Home | About | Donate

Michigan Flood, Says Group, Shows US Unprepared for 'Nightmarish' Threat of Nuclear Disaster Combined With Pandemic

Yeah, we already know it is not a good idea in areas that experience flooding, I wonder how these things hold up in forest fires?

Odd, isn’t it, that hundreds if not thousands of years ago we knew how to mitigate flooding. The Mississippi is a good example. We will have another major flood of that great river. Are we prepared this time. NO.
Are we prepared for other disasters like pandemics, as you say, forest fires, coastal flooding as the ice continues to melt?
A fine kettle of fish we regularly find ourselves in these days.

Oh I agree, I would like just once for the news to include how our new national preparedness plan has been completed and an outline on how we are expected to know what it is and how we plan to have all necessary items available to implement the plan instead of the statistics on how badly we failed and gee no one can find the manual.

I was working at an inside job and tornado season approached. I asked the boss if we had a shelter plan. He said no, we’re all gonna die anyway.
There was a man with too much power.

I think government is trying to tell us “we are on our own.”

Since TRIGA reactors do not produce electricity, there would be no electricity to meter.

Since the town of Paradise was burnt to the ground, we now have evacuation drills for entire communities in areas with high fire hazards. Not where I live, we just deal with the particulate matter and very bad air quality.

Good to know…thanks

Kind of like living down river from a shoreline outhouse eh?

Well, when you go through the area it is kind of like an episode of “road warrior” with the charred remains of once were trees and then it gets worse. Then further up the road is still ancient redwoods and all that implies. Here, all the wells are going dry but it is still the center of several different eco-systems and fault lines. Just a whiff of the ole crapper.

I suppose the rumors that aliens were living beneath Paradise is all just that.
Moving on then.

If you can drink the better part of a bottle of gewürztraminer you can probably find some, that is if the gurus don’t get you first. It has been a long time since I was there, and now it is gone.

Just for the sake of accuracy, no isotope of plutonium is a fission product. Plutonium is a transmutation product. Fission can be considered a kind of transmutation process, but plutonium is formed by a different transmutation process.

You are correct - I was trying to say that Plutonium was produced by Uranium fission reactors as a by-product (U238 + n > U-239 >Np-239 > PU-239) . Not a ‘fission-product’ in the classical sense, but rather a product of a fission reaction. Thanks for keeping me honest.

1 Like

Figures you would return

There goes the thread and the neighborhood

Don’t you have some toxic water to dispose of in Fukushima

How’s that going for you

Oh yeah your great idea is to release it into the Japanese Current

How sad for you and troglodyte to know your whole industry has been one slow motion train wreck

Kinda like drumps covid response

Deadly for everyone yet you keep singing the self praise

1 Like

Well let’s see if you can do research, how many people have died from nuclear reactors compared to deaths from hydroelectric dams failing in the last 100 years?

Is the TRIGA reactor actually owned by DOW? Last I heard it was broken down and parts shipped out to replace Davis Besse in Ohio.

This story is so bizarre that a news source actually thinks the reactor poses a greater risk than the dam that literally failed and caused the flooding.

Yes. They own it, they operate it, and they are the licensee. They use it as a neutron source for materials testing and as part of their radio-chemistry program.

“Last I heard it was broken down and parts shipped out to replace Davis Besse in Ohio.”

Davis Besse is a PWR power station. Don’t think there’s anything usable for that from a TRIGA reactor. Are you perhaps mixing two different reactors? A long time ago, they were building a PWR power station in Midland, and they got it to about 85 percent compete before the anti-nukes managed to kill the project off, and some of the parts for that went to Davis Besse–most notably, when DB had their infamous reactor head corrosion issue, they got the replacement head for that from the mothballed Midland site. And Dow was involved in that power reactor later, when they helped convert it into a gas-fired electricity/steam cogeneration plant. And I can understand why you would assume that a group opposed to nuclear power would be raising a stink about a nuclear power plant, but no, Beyond Nuclear is being beyond stupid here. They have their hair on fire about the threat floodwaters pose to a little pool reactor of a kind they let students run at universities, which is not pressurized, has no generation capability, and doesn’t even get hot enough to boil.

This is the kind of reactor Dow has (with photo):
~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIGA

Dow’s current license:
~https://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/nonpower/dcc-mi-triga.html
(The power rating is for thermal peak pulse–it used to be capped at 100 kw)

Article on Dow’s reactor:
~https://www.ourmidland.com/news/article/Dow-nuclear-reactor-turns-40-7012691.php

Article on the blocked Midland power reactor:
~https://www.ourmidland.com/news/article/A-look-back-at-Midland-s-brush-with-nuclear-energy-6980696.php

“This story is so bizarre that a news source actually thinks the reactor poses a greater risk than the dam that literally failed and caused the flooding.”

And greater than the risk from the chemicals that have spilled into the floodwaters. News is what sells, not what’s important, or true.

I’m not sure If it’s two different reactors or if the original Midland Reactor was moved, but the vessel head from Unit 2 reactor was removed in 2006 from the Midland Reactor and used as a replacement for Davis-Besse.

Correct. And that’s unrelated to Dow’s reactor that they are talking about here. Completely different kind of reactor.

Just like the infrastructure maintenance that is being largely neglected, this is yet another example of how largely disinterested are Congress and the Courts. Increasingly, we are on our own.

1 Like