poor, Now or Ever, You Don't Belong

Julia Conley, staff writer

A new proposal by the Trump administration sends a clear message to immigrants—low-income individuals and families need not apply for permanent residence.

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”
This should be removed from the statue of liberty.

The entire poem:
New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
Emma Lazarus

The golden door as now become the entance to a gold plated lie!

As bad as that sounds I think it is consistent with most other country’s immigration policies. I guess this would replace the lottery system or would be a provision. Leave it to Trump to make it bigoted.

Memo to POTUS:

If the US would stop spreading death, disease and destruction around the globe, there would be a lot fewer people fleeing their homelands.

That memo should also go to the US Kabuki Kongress and a majority of the fine citizens of these (Dis) United States.

Denial of social benefits as a condition for continued legal residency is NOT “consistent with most other country’s immigration policies”. It is certainly is not the case in Canada or the UK for starters.

Beautiful poem. Too bad it is no longer true. Seems appropriate to me that not only the poem should be removed from the statue of liberty, but also, her torch should be replaced with a gun!

True. Germany e.g. took in 1 million refugees many of which receive financial support from the government:

And high up above my eyes could clearly see
The Statue of Liberty
Sailing away to sea

– Paul Simon, “American Tune”

No one who is not a Citizen, can get food stamps, or Medicaid, or TANF, or any Government assistance, unless they are a Refugee that is brought in by our Government, and that is only for the first 5 years, and then it ends.
But, a Citizen Can receive food stamps and medicaid ect, if we are financially eligible. What this is saying is that American (baby) citizens, receiving , legally, food assistance and medical coverage, will cause their parents to be deported.
Add to that, the Declaration by Jeff Sessions, that children will be removed from their parents, at the border, and carted off and put in Government detention.
So I want to know , where are all of these babies and small children, both Citizens and emigrant hopefuls, going to be put? How many Adults will care for a room full of babies?? How many Teachers will come to the new, private, children’s’ prison, to teach those old enough to go to school?

We are both right in away, they are just nicer about it. In Australia you have to be able to support yourself or have a sponsor, I think there is a large cash requirement too. Anyway, those conditions are by other requirements such as education that pretty much does the same thing. Last time I checked anyway.,

The poor should pull themselves up by their bootstraps like Trump did. Oh, wait.

And yet, I’m beginning to believe that if you are rich (the top 10%), you don’t belong…