Home | About | Donate

Million-Liter Cyanide Spill in Argentina Highlights Canadian Mining Crimes

Million-Liter Cyanide Spill in Argentina Highlights Canadian Mining Crimes

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Highlighting how corporate extractivism and lack of accountability is driving the destruction of Latin American communities, a Canadian mining company has now confirmed that more than one million liters of cyanide solution spilled from the Barrick Gold Veladero mine in San Juan, Argentina this month—making the spill more than four times larger than originally estimated.

Canada, Japan, US, Germany, etc. ALL culpable for myriad environmental, ecological, geopolitical, and socioeconomic atrocities in any number of Central and South American countries.... Not one abides by the environmental or labor laws set by their countries as to do so would cut into their profits. The encomienda of the past (Spain, Portugal); U S Fruit (and U S Marine invasions) I Nicaragua; enslavement of native peoples and usurpation of their lands for bananas, etc. in several Central American countries; massive mining and deforestation in South America while fomenting civil strife (backing malevolent dictators like Somoza in Nicaragua, Noriega in Panama, Pinochet in Chile, Rios Montt in Guatemala to name a few); all done to extract their natural resources for pennies on the dollar and with total disregard for the inevitable destruction and devastation left behind.

History repeats itself...over and over and over. That's what happens when MONEY and PROFITS are the pre-eminent motivators.

I can understand the Canadian government's actions here; aiding polluting corporations has been the top priority of the Harper government all along. But WHY is Argentina's government covering for the company? This seems to be a universal pattern, along with the early reports of about every spill I've ever heard of being smaller than later reports--usually there is a third increment, when it goes up again. A million liters of cyanide solution in the river, and nothing to worry about? We need a global revolution.

Stephen Harper did many crimes. He should do the time for the rest of his life. Canada should pay for the cleanup and not be allowed to send any more of their firms abroad to mine.

An object lesson as to the difference between the soulless, exploitive asshole persons who are corporations and what are really persons. There is no corporate ethic but to extract wealth from any situation. The only public benefits to the corporate form, are those mandated by law. That is why corporate persons are only fit for society if tightly restrained by law.