Home | About | Donate

Millions Expected to Join Global Women's March on Jan. 18 to 'Act as a Catalyst for Political and Social Change'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/01/17/millions-expected-join-global-womens-march-jan-18-act-catalyst-political-and-social

1 Like

Does the name Lysistrata suggest actions that might be more effective than another march, as commendable as that might be?

3 Likes

Hi GuildF3112S:

LOL oh I love that story! Women everywhere love it- : )

1 Like

anyone know why CD had killed the comments button on some articles and not others?
Possibly not including comments on the new articles after a certain date
What’s going on here?

1 Like

See my questions to GuildF312S
Any thoughts?

1 Like

Just noticed this morning. Perhaps they went to a similar setup as truthdig or mother jones, where the comments can only be accessed at the bottom of the page. If so, that may explain the loss of comments on articles older than yesterday.
They certainly didn’t announce anything

1 Like

if you can find a comments button on any of the article pages please tell us where?

Just at the bottom of this one so far.
I guess we’ll know more after the next article is posted. I just checked my email. No notices from CD about any policy changes.

Probably Maintenance of some sort - It’s all back up now!

2 Likes

The moderators are micromanaging quite a lot these days.

1 Like

That’s what i thought. All back to normal… phew!!! (Well haven’t tried posting any links yet)

Don’t know that one stardust. But the archaic treatment of women is long overdue for a solution to the abhorrent ways woman are used, punished, sexually harassed etc. in some countries.

2 Likes

Some? Try being a peace activist right here in the US in 2000-2004.
When the true history of the antislavery cause shall be written, women will occupy a large space in its pages; for the cause of the slave has been peculiarly woman’s cause.

—Frederick Douglass
5 Likes

Off thread, but a chance for me to express frustration: Occasionally I try to comment, or call in, to NPR shows. I do this because many liberals Worship NPR . I try to give alternatives to the liberals’ putting a liberal venir on Washington consensus right-leaning paradigms. Yesterday , a a weekly roundup show, NPR removed every posting I made about the raid of ‘Mothers 4 housing’ in Oakland. I had included references to the police use of AR-15s, riot gear, tanks, and a military robot. I also showed a photo of the women and their little children, who the police evicted. After half a dozen, or so, removed posts, I found that my account might have been suspended. There were other posts trashing Sanders, several trashing Warren, some about sports, and others about, Spacex , a Chinese girl dying of poverty, and other random topics. NPR has some type of ombudsperson. I’ve been waiting for a year or so to get back to me about biased coverage of Venezuela. They never got back regarding their cheerleading of the US backed overthrow of Ghaddafi or the US backed coup in Honduras.

5 Likes

I think the reason is that you first need to read the article (or at least click on it as if you were going to read it) and then the comments bar appears at the top. Naughty, naughty, were you among those who comment on the headlines instead of reading the article? People want to talk politics but be warned, if you want to talk without first reading the article you then join the boobs r us spoon fed culture that believe most people are not smart enough to actually read and understand complex issues. Headlines only? That culture surrounds us all constantly. Resistance knows what it is resisting and why.

I noticed that they have eliminated the link option as well. Maybe they will soon limit responses to “tweets” just like the articles . . .

Unfair to CD. They have been relying on the honor system but hey, this is America and evidently progressives are not immune. CD has always had a no link policy where other people’s intellectual property is protected. By being too lazy to say it in your own words and adding url links instead, that then results in articles that bring income to the writers gets published elsewhere (CD) without the authors being paid for it.

2 Likes

WRONG. Though links have been moderated, they were able to be posted and even had a “link” icon to help. This allowed links to related articles. It has nothing to do with intellectual property.

5 Likes

Also, one cannot “say in your own words” a 5000 word linked article that may be of interest to those wishing to go deeper.

4 Likes

NPR is not liberal and hasn’t been in a very long time. Jut look at the list of corporate sponsors. That is who they serve now. I stopped listening/donating to NPR years ago.

5 Likes