Home | About | Donate

Monsanto Favorite Glyphosate Soon to Join California's Cancer List

Monsanto Favorite Glyphosate Soon to Join California's Cancer List

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

In an unprecedented move, the California Environmental Protection Agency (Cal/EPA) will soon start labeling the common herbicide ingredient glyphosate a "probable carcinogenic," stepping up efforts to protect health and wildlife in the agriculture-heavy state even as use of weedkillers that include such toxins hits an all-time high.

This is wonderful news--a first step towards banning it altogether.

To quote a 2005 article from Mother Earth News,

"The Journal of Pesticide Reform published one of the most comprehensive reviews of
the dangers associated with glyphosate, written by Caroline Cox, staff
scientist for the Northwest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides. Here’s a
summary of her review:

Symptoms of exposure to glyphosate include eye irritation, blurred vision, skin rashes,
burning or itchy skin, nausea, sore throat and difficulty breathing, headache,
lethargy, nose bleeds and dizziness.

In lab tests, glyphosate and herbicides containing glyphosate caused genetic
damage to human and animal cells.

Studies of farmers and other people exposed to glyphosate herbicides link this exposure
to increased risks of cancer, miscarriages and attention deficit disorder.
Additional laboratory tests have confirmed the results of these studies.

Laboratory evidence indicates that glyphosate herbicides can reduce production of sex
hormones.

Application of glyphosate herbicides increases the severity of a variety of plant diseases."

I have seen one Monarch butterfly this year. It may be the last one I ever see. God damn you to hell Monsanto.

Ah, the ubiquitous prop 65 warning that's plastered all over the walls of every building and on anything produced in Californa cuz it's easier for the manufacturers to just slap it onto everything than just the products meant for the "Golden State". While Glyphosate might or might not need a warning like that the whole Prop 65 was to appease a very vocal minority and fill the pockets of litigation lawyers.

Here's some trivia: Pepsi and Coke had to change the colorant in their drinks to avoid that warning. It would have taken 1000 cans cans per day to match the quantity that caused cancer in mice.

Monsanto should be forced out of business and its products should be destroyed. There should be an **Environmental Criminal Court **so that companies like that can be prosecuted.

The GM issue is generally framed as concern for safe food, which is of course a valid concern. However, perhaps the greater issue is the use of Round Up and other dangerous chemicals designed for use with those GM crops.

Meanwhile Monsanto's minions are close to ramming the DARK Act (Deny Americans the Right to Know) through the Senate. (It has already passed in the HR.) The act is designed to prevent the labeling of GMOs.

Quite the nasty outfit, that Monsanto. Their glyphosate-tolerant GMOs have caused a massive increase in glyphosate usage over the years, with greater increases projected for the near future...

A cute video at the Guardian makes this excellent point: Why Are We Being Fed by a Poison Expert?

The notice from the California EPA also links to the Lancet article, Carcinogenicity of tetrachlorvinphos, parathion, malathion, diazinon, and glyphosate that prompted it. The most relevant quote from that article is its final sentence: 'The Working Group classified glyphosate as "probably carcinogenic to humans" (Group 2A).'

Lobbyist Claims Monsanto's Roundup Is Safe To Drink, Freaks Out When Offered A Glass:-

I imagine it isn't. It costs a lot more. The implication of your assertion is that it is OK to make people who do not want to eat GMOs pay extra for the privilege of not buying something they don't want to buy. That's truly screwed up.

What's next? Should people who don't want to smoke have to pay for the right not to buy cigarettes?

I would posit instead that the big "mistake" was the political corruption by which Monsanto's lawyer went through the "revolving door" to a post at FDA. There he performed the lawyerly sophistry (substantial equivalence) that "genetically-engineered the FDA" into approving GMOs for the marketplace without safety testing.(You do know, don't you, that most Americans still labor under the impression that the FDA is actually there to "protect" them?)

It's amazing how many times I have been accused of being "anti-science" and a Luddite (Long live Nedd!) for being anti-corruption. The conflation is as annoying as it is inaccurate.

Really? Any other aspects of imperialism you care to extol? At the very least, your statement ignores the fact that there is a rich body of evidence that, worldwide, hunger is a function of distribution, and not of production. At the worst, it gives a pass to the notion that it's OK that capitalist corporations seize ownership of the food supply.

“As usual, in every scheme that worsens the position of the poor, it is the poor who are invoked as beneficiaries.”
― Vandana Shiva

Concurrent with the EPA approving agent orange resistant GMOs, we the people are funding the multi-billion dollar payout to Viet Nam era veterans harmed by agent orange.

Based on this statement I'm going to assume you no nothing about farming.

Kind of like I know nothing about spelling.

the whole Prop 65 was to appease a very vocal minority and fill the pockets of litigation lawyers......It would have taken 1000 cans cans per day to match the quantity that caused cancer in mice.

Really,

Well here is another bit of trivia.
Capone was put where he belonged when convicted of tax evasion...

The point is we need to take Monsanto out of the agent orange derivative business and most of it's other business activities. And if it takes a litigation lawyer's pockets to be full...more power to them.

Sad to say Calif voted down a prop to have labeling of GMO's. I was going to buy some dinner plates once -on clearance and very beautiful colors- but on the back I noticed the prop 65 warning-I think the paint had lead in it-yea I skipped that purchase. This is so fundamental-corporate media-people have a right to know to make informed decisions.

Sounds like it's overdue for MONSATAN to go to JAIL!

So true! This idea has been around for a long time. Writers from Aristotle to Adam Smith to Thomas Jefferson (for starters) have been pointing out the critical importance of the informed citizenry.

I see where you're coming from, but prop 65 ain't gonna do any of that (besides the filling litigation attorney pockets). Prop 65 says "(insert name here) is known to the state of CA to cause cancer and birth defects". You are free to sell, produce and use it in CA. Nobody even reads those warnings anymore. You get some hicks from out if state sometimes that question you abt it and you just tell them it's CYA warning and they start ignoring it as well.

Many of us would argue that Roundup-resistant GM crops were developed for one reason and one reason only: to provide a continual market for Roundup, which Monsanto also conveniently sells. It's Capitalism 101.

Golden Rice is a PR scam designed to smear GM critics. Full details here (can't post links but Google it):

Golden Rice: Bringing a Superfood Down to Earth
fieldquestions DOT COM