Home | About | Donate

'Most Cataclysmic' Jobs Report of Our Lifetime Shows US Unemployment Soaring to Level Not Seen Since Great Depression

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/08/most-cataclysmic-jobs-report-our-lifetime-shows-us-unemployment-soaring-level-not

3 Likes

Is this playing on fix news?

3 Likes

The DOW is claiming based on this “great news”.

Here something else they will trumpet. The average weekly paycheque of the worker in the USA jumped by around 4 percent .

This because all the lower paying jobs are wiped out increasing the "average’ salary of those left wroking.

2 Likes

Ignore the man behind the curtain! Stay home! Wash your hands! Stay tuned for the next announcement from Big Brother! Be afraid! Be very afraid! Ask no questions, just obey.

Not to make light of those who have died or are sick with the virus, but is there no common sense leadership out there that could, for instance, expedite testing and monitoring so that small businesses and workers across the country don’t simply fall through the cracks?

Unemployment insurance? Emergency pandemic UI? Lots of luck. Not a single person I know who was self-employed or an independent contractor has received one penny. It seems to me, their suffering and concerns might be just as important to them as the suffering and concerns of those facing illness or loss of loved ones from CV 19.

Yet mostly what I hear are scathing rebukes to anyone who wants to get back to work. They are simply “selfish” and are immediately compared to the flag-waving, gun-toting right wing protesters. Man, the narrative couldn’t be managed any better. Black and white, divide and conquer, and let the increasing angst of the unemployed create even more social tensions with those who just “stay home and obey” while questioning nothing whatsoever about the news they get nor doing one ounce of their own research of the players (Fauci, Gates, the pharmaceutical industry, Silicon Valley, Wall Street, Bezos ad nauseum) and how they’re making out in the face of the plan.

3 Likes

And the stock market goes up every time these unemployment numbers go up. The corporate oligarchs are salivating at the thought of workers having to fight each other for fewer jobs with less wages going forward in order to boost their personal profits. The stock market is only designed for vampires to suck the life blood out of the working class now. It is just another criminal enterprise.

8 Likes

This virus is going to vastly further enslave millions to debt, those that are “lucky enough” to have access to credit.

3 Likes

Proving again that the Dow has nothing to do with the economy most of us live in.

4 Likes

And 50%+ of Americans out of work including those left over from the Bush/Obama Depression. Expect soon to hear for revoking the minimum wage due to ‘excess’ labor. No need to relocate the American owned factories from China to Vietnam for cheap labor … just bring them home.

And 53%+ of small businesses are expected to fail in the next six months. Lots less competition for the Mega Corps that got the four trillion bailout.

5 Likes

Just for reference
Here’s the BLS Table A-15 that lays out the current U1 - U6 numbers

~https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t15.htm

2 Likes

No worries, the Democrats (the part of the people) say they’ll address this is Stimulus Bill Number 9 :slight_smile:

5 Likes

any economist that’s actually trying to get real data–I guess there’s like 10 of them–knows that participation rate figures are totally in the toilet and have been for years.

23 percent would be generous right now.

2 Likes

The primary point here, not said of course, is that this system is failing us in a dismal manner -meaning this corrupted two party system has led us to the point of disaster beyond belief while the authoritarian elites get ever more wealthy. Why is that corporations are given almost unrestricted access to our tax dollars while millions lose their jobs and go bankrupt? How much longer can this be tolerated?

5 Likes

The problem is systemic. The system is Capitalism. The only future Capitalism holds is inequality, war, economic hardship for the working class, and the destruction of what’s left of democracy and the environment.

7 Likes

Here’s the part in the pandemic where deaths of despair roar past deaths from Covid19.

To @wildraven above: I’m an independent contractor and I got my $1200 last week.

1 Like

Our boy trump will have to claim that he is the only thing that can save us. Trump the only one to save us from what trump wrought.
Sounds a bit like the insanity quote. “Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over expecting a change.”

1 Like

It’s not just the many years of treachery served up by the Republican Party, now morphed into the Trump Death Cult. It’s the sellout after sellout served up by the so called Democratic Party over the same time, literally acting in concert with the political right to enrich the already wealthy and big business on the backs of the masses.

One need only observe the conduct of Pelosi, Schumer and the rest of the Dem establishment during this killer pandemic and this rapidly growing economic depression to know just who they represent and who they do not. We must sign on to the Movement for a People’s Party, for it’s the only way we’ll ever avoid enslavement to the corporate state enabled and supported by our corrupt politicians. The Dems are no longer an option.

2 Likes

All of the common sense leadership has been fired.

Everyone should have right to endanger their health and well being if they choose.
Just so they know we also have the right to have our personal space for distancing and not getting the virus.
Trump’s version of warriors, taking their chances with reintegrating with the masses, is a trump version of Russian Roulette.

1 Like

If we were to factor in the homeless population which is unemployed and those who gave up looking for non existent jobs that actually help you to survive that 23.6% would be higher still. Meanwhile they are breaking out the proverbial champagne on Wall Street. How long folks??

4 Likes

This is surpassing late Roman empire levels of simultaneous poverty, slavery and plutocrat debauchery.

4 Likes

Perhaps your People’s Party could pull a few from the Death Cult, AKA white supremacists, but mostly you’ll just get a few Common Dreams folks. My old governor, Jesse Ventura, might take the job. He’s almost as ignorant as Trump. I think our only hope is a Democratic landslide in 5 years. Even with a small Democratic majority, very little will change. There are always DINOs and moderates who are afraid of too much change. We have entered a very dark time that will last seemingly forever. Knowing the high degree of stupidity and evil in Americans leaves a bleak vista on the future of the entire world.

2 Likes