Home | About | Donate

More Than 100,000 Visas Revoked in Wake of Trump Travel Ban

More Than 100,000 Visas Revoked in Wake of Trump Travel Ban

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Belying the government's claim that only 109 legal immigrants were "inconvenienced" by President Donald Trump's executive order on immigration, news outlets reported Friday that more than 100,000 visas have been revoked in the wake of the recent travel ban.

According to the Washington Post, which reported the figure citing a government attorney at a federal court hearing in Virginia:

Former Norway PM held at Washington airport over 2014 visit to Iran

A former prime minister of Norway has spoken of his shock after he was held and questioned at Washington Dulles airport because of a visit to Iran three years ago.

Kjell Magne Bondevik, who served as prime minister of Norway from 1997-2000 and 2001-05, flew into the US from Europe on Tuesday afternoon to attend this week’s National Prayer Breakfast.

He was held for an hour after customs agents saw in his diplomatic passport that he had been to Iran in 2014. Bondevik said his passport also clearly indicated that he was the former PM of Norway.

“Of course I fully understand the fear of letting terrorists come into this country,” he told ABC7. “It should be enough when they found that I have a diplomatic passport, [that I’m a] former prime minister.

“That should be enough for them to understand that I don’t represent any problem or threat to this country and [to] let me go immediately, but they didn’t.”

Bondevik, who is the president the Oslo Centre, a human rights organisation, said he was placed in a room with travellers from the Middle East and Africa who were also facing extra scrutiny.

He said he was ordered to wait for 40 minutes, before being questioned for another 20 minutes about his trip to Iran, which he had taken to speak at a human rights conference.

“I was surprised, and I was provoked,” he said. “What will the reputation of the US be if this happens not only to me, but also to other international leaders?”

Was one of those 100,000 Melania's...that is if she has one? No more holidays for her with her family in Slovenia (a former Easter Bloc nation). Who knows, all of Europe may be added to the Trumpian list of nations harboring terrorists.... The creator of chaos has created worldwide upheaval and it has only been two weeks.

The madman paints with a broad brush full of acid burning all flesh in its path

His intent is bad enough.
The sloppy execution makes it even worse.

Excellent point! The T & B thought process mirrors that of GWB-Cheney-Rumsfeld rush to invade Iraq...with no backup plans in place beforehand. The GOP majority Congress has jumped on the bus to hell driven by a madman. All are power-mad, devoid of conscience, and besotted with greed.

Since facts no longer matter, I am now officially Muslim.

Where do I register for the encampments?

Click to enlarge.

When the Germans call you out as a fascist, then you KNOW you're in trouble.

One of the most remarkable segments of Michael Moore's "Where To Invade Next" is a visit to a German classroom where the horrors of the Nazi era are presented. According to the movie this is a standard part of German curriculum. The takeaway - never let this happen again.

Moore goes on to ask what if American schools required our students to take an honest look at America's dark past instead of adopting the flippant "Oh, that's history!" attitude, implying since it's in the past it has no relevance to how we go forward from here.

We're still fighting and refighting the American Civil War!!

Requiring Howard Zinn's "A Peoples' History of the United States" would be a good first step.

Zinn's book is part of my permanent library and has moved with me over the years. In fact, I have it by my bedside ready to begin reading anew.

Another American mythology that remains to this day is how the Americans saved the Native Americans from their "savage" ways, which is perpetuated in the highly revisionist history textbooks in Texas schools. Another book that occupies a special place in my heart is Francis Jennings' " The Invasion of America: Indians, Colonialism, and the Cant of Conquest" that lays bare the atrocities committed by the military, missionaries, colonists, mercenaries, etc. against Native populations in the Americas (North, Central, South). It took the author more than 10 years to get it published because it dispels so many American myths taught in schools for centuries.

And what Moore said about "Oh, that's history." I witnessed during my Native American studies class (two university semesters), a young white male fraternity president taking the class because it was a GUR, stood up and said, "Why should he be made to pay for the sins of the past?"

And so it goes.

This what we should expect of a country full of insane people voting for a madman and allowing him to make insane moves. This is what we will have to deal with until he is kicked out of that position and never heard from again!

"We're still fighting and refighting the American Civil War!!" What most don't understand is that the same families that profited from coming here taking land enslaving people and causing the lower class to die for them are still at it! The American people were betrayed then and it just hasn't stopped! Howard Zinn's book should be required reading but again those who betray us have long become masters at brainwashing and creating ignorance and confusion.