Home | About | Donate

'Most Fact-Challenged Politician Ever' Trump Asks Why Civil War Happened

'Most Fact-Challenged Politician Ever' Trump Asks Why Civil War Happened

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

President Donald Trump is officially the most "fact-challenged" politician that the Washington Post's Fact Checker has ever encountered, columnists Glenn Kessler and Michelle Ye Hee Lee reported Monday, just hours before the president claimed in a radio interview that "people don't ask" why the Civil War happened.

Andrew Jackson died in 1845 but the demented dimwit has no knowledge of American (or World) History as his never-ending hyperbole proves. DJT's admiration for AJ would be overturned by this quote from AJ: It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their own selfish purposes... along with coming to realize that Jackson was the founder of the Democratic party. And, DJT practices a brand of slavery throughout all his business dealings through demanded servitude; paying low wages; and abusing the justice system to defraud his contractors.

Trump's Civil War comment wasn't as clueless as it appears. His base is rural, elderly and the south. One accusation that puts them all on the defensive is being called a racist. Understandable since there is no defense, no matter what spin devised by a deep-pockets think tank. Of course the greatest charge of racism is the south's refusing to relent on slavery. How to spin that one? Well, it wasn't about slavery afterall (who knew!) but rather a state's rights issue. Nevermind that we've been haggling over this point since 1776 and only once in our entire history did hundreds of thousands think it worthwhile to risk their lives in war and secede from the union.

So what was that line in the sand the south drew? What could it be? Taxes? Agriculture regulations? Foreign wars? Maybe someone on the board can solve the riddle. Me and Donald would really like to know. And while you're at it, could someone also explain why Ronald Reagan kicked off his presidential campaign in that thriving metropolis of Philadelphia, Mississippi?

He has little knowledge of geography. He thought he was in Pennsylvania.

I would laugh at his stupidity if it didn't make me cry for humanity

Spare me the "fact-challenged" euphemism. Call Trump the ignorant, over his head fool that he obviously is. The sooner everyone admits we have a president that is operating on an even shaky elementary school level of knowledge as to history, the environment, the constitution, diplomacy and more, the sooner we can get this unqualified man away from real weapons of mass destruction.

My understanding of history is that the civil war started because the south wished to purchase cheaper materials from Europe while the North wished to insist that they had to buy from the North in preference to from Europe. The issue of abolishing slavery was only championed by the North after the war began (though many individuals had been opposed to it earlier) because it was perceived that such an act would undermine southern economic power which was deemed desirable given that by then the North was at war with the South. Back then it was the South which was the economic powerhouse, which is why the North was so desperate to sell to the South. Subsequently the North won that war, and it is victors who get to write the history.. but the history is not quite as noble as the north has ever since portrayed it to be.

You are fact-challenged too. The Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. This is a myth that has been allowed too endure for too long. The Civil War was about secession, who runs all of America, but NEVER about slavery. A
The Emancipation Proclomation came a year into the war, and was a tactic to undermine the Southern economy. The Proclamation was a cynical ruse. No Union states were forced to free their slaves. In fact the proclamation applied only to the Confederate States. I am amazed how ignorant even those Americans are who claim to be educated. It is widespread. All the myths taught by schools survive. The truth is lost.

Good summary

Thank-you Irvingwod! Besides secession, the Civil War also was also about different perceptions of labour costs ... and a few other reasons ... none of which had anything to do with slavery.

Well, if I recall my history, Lincoln said his paramount concern was the Union, and that so long as he could preserve it, he was willing to consent to slavery In both North and South, or no slavery at all, or even half slave half free. So yes, slavery was not a factor but later became a useful weapon in persuading the slaves in the South to rebel, encourage blacks to fight for the North, and probably most important, to persuade any European nation who might want to support the South to think again (the moral factor).

Incidentally, it's ironic that Trump should mention Andrew Jackson who was against free trade until, at least, the US attained the industrial prowess of Britain. Now most Northern industrialists thought quite the same way - they wished to protect their industries. The agricultural South, of course, didn't have any problem with free trade, and I think that was a major factor for the Civil War.

From the Declaration of Causes of Seceding States:

"The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery.

Mississippi
A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union.

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth.

Yes, there were states and people, particularly in the South, for whom the existence and even promotion of slavery was sufficient reason for secession. But for many in the North, and especially Lincoln, preserving the Union was most important. Below is Lincoln's letter to Horace Greeley:

The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours, A. Lincoln.

A simple-minded attack on Trump. Sorry Barbara but there were other reasons for the Civil War. As far as the most ' fact checked president', are they serious. The Shrub was the dumbest ever to inhabit any political house, let alone the White House. That idiot was NEVER questioned while in office because he was busy carrying out the zionist agenda. Protected by the NYT and all media outlets , his boobery was never completely exposed. All Middle East deaths and chaos stem from his years as 'appointed boob-in-chief'.

The lack of education is much worse among the wealthy elite then most people realize.

"...than...."

If Slavery was not an issue, then why all the debate in Congress? Why have the Missouri Compromise? Why the Compromise of 1850? Why the Dred Scott decision in the Supreme Court? Congress in the first half of the 19th century was overwhelmed with questions about extending slavery (or not) to the emerging western states. This is undeniable.

At least we now know where the cuckoo's nest is from that Jack Nickelson movie. It's sitting on top of Trump's head! This man is seriously deranged and is in a very fragile mental state.

Lincoln never, ever, said he would consent to slavery in the North, or the West, or the territories. He opposed the war expansion of slavery sought by the South. He understood himself as constitutionally barred from interfering with slavery in states where it existed. The emancipation proclamation was a military measure. That is why he and the republicans, with some northern democrats, pushed for the 13th amendment.

At the time this letter was written Lincoln had already drafted the Emancipation Proclamation. He would announce it after Antietam.