Home | About | Donate

Midterm Takeaway: We Need a Lot More Democracy

Midterm Takeaway: We Need a Lot More Democracy

Peter Certo

I can’t be the only one who spent the night of the midterms tossing and turning. Though I managed to shut off the coverage and try to sleep, spasms of anxiety woke me repeatedly throughout the dreary hours.

Ultimately, Republicans picked off several red-state Senate seats while Democrats won back the House and at least seven governships.

Peter, “If Democrats ever hope to really come in from the wilderness, they need to support a host of radical pro-democracy reforms.”

They don’t hope to do sheet.

Here’s my commentary to the NYT regarding the level of ‘non-change’ that will happen after this facade of mid-term elections by both the ‘rougher-talking’ neocon ‘R’ Vichy Party of the Empire and the ‘smoother-lying’ neoliberal-con ‘D’ Vichy Party ‘owned by’ the exact same Disguised Global Capitalist EMPIRE:

And I may be over-estimating any possible improvement in our oppression and tyranny under the Empire.

As the late great Jewish intellectual, Hannah Arendt warned her own German people:

“Empire abroad entails tyranny at home” — a lesson that the German, Japanese, French, Italian, and Russian people learned – as Ike and Tina Turner sang, “the hard way”.

Democracy was given birth and is sustained by divisions in society. “Divided we fall.” More democracy requires more divisions which means the faster we fall. If we don’t want to hit bottom which seems increasingly likely, we need less divisions and less democracy until there is none at all and only unity remains.

Sounds like you are advocating a dictatorship.

You misinterpreted the sounds. I clearly advocated unity. https://thelastwhy.ca/poems/2018/11/3/democracy-the-death-of-us

Democrats tend to be whimpy. Many of them even believe Assad poison gassed his fellow citizens.

Excellent article with key facts lined out. Republicans have powerful motivating forces, a whole cable news channel, multiple radio stations, plus Facebook and other online media. The mainstream media let the president be its copy editor, blaring caravan stories over-and-over the last two weeks (where are they now?). A coordinated message about “illegals” taking “your stuff” got Republicans to vote, and wavering ones came home.

Doug, I’m not sure what distinction you’re making. It does read like Democracy --> Divisions --> fall.

I’m not sure what you read. The fact is, divided, humanity falls. We’ve been falling since the first divide. As the divides have increased so has our rate of descent. Democracy is just a way to give everyone a chance to contribute to our self-destruction.

I don’t really think the kind of government matters as long as it can go around ripping up and smashing other countries. Just stop the wars.