Home | About | Donate

More Than One-Third of College Students Struggle with Inadequate Food and Housing Insecurity, Study Finds

More Than One-Third of College Students Struggle with Inadequate Food and Housing Insecurity, Study Finds

Julia Conley, staff writer

While higher education has historically been promoted as a "great equalizer," new research offers the latest evidence that poverty and economic inequality continue to inhibit the realization of that promise.

Jeff Fucking Bezos could put ALL these mentioned poverty students through college!
But, I guess he needs another yacht or island to park it at. Anyone not ROYALLY PISSED about the lack of financial balance/parity is either completely asleep, apathetic to the Nth degree, or ONE OF THE GREED BASTARD SCUM!!!

From the article:

"…higher education has historically been promoted as a “great equalizer…”

To which I would add, “…an abundant and growing body of evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.”

My modest proposal would be for young people to boycott higher education until such time as student-loan debt can once again be discharged through bankruptcy—a remedy that no less a figure than our president has found useful on more than one occasion.

Kids, job prospects are much better for auto mechanics than for academics.

This is all part of the plan. To keep everyone indebted for their entire lives. Welcome to the New and Improved Company Town and its corresponding Company Store brought to us on behalf of the corporate oligarchs.

How dare the working class think they belong in college ? You’d think we would know our place in the world.
I applaud them, but at this point, for most of them it’s not worth the debt. If there were good paying jobs waiting on them, I’d feel differently.

Also, he needs to build his fifty million dollar 10,000 year-without-winding clock inside a mountain…

I’m sure various small businesses and corporations are licking their chops thinking about how they can partner with the Trump Administration’s push for work requirements for SNAP recipients, and for most is likely to be MORE work, because most already work at jobs they’ve struggled to find.

SNAP recipients should expect even lower paying jobs, and Ryan and other rich dickheads just enjoy this abuse.

The more corporations rule every aspect of society, demand corporate taxation from the cornered masses, the more hellish life will become, unless of course, you somehow manage to be in that rarefied upper class.

So-called autonomous vehicles is a perfect example of how, already, the propaganda preparing the masses for a huge corporate takeover of transportation presents this transformation as an inevitability, and that the push behind it is all about public safety.

Hogwash. It is about massive profits, transportation surveillance, and turning the screws on the masses even more.

Don’t believe for a second, that on average transportation costs will go down with this “revolution”. No, they will go up, and up, and up.

And is this emergent technology green? Not even close, electric or otherwise.

Autonomous? Nothing about it is such.

The new version of debt/interest slavery on the way to a lifetime of wage slavery and then a miserable poor dotage - you know, our “Golden years”…yeah! privatize everything especially education and health care two very profitable cash cows! Make America great(er) again! Here’s to Champagne to real friends and real pain to donald trump and all who sail in him!

Thanks for raising the issue of small businesses (95% of which fail in five years, nearly 100% of which pay substandard wages and have few, if any, benefits). In the U.S., the ‘petite bourgeois’ are put on a political-economic altar to distract people from the more humane (and economically sustainable relationships) of co-ops, ESOPS, publicly-owned businesses, etc. See, we’re all gonna become entrepreneurial millionaires, right?

I am an adjunct faculty member of a major (Catholic) Twin Cities MN university. I have worked full and part-time as an English, Writing and Communications instructor for about 20 years FTE (full-time equivalent around the U.S. ).

Here is a profile of my students (aged about 25-55) who are attempting to complete their Bachelors degrees in the affluent, ‘progressive’ state of Minnesota.

1. They pay about $500/credit or $1,500/class (which means 3 students pay my salary; you do the math on that one). Then there are fees, etc. and online courses are much more expensive.

2. Nearly all work, many at multiple jobs.

3. A majority have children/elders/sick to take care of.

4. They have lives besides work and school, but it’s hard to find them.

5. They are going for Bachelors’ degrees, usually not because formal education interests them, but because employers or the ‘job market’ told them to.

I’ve never thought about them in terms of hunger or homelessness. This is a commuter school so ti’s hard to read that, but many are active addicts, in recovery, or in various stages of PTSD (veterans and immigrants of the U.S. wars against the World).

So there ya go.

Get that degree and it’s all good.

If we set the snide shots at students aside, this seems moderately representative of arguments against forgiving debt. Here are a few reasons that they do not work.

Taxpayers do not make student loans, ever. The money loaned is called into existence by fiat. Taxpayers may wind up being charged for loans that fail, repaying the banks to repay the Fed for money declared into existence, or they may not. Either way, that is a separate action that need not be causally linked.

There is not necessarily a link between college education and monetary gain, nor need there or should there be. It is true that good work exists in the trades and that a lot of people do best there; however, it is also true that not everyone performs this work well. Plumbing, welding, ship fitting, and aviation also require both skill and talent and the proper character as well as willingness to put in time. Union apprenticeship is wonderful, but it’s not work for dummies or work for everyone.

The value to what was once called a “liberal education” is different. Once upon a time, this was provided to a small class of people who were engaged at running the society and parts thereof in different ways. In the US were upperclass white males, mostly of what was called “good birth,” birth to propertied parents. The education involved philosophy, literature, economics, and history because it was thought that these individuals would make decisions involving people and requiring a judgment derived from perspective.

That includes voting, by the way.

At the end of WWII, with the GI-Bill, many soldiers were provided a relatively inexpensive education despite owning nothing and being of a traditionally impoverished class. This was done because the war had left the US as a focal point for industrial, managerial, and diplomatic work as the principal center of empire. Competition for labor jobs decreased and clients for services and goods increased, and so strong unions allowed for the rise of reasonably paid jobs for skilled workmen–plumbers and welders and so forth.

By 1976, rulers identified what they regarded as an “excess of democracy” in that the offspring of working class people who had been educated were questioning the designs of whose who would rule them. A key document, for those interested, is Samuel P. Huntington et alia, 1976 report to the Trilateral Commission. Huntington suggested that the costs of education be inflated and covered by loans to students. Graduating students would thereby be forced to sell services to the highest (generally corporate) bidders rather than distribute services as needed or according to the judgments armed by their training.

This was done. This is why our older generations (Boomers and before) do not usually suffer from excessive debt from education, whereas their children do.

We may wish to pretend that the primary beneficiary of an education is the student, but that is false. I benefit from the education of the plumber who fixes my drains, the nurse and surgeon who attend me at the hospital, the tech support personnel that help me log in to my job when protocols have changed–and so on far beyond any list that I might present here. I benefit because others have benefitted from such services.

Now, I have to suspect that there is some point to the snide comments about “kids,” though I have to read in a bit. Not all students are “kids,” wise or otherwise. The “gun control demands” appear to refer to those of high school students, who at present still do not have to take out loans to study. What any of this has to do with gun control remains a bit mysterious, but it appears that the reference may be to what we are to regard as “unwise” or unintelligent or, more relevantly, uneducated.

People quite often do graduate with little idea about body politic and participation in an intellectual community, so that point is well taken if it is actually a point that’s being made. But that is not because the people who wind up being plumbers or welders are intrinsically less capable of governing themselves and only good for completing localized tasks. They can do fine, given the chance, and so can their children. But the educational system has largely been given over to creating sorts of obedience, largely by the idea that it is simply training in whatever delimited skill one can sell for money. It is not, need not be, should not be.

The valorization of wealth has a lot to do with this situation, and is also at the root of the malaise that is Donald and his like-minded friends.
It is not by accident that every year, without fail, we are treated to the Forbes magazine list of the wealthiest people.

False. A graduate makes something like a million dollars more than a non graduate over a lifetime on average.

The ruling class has advertised to the rest of us the odd notion that education is a service to students and somehow therefore not to others, despite the fact that we all expect trained and educated responses from those who provide us with goods and services, despite the fact that educated societies do so much better than others.

It is a service in which students and teachers and many others cooperate towards the very extensive benefit of the society as a general whole.

Treat your students well. Almost all of the serious failure that I have come across in twenty years of teaching and thirty more around campuses came from the failure of support systems under pressure unrelated to academic tasks. Students’ parents have troubles, students’ children need care, landlords and jobs demand and demand, and the system is designed to harness graduates to a debt sufficiently great as to disable genuine production.

Yet they continue–many from the airy promise of money and status, to be sure, but others from an understanding of what they might do with knowledge, including what they might do for the others around them.

It is a quiet and bland-looking but very real sort of heroism, though that is an aspect of their actions of which they themselves are usually altogether unaware. It has been a privilege to see it and to know it in somewhat the same way that one may see and know mountains and rivers and lakes. The hopes that I have that we may pull ourselves out of the hole that we have created for ourselves come from their persistence and insight.

Not always. The link is therefore not necessary.

“on average”

Education should be free. In the old days 60s and 70s city universities were virtually free. You never know were the next genius is if you charge all this $$$. We have money for endless wars which is more important.

Obviously proofos and typos, the likes of which I ride my students for, but CD’s editing tool is time-limited. So it goes…

Tom, I taught at several large state community colleges through a 14-year period. These are familiar characterizations.

I can speak for the homelessness and some measure of hunger as well; I gave more than a few students advice about each, since I’d had my own experiences. I would add sleeplessness to this: it comes out of the solutions that they find to other problems.

It was fascinating and a bit eerie to be laid off for lack of funds just after the school had turned away over a thousand nursing students in a single semester–and all during a nurses’ strike. You’d think someone would have consulted the Math department.

I don’t mind the grad school courses I teach now; they’re a good deal less work. But I do miss the students who are just returning to education for solutions.

Even private universities and colleges were affordable. I was working class (still am) and got some grants, but I mostly worked my way through Northwestern University in a little over three years. I graduate with $600 (that’s hundred) in loans.That’s about $3,800 today. Nothing like my daughter’s $16,000 from Florida community colleges or the hundreds of thousands at four-year institutions. Does anybody at all get how fucked capitalism is???