Home | About | Donate

Millionaires Stop Paying Into Social Security Tomorrow, Highlighting Need to Scrap Payroll Tax Cap

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/02/18/millionaires-stop-paying-social-security-tomorrow-highlighting-need-scrap-payroll

2 Likes

And let’s never forget that in order to get the original Social Security past the racists in Congress, FDR had to agree to exempt domestic workers–mostly women of color–and railroad workers–mostly black men. This historic wrong must be righted.

14 Likes

“From everyone to whom much has been given, much will be required; and from the one to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be demanded” (Luke 12:48).

The magic book sure is useful for vacuuming in voters but seems a little difficult to use as an instruction manual for those to whom much has been given…

8 Likes

There are four classes of people in the US.

The vulgar rich.

The middle rich. (sometimes referred to as the middle class)

The middle poor (from the middle class before the Bush/Obama Depression)

The poor, poor.

7 Likes

Social Security payroll tax should be ‘progressive’ all the way up to $100 Billion per year!

Or even better, President Bernie should propose a “balanced” program of complete ‘WEALTH REFORM’ on any exploited, looted, scammed, hoarded, monopolized, ‘negative externality cost’ created, and ‘taken-out-of-productive-use’ wealth over $50M.

3 Likes

I’ve been attempting to find talks and lectures that frame economics, particularly the financialization of the economy, in terms of ethics that consider the impacts on human life. How our sense of time, interpersonal relationships and capacity to meet the suppression from debt, having the energy to lovingly imagine creatively, and finding the breadth of spectrum in which human life thrives. Today human life does not thrive under the system. All of the lectures address the exigencies of analysis - but from the point of view of labor and ethics. Imagine Prof. Richard Wolff with theological/ethics lens.

For any who might be interested Prof. Kathyrn Tanner, Marquand Professor of Systematic Theology at Yale Divinity School, presented a series of six lectures at University of Edinburgh in the 2016 Gifford Lecture.

the 4th lecture: “Noting but the present” *ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LklnQvUuckY

Wow, the top and cut off rate of SS is $137 000. That’s hardly anything today. I wonder why that is not taken into consideration when looking at te economy. More old time stores are closing and more 1099 workers are here. It’s hard to have a decent economy if no one has money beyond paying for food and rent.

10 Likes

As stated, tomorrow is the day for a millionaire to stop paying SS tax if income is split evenly over one year.
But I suspect many millionaires stop paying SS tax sometime in Jan each year. Maybe some as of Jan 2!

5 Likes

Thus, ipso facto, millionaires are enemies of the people as well as all Earth’s children.

Capitalism is sick.

9 Likes

i recommend “democracy at work” with dr richard wolffe.

3 Likes

The austerity pushers clearly have way too much money.

From On The Ropes, Neil J. Smith

No citizen should be richer than the government and no citizen should be poorer than the government

5 Likes

Most of those to whom much has been given do not believe in the Bible…BUT THEY PRETEND THEY DO!

4 Likes

I earned enough income only once in my life to be exempt from S.S. but at that time the exemption was the last thing I needed. That was when I realized in America the fix was in and that what is really true, America is: by the filthy, rich people; of the filthy rich people; and for the filthy rich people. The Constitution to be true, needs to start with: WE THE FILTHY RICH PEOPLE!

2 Likes

Hebrews 13:5:

"Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

You really should read the whole book and not just the parts you like.

Use of the term ‘millionaire’ here is misleading. The term millionaire is usually taken to mean those whose net worth exceeds $1-million while the use of the term here seems to mean those who make over $1-million per year. A very large percentage of the senior population have net worths over $1-million. In fact I would wager even Bernie is worth that amount. There are , at latest estimate only about $500,000 people making more than $1-million per year with a significant percentage being entertainers and sports stars.

4 Likes

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), … "…including a $1,300 a year benefit increase for seniors with incomes of 16,000 a year or less." Want to see the economy take a leap for the better? Just boost the un-tethered 's to poverty level seniors. When low income seniors get a cost of living wage, that is still not a living wage, they reduce food stamp or housing assistance enough to negate any dollar increase. Indigent seniors may have worked harder than you! Seniors know they are grumpy but can’t you care anyway?

1 Like

Sanders money came from a book he wrote in the last few years.

1 Like

And implement a Wall Street market transaction tax and make all income, labor or non-labor, taxed at the same rate.

2 Likes

Hello Senior_Citizen,
Don’t just look to wages but make the tax across all income whether earned or unearned. The the the LOOPHOLE that allows all the wealthy to grow even wealthier each and every second of every day! Since the REICH WING PREFERS THE TERM DEATH REFORM I WILL USE IT AGAINST THEM. Whenever anyone passes on the estate gets taxed. The wealthier the estate the bigger the tax. No exemptions, nor exceptions. One dollar for the least value of an estate to 99% for the largest valued estates. If the wealthy reject this then they must give up their citizenship and take only what they can carry in theirr own two hands while everything of any value stays here to be redistributed to the 99%. If the wealth was transferred prior to death than the government will find out where the wealth is located and then take everything!

Right. I don’t understand why the gap from $150K-$250K was allowed. Can anyone shed light on the reason that gap was suggested?

Please enlighten me. Are domestic workers and railroad workers exempt from SS benefits?