Home | About | Donate

Monitoring Kids' Social Media Accounts Won't Prevent the Next School Shooting

Monitoring Kids' Social Media Accounts Won't Prevent the Next School Shooting

Rachel Levinson-Waldman, Faiza Patel

The Parkland, Fla., school shooting has reignited the national conversation on what can be done to prevent such tragedies, which seem to occur with frightening regularity. One option, which already is used by many schools and probably will be adopted by more, is to employ companies that monitor students’ social media feeds to flag threats of violence, as well as behavior such as bullying and self-harm.

I thought this had already happened in Parkland at least. He was flagged, reported to FBI. Along with the multiple police calls to his home, it seems to me that the followup step was missing. I despise the excessive surveillance in our world, but in this case perhaps the fellow should have been watched.

Regarding bullying, it can be subtle. School programs do exist to create a non-bullying atmosphere. My children, among the many schools they attended, had one principal who made that his major objective in leading the school.

Recently I spent time with people whose main source of information is Fox and rude-limbaugh. In conversation they insisted that the school district had a rule whereas it was not acceptable to act on complaints of aberrant behavior which might need to be investigated ??? Anyone come across this ? Sounds like a lie to me but I have not investigated the claim.

Of course I was able to divert and make a point against this by using other well know facts.