Home | About | Donate

Mission Failure Admission as US Abandons Program to Train Syrian Rebels

1. I'm happy to read that we are no longer going to be siding with terrorists
  2. A small embarrassment now is much better than a huge fiasco, a la Iraq, 10 or 20 years later.

A senior defense official said there would be no more recruitment of moderate rebels.

In the first place, there is no such thing as a " moderate " rebel. That term has to be one of the all time oxymorons. Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig! Or the moderate rebels murdered many innocent people, but they did it moderately,with kindness! The moderate rebels were nothing more than proxy thugs for the Amerikan Empire's vested interests.

This program is mindful of the failed SOG (Special Operations Group) during the Vietnam conflict. In the military's own official history, they admitted the entire operation was based on stupid ideas and idiotic planning. They would train "insurgents" (Vietnamese volunteers) to be parachuted into North Vietnam to conduct sabotage and recruitment of an internal opposition. They would fly pracitice runs the night before the actual drop, alerting NVA units to be ready the next night when the team would be inserted. The team members were captured or killed without exception. The captured soldiers were compelled to send back erronious reports of success and further lure the Americans into dropping more supplies and troops who were also instantly killed or turned. One American commander, realizing the total lack of results from the program, suggested we just take the South Vietnamese volunteers out back, shoot them ourselves and save a lot of money and wasted effort. These fools in the govt. and military are so puffed up in their egotism they can't even learn from their own mistakes. The problem with thinking you know everything is nobody can tell you anything and you fail to learn. I'm surprised they are shutting this one down. They'll probably try the same thing later with a different acronym because changing the name of a failed program is their usual answer to failure.

For Murder Inc. it will still be business as usual.

Somebody suggested (I think it was Noam Chomsky) the US accomplished exactly what it set out to do in Vietnam which was to waste the place back into the stone age and show everyone else what opposing American interests will get them. Certainly the Vietnamese are only now starting to recover from the massive destruction wrought on their country while the good old USA went on to become richer than ever. Looking at it in those terms, I'd have to say the Vietnamese won a Pyrrhic victory at best.

Any that think this announcement had nothing to do with Putin's intervention and the risk of more US treachery being exposed raise your hand!

It would be nice to imagine Putin just saved the US taxpayer some billions of dollars but unfortunately the MIC will find some other means of spending this money. The war profiteers demand it.

And let's not forget CIA black ops. drug money that will still be funding and suppling Islamic Terrorist in Syria to fight the Assad government. I won't be surprised if Russian war planes
start being shot down with stinger missiles. That was one of Insane McCain's ideas to start shooting down Russian war planes.

Absolutely! At least one of the attempts at training and supplying military has hopefully actually ended. But this time there was no comparison to the funds and down the eternal MIC rat hole that has taken place in such "efforts?" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

However, even if the DOD has made this decision, will the myriad of "contractors" hired by State and the CIA continue? Think the death and destruction of Fallujah the result of the deaths of four "contractors."

Those posting about VietNam might remember an old Pete Seeger song of that "conflict" since that's the current term for war. Hopefully, Obama and
Ash Carter have begun to end the wading into the "Big Muddy." Hope springs eternal.

Just a couple of the verses of the lyrics, but enough to make the point. For those two young to remember, Lyndon Johnson was the "big fool." Maybe John McCain, et al has taken his place? Suspect the rat hole will remain wide open.

"Well, I'm not going to point any moral;
I'll leave that for yourself
Maybe you're still walking, you're still talking
You'd like to keep your health.
But every time I read the papers
That old feeling comes on;
We're -- waist deep in the Big Muddy
And the big fool says to push on.

Waist deep in the Big Muddy
Waist deep in the Big Muddy
Waist deep! Neck deep! Soon even a
Tall man'll be over his head, we're
Waist deep in the Big Muddy!
And the big fool says to push on! "

Would it be possible for ISIS to get hold of those stinger missiles, and start using them to suit their purposes elsewhere, perhaps shooting down US aircraft, such as drones, etc?

Especially seeing Stinger missiles are a plenty.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19931122&slug=1733233

The US is actively supporting ISIS, in a fashion that even Orwell couldn't have envisioned. I know several refugees from Iraq, and they are unequivocal in their belief that the US is largely behind the chaos in Iraq and Syria, and they ought to know - they were forced to flee their native country and give up everything they owned.. Every war in which the US is engaged is ONE BIG LIE.

Yes, no doubt about it!

We are bringing them ( fill in the country ) freedom and democracy. ONE BIG LIE!

We are fighting them over there ( fill in the country ) so we do not have to fight them here. ONE BIG LIE!

Too many lies to name or it would make this post too long.

"Mission Failure Admission: US Abandons Program to Train Syrian Rebels"

Ah! - At last some good news !-)

What are they going to do with all those unemployed moderate fighters? Well, at least they'll have a foursome for golf, or bridge. ha!

The US already implied they might be hiring those mercenaries for jobs they are lining up in Russia.

Well it looks like the US State Dept. was indirectly supplying some of those brand new Toyota trucks that Isis posses.

Yes, they do not learn because they never listen. Will they ever hear that Manifest Destiny was doomed to failure?

Our so-called "leaders" have cast our nations lot with terrorists and war criminals rather than stand with people who could be real honest allies (even given the total lack of morality of our leaders and military establishment in the first place) such as the Kurds and Houthis in Yemen.

We allowed the Turks to again attack the Kurds in Syria, an enormous failure of judgment, and the Saudis to attack the Houthis in yemen, both nations bombing civilians. Israeli war crimes have been documented ad nauseum over the last decades, their racist theocracy anathema to peace and truth. The Egyptian military regime/dictatorship targets journalists and prosecutes or kills anyone even remotely in opposition to their rule. Are our so-called leaders and military heirarchy so bereft of good judgment and moral compass? The answer is yes....all of them!

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/08/turkey-kurds-pkk-syria/401624/

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6223/turkey-isis-kurds

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2014/04/16/egyp-a16.html - Military junta implements reign of terror in Egypt

Haha. I guess they could try out for the Russian 4 man bobsled team....