Home | About | Donate

Mistrust Compels Anti-Authoritarian Epidemiology in the Time of COVID-19

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/07/13/mistrust-compels-anti-authoritarian-epidemiology-time-covid-19

Departments of great national interest should not be led by political appointees. They should be led by people of merit with expertise and experience in the appropriate field. They should be great communicators, logisticians, and inspirers. National policies whipsawing from one administration to another has wreaked great havoc on this nation. Much talent has fled or just ossified in place in the ranks of governmental agencies out of sheer frustration. We simply must kill the anti-intellectual virus that has infected the citizenry so that the rich can keep reaching into the former’s pocket and take its last dollar day after day. Until class war is declared, the one third will be persuaded to kill the next third whilst the remaining third watches.

3 Likes

IMHO---------yours is the post of the day. You are indeed the Wise Owl!

1 Like

Birds of a feather got to stick together…

1 Like

Like all changes, there is good and bad. The data can be more accurate if done right, and the recommendations from the internet can be godawful and cause a lot of death. On one hand we have the MAGAts denying the very existence of the problem and on the other hand we have people looking behind the curtain to point out that disease and death rates are being severely undercounted. Look at the comparison of pneumonia cases and deaths compared to other years. These data are thanks to people who are skeptical of official data.

Absolutely true, but who will bell the cat? The cult of ignorance and the glorification of being uninformed didn’t start with St. Ronald of Alzheimer’s. It long predated his existence.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge”.” — Issac Asimov

1 Like

The most complete work on this matter, in my opinion, is Richard Hofstadter’s (1962) Anti-Intellectualism In American Life.

Having done my graduate work in Longhorn Land, I’ll tip my hat to you and now find myself hankering to get to Brenham for a scoop or two.