Home | About | Donate

Methane Emissions From Fossil Fuel Industry May Be 60 Percent Higher Than Estimates: Study

Methane Emissions From Fossil Fuel Industry May Be 60 Percent Higher Than Estimates: Study

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

As President Barack Obama heralds the ratification of the Paris climate agreement, a new study shows that methane emissions from the fossil fuel industry are far higher than previously estimated.

I didn't see any reference to the massive amount of clathrates escaping from the warming shallow shores of the Arctic.

Right. Raising corn to burn is a silly idea and always has been.

Doesn't the raising and harvesting of cattle for food contribute a huge amount of methane gas to the atmosphere?
Aren't feed lots simply giant methane gas factories?
Eat less meat and burn less corn.

And yet another "greater that we thought." How many times must we hear it - "more than our models suggested" "higher than we anticipated" blah blah blah.

Human beings are the cause of climate disruption and species extinction. There are 7 BILLION humans on this great Mother Earth and our numbers are growing. When will human beings realize that their genetics are not all that special and, through compassion for the natural world (the tree spirits, the land and the water and all the finned, furred and winged ones), stop bringing more humans in to the world. Humans who will only bring more scars upon the land (to quote an old John Denver song).

7 BILLION humans need a major consciousness shift - to regard the life of a monarch butterfly or even a dung beetle as a life equally sacred to a human life - and begin to act accordingly.

I used to be hopeful but not optimistic. Now, I'm not even hopeful.