Home | About | Donate

Mexican Wolf Numbers Decline in Southwest

Mexican Wolf Numbers Decline in Southwest

SILVER CITY, N.M. - The number of endangered Mexican gray wolves in the wild in Arizona and New Mexico dropped to 97 last year from 110 in 2014, according to a just-released census by federal and state biologists. The troubling decline, which follows five years of annual population increases, was likely driven by the illegal killings of many of the 13 wolves found dead and the 11 wolves missing, as well as a low survival rate among the dozens of pups born last spring.

###

Ahh that old old disease, the American Red Neck, is rearing its head rather robustly.

To be sure these killings are no accident. One only has to follow the coyote hunts, that the local gun nut shops are running, to see the disease showing itself.

Being raised as a hunter in a family of hunters, I never can understand the mentality, or lack there of, of these people with magazine rifles that call themselves hunters.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

There is local support even from the ranchers to see the wolf reintroduced.
Just keep pressing ahead, we will succeed.

It is amazing when one comes face to face with a predator.
You're my brothers age, I'm only a few ahead of you.

I can remember when a mountain lion used to approach our camps in washington.
It would circle and call out scream towards your firelight, but you never saw them.
They would harass you, make you scared for about an hour, then move on.
It was more of a "Hey you're in my area, what you doing here."

It wasn't till decades later that I came eye to eye with one.
It was afternoon, she had come into our acreage for water at the neighbors parcel.
She slowly sauntered around a juniper and came into view.
At first from about 200 yds, straight at you, she looked like a big coyote, but the lumbering walk was all wrong. Then she turned profile and I saw the long curl tail. I about shit.

I had been sitting there silent not moving, but my knee jerk apprehension made her notice me. She looked straight at me, watched for about a minute, then turned and followed her tracks exactly in reverse and stayed totally out of sight as she went back down into the arroyo.

Next morning when I got up, she had left tracks across my courtyard and through my porch area and off the end of the porch, her tracks leading away back down the hill.

Finally understood why my huskies wouldn't go out the previous nights !