Home | About | Donate

More Than 300 Injured as Spanish Police Try to Prevent Catalan Independence Vote

More Than 300 Injured as Spanish Police Try to Prevent Catalan Independence Vote

Spanish national police officers clashed with supporters of Catalan independence

The Spanish government's "unjustified use of violence," says regional leader Carles Puigdemont, "will not stop the will of the Catalan people."

The Police must POLICE their own Ranks

It is Time for the Honest to Refuse Duty and Clean Ranks

There is NO HONOR in attacking Los Viejos

You have Become Franco

Don’t the federal government officials realize that the harder they try to prevent the vote, the more they are going to make the Catalan voters vote for independence just as a protest to their oppression?

Authoritarians are always trapped by their one-size-fits-all response to any and all events.

Spain was an empire once, or a wannabe - like Portugal - like France - like many, many others …

Not long ago there was Franco and facism - sound familiar ?

The more I see civilization - the more I think we are on the wrong track.

Most of us loathe and detest hierarchy and all its manifestations - yet we put up with it - mistake I think.

“No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.”

• John Donne, Meditation XVII

If Madrid did nothing, and the referendum went 100% “separation”, Madrid could legally say per international law, "Um, that’s interesting, but no."
What laws do inside a country’s borders is considered “municipal” and thus none of the United Nation’s purvue and where international law doesn’t apply.

On the other hand, every time that the Spanish police beat up Catalans trying to control their own affairs, they are giving the Catalan nation a stronger legal case for unilateral separation, again, because of international law.

Jeepers, doesn’t anyone in Madrid know how to read?

That and: How a Dubious CIA Document Is Fueling Tensions in Catalonia. No surprise that the CIA is screwing around with peoples’ destiny eh. Too bad it’s not the Russians, then maybe this would be news all around the world.

Trying to get a feeling for events on the ground
I found a montage of photos on WaPo

The Catalans have come out by the tens of thousands, from the Young to their Parents to their Grandparents

By comparison about 200 little mierdas showed up in the Plaza Mayor in Madrid to protest the vote. The Plaza holds significantly more than 200.

Now for our Bezos moment lest we forget who is imbedded in US Journalism

Every 5th picture in the montage breaks for a ad.

The WaPo ad is a recruiting ad for CIA interpreters
Touting “teach language skills that count when everything is on the line. Become a CIA language instructor.”

As I said before “esos mierdas”

dont’ be so hasty. they’re running the russia flag back up the pole on this one, too.

http://www.politico.eu/article/russia-catalonia-referendum-fake-news-misinformation/

A preview of what will happen here, if and when California tries to separate?

See: https://www.yescalifornia.org/. That site presents a pretty well thought out and reasoned pass toward California independence, though it does not mention an anticipated date of 2019 for the independence referendum, which was propagated by
https://www.yescalifornia.com/ previously, a site, which when opened will only give you a “Coming Soon” message.
Given the general American mindset, it will be even bloodier here.

Our best solution would be to use the 2018 and the 2020 elections to install a progressive Congress ans White House. That would make any secession by California (as well as Washington, Oregon, New York and Vermont etc.) unnecessary.

Is the Madrid government stupid, or secretly interested in stoking the Catalan desire for independence? If the latter is the case, they could not do a better job of planned alienation.

The film Catastroika still provides a very nearly comprehensive historical time line of the privatization of the public in Greece and variants throughout the world of the kleptocracts ongoing twisted manufacture of consent to the ideology of neo-liberalism - the vultures’ picnics.

Can you say DEBT?

Another Western kleptocratic thugocracy posing as “democracy” …
Reminiscent of the US response to Occupy …

Hello Golestan, What are the odds of that happening regarding the 2018 and 2020 elections? I feel that it is less than the chance of any aliens coming to the Earth by the time that the 2020 election is over which for those paying attention is the Electorial Kollege sic putting its rubber stamp marked final!!!

This should be our common rallying cry against those who would create a hell for us.

Don’t attend a protest in Spain without a means to armour yourself and fight back.

Yea - maybe.

I always liked that quote - it’s tribal, like me.

Such pessimistic assessment leads to inactivity and that is not, what we need.
There is a lot afoot, which you may have missed, like, per example, making the electoral college irrelevant:.
From: https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/robert-reich-we-cant-abolish-electoral-college-we-can-make-it-irrelevant
QUOTE: Article II of the Constitution says states can award their electors any way they want. So all that’s needed in order to make the Electoral College irrelevant is for states with a total of at least 270 electors to agree to award all their electoral votes to the presidential candidate who wins the popular vote.

If they do that, then automatically the winner of the popular vote gets the 270 electoral college votes he or she needs to become president.

Already 10 states and the District of Columbia have passed laws to do this – awarding all their electoral votes to the candidate who wins the popular vote, as soon as the 270 elector goal is met. Together, these states total 165 electoral votes. UNQUOTE
As well, these groups are well on the way of vetting and supporting a number of progressive candidates, who, given enough support by YOU (!) and me, could easily swing Congress in our favor as early as 2018/19.
See: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/s4p?source=bnc

Is Franco still alive?
From the Clash
The hillsides ring with "Free the people"
Or can I hear the echo from the days of ‘39?
With trenches full of poets
The ragged army, fixin’ bayonets to fight the other line
Spanish bombs rock the province
I’m hearing music from another time
Spanish bombs on the Costa Brava
I’m flying in on a DC 10 tonight

No, he would now be 125 years old. Before he died he installed Juan Carlos as King and reigning monarch, who was enlightened enough to transform the country immediately into a democratic monarchy similar to the UK, the Netherlands and Sweden.

It would be nice to see some information about why the Catlans want to separate. I know there might be some good reasons since I understand that The Catalonian values are more communal than the rest of Spain but it would still be nice to know exactly what their grievances are if any.