Home | About | Donate

More Than A Few Bad Eggs: Industrial Farms Exploiting 'Organic' Label for Profit

To re-work the old chemical industry propaganda from the 1970s:

"Without corporations, life itself would be impossible."

Pretty much what they want us to believe.

Is there really anyone who couldn't see that coming when the feds gutted the definition of "organic"? Really?

Please be specific: When did the feds "gut the definition of "organic," " and what did they take out? Please provide a citation or description for the gutting you are talking about.

The definition of "organic" has been under corporate assault since before the launch of the organic standards. Having looked pretty deeply into the process, i'd say we've fought off pretty much every major attack on the definition itself.

The problem, to my understanding, is more what Kastel is working to expose with this egg report, and in all his work as director of the Cornucopia Institute: Corporations that ignore the definition and break the standards, but falsely use the organic label; and "captured" federal regulators who do nothing about such abuse.

Cornucopia is the standard for getting the truth out about the underbelly of farming and food production.

I watch my flock of chickens enjoy their morning flights and interractions with each other and the world and wonder about the shut down that those who exploit and torture them must be experiencing. How else could they behave in the manner that they do.

You have to constantly be mining to find the truth in this lovely world of ours. Labels aren't enough.

I have used all the different types of eggs, Organic, Free Range, and I freaked out the first time I cracked an egg and the yolk was hard. Literally like jello. I have found this in all of the brands. Occasionally. It made me consider getting a chicken.

...or why not just go vegan?

I haven't really followed the issue completely because I don't generally have a choice in what to buy, only whether.

But this seems to summarise my perception of the situation: https://corporatewatch.org/content/corporate-organics-history-slipping-organic-standards-us

Mining for truth - now that's real gold!

Absolutely. The terms "organic", "cage-free", "grass-fed", "humanely raised", etc. mean little or nothing when it comes to raising animals for food.
People need to face the truth about what they eat.
Animal products represent cruelty no matter what the labels say.

I buy eggs from local farm sources while their hens are laying, which makes buying eggs come late fall into winter hit and miss. I discovered duck eggs brought to our Co-Op by a local farmer and fell in love with them but they, too are not available come late fall and winter. I have to trust that the eggs brought in by my Co-Op are truly organic laid by grass-fed, free-range hens during fall/winter.... I am fortunate to live in a rural area where organic farming practices prevail. Exploiting the "organic" label (or "no added (operative word) antibiotics, Omega-3 added, or grass fed/free range almost doubles the price of eggs, milk and meat giving the unscrupulous vendors burgeoning profits for sure! Caveat Emptor. (The FDA and Dept of Ag love corporate money.)

OK, so which ARE the "ethically produced brands"? How can you boycott the "bad eggs" if you don't know which the good ones are?