Home | About | Donate

Mirroring the Powerful They Often Cover, Major Newspapers Dominated by Graduates of Elite Schools, Study Finds

Mirroring the Powerful They Often Cover, Major Newspapers Dominated by Graduates of Elite Schools, Study Finds

Julia Conley, staff writer

A recent study offers data to support the commonly-held notion that the news media are staffed largely by Americans from "elite" educational backgrounds—likely placing serious limits on the perspective top news outlets are able to offer about the nation and people on which they are tasked with reporting.

I’d hazard a guess that the educational, socioeconomic and cultural pedigrees of the owners and publishers have more influence on the content of the “news” than do those of the grunts in the newsroom, but chances are that the grunts are chosen for their similarity with the employer anyway. Today’s Doremus Jessups aren’t getting anywhere near a major daily except as subscribers.

So, the Mainstream Media hires graduates from elite schools because they’re easier to manipulate into reporting “fake” news or “altered” news to the masses providing they pay them what their education demands.

Doesn’t say much for those of weak moral and ethical character, does it?

Oh yes, it’s built in. I had an upper boss who refused to hire any manager that wasn’t from his Alma mater and said so. I got the impression this was an oath in secret societies at universities where they invite the graduates to join, in the last half of their college years.

The gilded gates of the fourth estate

The article is flawed. Possibly it would have been correct fifty years ago; not today. For (1) Student bodies at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Brown, Amherst, Williams, and most “elite” private colleges and universities are diverse racially and economically, to the point that the political right is extremely critical of their admissions policies. Many of these schools practice need-blind admissions, which offer full scholarships (no loans) to everyone who is admitted, based on the students’ abilities to pay. (2) Student bodies at elite schools tend strongly toward the Left, support social justice, and are critical of the wealthy establishment, another issue that draws the ire of the Right. (3) Students at elite schools who do tend Right do not as a rule go into journalism; they go to business or law schools. Those who enter journalism by and large want to be investigative reporters. (4) Graduates who wind up at the WSJ are likely to support the GOP, but has anyone noticed how critical the WSJ has been of Trump?

I wouldn’t go nuts over this. About half of the students went to the 29 top schools which aren’t even listed, only what amounts to the top five are listed, and the other half come from the rest of the schools. The U of Missouri is known for journalism. I wonder how many people went to that school.

Shocked, simply shocked.

NOT.

We needed a study to tell us this?

Really?

Well there goes that stereotype. Yes it has been a while since the elite schools were mostly populated by rich kids from prep schools. Perhaps excelling on a school newspaper staff can help get a job or dong great work for a local newspaper. What we need is a study on the hiring practices of the NY Times and WSJ before drawing too many conclusions.

Unfortunately Common Dreams, in accepting that article, has unthinkingly perpetuated that stereotype.