Home | About | Donate

More than Economics: TPP, Empire and Common Security Alternatives

More than Economics: TPP, Empire and Common Security Alternatives

Joseph Gerson

"In fact, you may not expect to hear this from a Secretary of Defense, but in terms of our rebalance in the broadest sense, passing TPP is as important to me as another aircraft carrier." —Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter

Thank you for the in-depth analysis, Dr. Gerson. Back in my college days, my roommate's father handed me books about China rising to become the 21st century's chief world power. That was back in the early l970s! I can't recall the author's name...

The "peril" never yellows

The irony of this vacuous argument is the TPP is a docking agreement, meaning that any other nation can join once it's in effect. That includes China. So much for excluding it. Humph.

Yes, but China will be allowed to join under the rules that the US has laid down! Of course those rules will not be to China's benefit!

What is not stressed in this article is the bankers, [banksters] input. Basically sabre rattling is just for show since both powers are nuclear and will do whatever it takes not to use them. Also as David Graeber has pointed out the US has become exceedingly sensitive to battlefield casualties and will do any work around to mitigate that risk [e.g. drones].
Well they have another powerful weapon; trade and commerce. In this they are aided and abetted by the World Bank, and the IMF etc. These use credit as weapons, impoverishing countries, including even Greece, but particularly those states well endowed with resources. It's a copy of colonialism without the need to actually invade. They strip assets by foreclosure.
Not just nations now, also the corporate world is busy doing the same. The TPP and TTIP and TISA are all instruments of corporate design, endorsed by the big boys like the USA.
It is eventually going to come unstuck, as resources are finite even if credit is not. So any victory here will be Phyrric and possibly short lived,
But it can do a lot of damage in the interim. Delaying these treaties gives nations some breathing space to consider what to do and rushing to approve them is justa ploy to limite debate and second thoughts.