Home | About | Donate

Michigan Legislature Should Repeal Emergency Manager Law

Michigan Legislature Should Repeal Emergency Manager Law

Kary Moss

While all eyes and ears will be on the governor’s State of the State address this week, it is as much a seminal moment for the Legislature. For without them, nothing of any significance will happen.

As the Flint water crisis has attracted widespread national attention, the Department of Justice and Attorney General have announced independent investigations. The director of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality and his spokesperson have resigned. The governor has formed several task forces and declared a state of emergency. National media are on the ground.

It is beyond me why the Department of Justice has not stepped into this matter when it happened just like in Detroit and it seems like in another state something like this happened when republican governor appointed an so called emergency manager. A lot of shenanigan go on and public property transferred to private rich individuals buying the public up for pennies o the $$$$$$$$$$$. Who if not US Justice Department is out protecting democracy and civil rights?

Hate to repost my own comments, but this one rattles me more than anything since "the shrub's" grasp at unlimited executive power.

I don't care how may partisan judges or legislatures have ruled in it's favor, the "emergency manger" is an invalid and illegal device for an elected government.

It is like reading the pathetic legal trash from John Yoo telling us that the Executive Branch may act unrestricted without counter balance from the Legislative and Judicial Branches.
It is pure illegality, plain and simple.

While the financial obligations of a government may become insolvent, the elected government may not be abdicated or replaced by any other method than election.

Further a government may not, and can not, decline to perform the duties as chartered in their constitutions.

Once the government exists outside the constitutions of the states, these crimes naturally come into existence. A government acting outside it's constitution is by definition illegal, hence the spawning of such subsequent crimes.

Yes...Like knowingly poisoning the progeny of the citizenry.

There are plenty of legislatures that would like to vote new forms of oppression.
Just because a group of rednecks vote, doesn't make it legal.
It's like reading Dred Scott rationals. PATHETIC on all levels.

I have been a Michigan resident and voter for over forty years.

While I fully agree with Ms Moss that the emergency manager law is now a civil rights issue, I would argue that it became such only after its application to economically challenged communities. In the first place, however, it was a constitutional issue. And moreso after the referendum that we voters passed.

I am concerned that calling it a civil rights issue may somehow add to the burden of those who struggle for civil rights, especially in areas of institutional racism. It is the duty of all who value democratic procedure, to fight this abominable affront to the Constitution.

I saw that too. The reduction of what appears to be a democratic issue, re-branded as a civil rights issue. Given the race of these most oppressed, it does seem logical.

I think that one advantage is that when we are dealing with protected classes, it works.
When we litigate based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, much law has been argued and won.

In the picture caption at the top, but not in the article: the criminal imbecile who's "emergency managed" Flint into tragedy is not facing jail, or even the loss of his job, but is rather being transferred to "emergency manage" THE DETROIT PUBLIC SCHOOLS??!! Like, "He did a pretty good job poisoning kids' bodies; let's give him a shot at their minds"? Is that what the governmental officials are "thinking" up there in Michigan?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

rolson, We agree. And I take your point about the expediency of litigation using class alignments. Yet my reluctance remains, for the simple reason that all children's brains are injured by lead poisoning, and all children's brains are stunted with inadequate education. I am not a 'disadvantaged' person, but my kids are equally affected.

It is my opinion that the fundamental reason behind the emergency manager law is economic domination and greed for profit by the few. We of the 99.9% are from all divisions.among humanity.

No idea what is so attractive about feudalism that our financial classes are in such a hurry to reintroduce it to the world.
But that's all an 'emergency manager' is: in another time, he or she would go by the title, 'M' Lord"

Sister Moss is right, tho, as are many in the CD community talking about his subject elsewhere today. Michiganders need to take responsibility for their (irresponsible) votes and get these charlatans out of office.

Never understood how this abomination could escape a judicial test, even in a watered down American legal system. Being broke is simply no justification ever for a declaration of financial martial law.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hear Hear Your point is indeed true

A truly eloquent distinction

Victimization knows no divides

And what we see here is criminal greed and treachery of an unelected government

It IS treason for a government to poison it's own children isn't it.

Why is it domestic terrorism for Timothy McVeigh to bomb the children but not if our officials knowingly poison them for over a year

Not much I can say. I find the "rigged machines" response to all things political to be less than appealing and it wasn't my intent to kick off a "debate" about those in this subthread. While there are some interesting knowledge gaps that I'd like to see filled in regarding the changes in the reliability of exit polling, there's simply no proof of any election rigging having actually been done--only that it could be done. I've read the USCountVote.org "rebuttal" to the Edison et al report and, as scholarship goes, it was poor. I'm being generous there, btw.

That all said, there's still discussions to be had about the values that Michigan voters--read: the 'white dudes'--are taking in with them to the polls. Point is simply that there's plenty of blame to go around for disaster of poverty dictatorship in Michigan.

You do realize you hijacked my thread, right? :slightly_smiling:

Vote gaming is almost as American as apple pie and has a long and distinguished history. That said, as a general rule, if there's provable fraud, no one has more motivation than the screwed over to pursue a remedy for it. Until Democrats start sounding the alarm for getting screwed out of wins, I'm not going to chase that particular dragon. As for local irregularities, they're as common as dust. They shouldn't be, but they are.

One thing of note is that punch cards--generally the second most reliable form of the vote since it leaves a physical trail--exhibited exit poll changes in line with those of touch screens, the technology people most worry about. And this is one reason that scholars in political science and sociology generally aren't pursuing the emergence of a coordinated rigging campaign. Well, that and if you're going to rig an election, do it a lot better than it's being done!

The best explanation to date--although still without sufficient supporting evidence, which is why I'd like to see it studied some more--is the change in reporting habits of right wingers to pollsters, at least in competitive districts where the results are uncertain. There's a precedent for this that first began during the 2000 Census (in which I worked in grad school at the time, so I saw this up close).

Citing local irregularities is fine and all, but is by no means proof of a nationally grounded conspiracy to rig election results on a national scale; at least, not enough to rely on "vote rigging" as an explanation to larger voting patterns in other discussions.