Home | About | Donate

Mississippi’s Women Are Some of the Poorest in the Country. But We’re Getting Organized

Mississippi’s Women Are Some of the Poorest in the Country. But We’re Getting Organized.

Kenisha Potter-Stevenson

When I think of it, I get chill bumps.

I never thought I’d see the day when so many women — of all backgrounds, but mostly women of color — would come together to make Mississippi a better place for ourselves, a better place for our children and a better place for our future.

C'mon CD, Mississippi's two-letter designation is MS, not MI. Let's get on the ball, here.

Good luck Kenisha. It will be a long, hard struggle to get the corporate State to recognize black women as citizens worthy of rights. Personally I feel all corporations should pay restitution to all African Americans for the institutionalized racism that corporate America has waged against African Americans since the beginning of colonization.
Much higher wages, universal healthcare, free education (including college) and free daycare would be a good start, but it will be an uphill battle all the way.

Best essay i've read here in a few days. More power to the grassroots, more power to the women.

Kudos for the level-headed call to attention. The first thought that came to mind was an image of the ongoing soldering of what has been and continues to be an intensifying 'pipeline' model of societal suppression by an economic theory that knows only profit by extraction (in all dimensions). It is hammered and forced into place through a 'neo-class' of lobbyist/hawkers paid to control narrative and exclude any and all healthy societal regeneration: "The labels that were attached to me — baby mama, poor decision maker, uneducated, unworthy — I let those labels hold me down". This is the 'branding' inherent in the suffocating intent of making all members of all societies 'consumers'.

By their fruits you will know them. Grapes aren't gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles, are they?