Home | About | Donate

Mississippi Parents Demand an Answer: Are Charter Schools Constitutional?

Mississippi Parents Demand an Answer: Are Charter Schools Constitutional?

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Mississippi parents are challenging the public funding of charter schools on the grounds that it's not constitutional.

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), an advocacy group, filed a motion for a summary judgment this week on behalf of the parents, for a speedy answer to this question.

The SPLC appears to be behind the original suit:

And as noted in the linked account, the constitutional issue refers to the state constitution, not the federal, and hinges on very specific issues of taking funding directly from Jackson Public Schools for operations that are unsupervised by public boards. And that's the state-constitutional issue.

If the public understood exactly what are charter schools and who owns them, it would be a more informed conversation. Let me help you: It has been said they are a gravy train that runs straight to fat city (Forbes). The owners are hedge funds, wall street banks and giant real estate trusts. Your politicians and mine have given away our water systems (see Flint Michigan for worst example of how this worked out), our roads are now toll roads owned by the same suspects above, our parking that now cost five times more and of all things they have fired the traffic cops in some areas and allows Goldman Sachs to receive automatic fines from traffic cameras even if you were not driving the vehicle involved! Now these same oligarchs, assisted by our local and state politicians, want to sop up the last great pool of money they do not already control. Our tax money .. in this case property taxes that are commonly used to fund local schools. If there are those that believe this bunch has the interest of your children at heart, you need to get your head out of the glue bottle!!

The worst offenders are the Republicans and those disaffected Republicans jumping on the Libertarian bandwagon.
Johnson and Weld are the kind of Capitalists that should be put in jail.

Great news. Just what was needed to stop the siphoning of money from the public schools. I am going to do what I can to do the same in my city. Sounds viable. Charters are just the first step to privatization so this is a way to block that direction at least. Kudos to those parents.

Mississippi Charter schools; Old Testament bible study.

Unfortunately those people don't visit CD. Got to go to Drudge and find a mink to a relevant story and post this comment there.

You missed the specific case that this article is about. The Mississippi constitution pretty clearly prohibits this kind of diversion of funding from the oversight of the Jackson school board.

Anyway, where does US history come in the "three Rs"?

That's not the proper purpose of education; that's indoctrination. What I find most lacking in US education is support for creative and critical thinking. And proper use of apostrophes. But all of that is off this topic.

On the topic (sort of), it doesn't matter how clear the MS constitution is. You don't just defy it. If you'll click through to the SPLC article when it filed the suit, I believe it quotes the constitutional wording directly and you can see for yourself that it was simply ignored in setting up these charter schools and their separate oversight board.

We're veering off topic here, but I did not say that all teaching of US history would be indoctrination. I said teaching it without critical thinking is indoctrination, to instill a particular mindset. Many of our children properly have no good reason to be so proud of the founders. "Successful" and "free" are subject to interpretation.

As to the apostrophes, you can trust me. My Managing Editor used to call me his "nitpicker in chief."

It's not only about property tax. The constitutional provision is also about supervision, and a separate board has been set up to supervise the charter schools.

Public schools all teach the curriculum you describe, the three R's, plus computer science plus whatever else they can afford. Students who come from homes that value education and learning learn fine in public schools, while others who don't value it, or value it less, do not. Every American high school teaches American history. If students don't know it coming out of high school, it is their fault, not the school's.
Many students think they can make a quick buck via sports or media, so why study? Wildly unrealistic but they don't know this till later, and the get-rich-quick-through -any-means-mentality in this country encourages this kind of "thinking."
The fact that you emphasize testing as a way of evaluating schools shows you know little about education, even if you are a substitute teacher. Emphasis on testing leads to rote memorization, certainly not critical thinking. You are probably unaware that nationally, charter schools perform about the same as public, or worse.