Home | About | Donate

'Most Important Surveillance Story You Will See for Years': Report Reveals How AT&T Buildings Serve as 'Secret Hubs' for NSA Spying

'Most Important Surveillance Story You Will See for Years': Report Reveals How AT&T Buildings Serve as 'Secret Hubs' for NSA Spying

Jake Johnson, staff writer

"The most important surveillance story you will see for years just went online, revealing how AT&T became the internet's biggest enemy, secretly collaborating against its customers and partners to destroy your privacy."

"It's eye-opening and ominous the extent to which this is happening right here on American soil."
—Elizabeth Goitein, Brennan Center for Justice

3 Likes

“Collect it all.”
–Gen. Keith Alexander, as NSA Director

Amendment IV (from The Bill of Rights)
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

15 Likes

Normalized now. Earth-shattering 20 years ago, one big collective yawn nowadays. A testament to how far gone our “democracy” is, and how far down the road to authoritarianism we are. I just asked my 20 year old niece about this, and she literally shrugged her shoulders and said “well duh.”

12 Likes

Suppression…oppression…tyranny

What to do? There are many things you can do to limit your exposure. But to fight against it, not so much. Years ago Obama had a 2 day conference of this issue at the White House. I was invited to participate via email, which I did. After the 2 daze everything went quietly under the radar. There are things you can do but their lifetime is very short and your wallet very small.

Good Luck.

1 Like

I’d give you 10 hearts, if I could. I think that would be called an echo.

3 Likes

Agreed, thank you.

And crying there is nothing we can do does not help Anything.

Fighters,I guess, Fight. I Always will.
I’ll go with the Snowdens of life.
Opportunity always presents itself.

Those who don’t fight back …well…

4 Likes

I think I know but can anyone explain “keyword selection system”.

1 Like

It is a computer, built for speed, that will scan data for specific words or phrases, like

Bomb, guns, Nuclear, Osama, Embassy Attack, Iran Centrifuge,
(any other words that fit their “flag this file” criteria)

Different than searching for messages from Suspect 1 to Suspect 2
Point of Origin/Destination searches

So if one wanted to put sand into the gears of the Machine.
Everyone signing their email with the top 50 NSA flag words
might go a long way towards mucking up the searches.

Course we all have thick files of useless info and still they search us.
There is only 350 million of us, hardly even a cpu cycle to track what they already know about all of us.

It’s not about info or targets its about suppression.

They don’t pull out your file until they have to deal with you, and then Everyone has a vulnerability to exploit.

Look at Former NY Atty Schneiderman, Gone in the Blink of an Eye.

Of course they had that data waiting in the wings.

He just lost the balance of the scale that day.

5 Likes

Your world. Delivered.

To Spook Central.

2 Likes

Yes , David Carson, we do.
Since they are spying on all of us, and sending commercials that we don’t want , and selling our names to unknown 3 parties, and then CHARGING US for using their service? How is that logical? We are all paying for a service that spies on us? As long as we have to put up with that ridiculous crap--------
WHY are we paying to be spy fodder? Don’t all the users of AT&T et al have standing to protest this( since apparently we the people seem to lack standing for just about everything! )WE should get something for losing the 4th amendment-------------: 0

2 Likes

NSA, CIA, FBI, and now AT&T.

Trust no one.

7 Likes

That was how whistleblower and privacy advocate Edward Snowden reacted to the publication of an explosive story by The Intercept on Monday, which reveals for the first time how “fortress-like” AT&T buildings located in eight major American cities have played a central role in a massive National Security Agency (NSA) spying program "that has for years monitored billions of emails, phone calls, and online chats passing across U.S. territory."

"It’s eye-opening and ominous the extent to which this is happening right here on American soil," Elizabeth Goitein, co-director of the Liberty and National Security Program at the Brennan Center for Justice, told The Intercept in an interview. "It puts a face on surveillance that we could never think of before in terms of actual buildings and actual facilities in our own cities, in our own backyards."

The Intercept’s detailed report—based on a large body of evidence that includes public records, classified NSA documents, and interviews with former AT&T employees—shows how the telecom giant has willingly helped the NSA collect the data of its own customers and those of other companies, thanks to its "unique relationships with other phone and internet providers."

According to Intercept reporters Ryan Gallagher and Henrik Moltke, who bylined Monday’s story, eight AT&T facilities—known as “peering sites”—in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York City, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. "serve a specific function, processing AT&T customers’ data and also carrying large quantities of data from other internet providers."

2 Likes

Thanks that’s what I thought. Good idea to put a spanner in the works.

Excellent read.

Your niece, like mine, is part of the forst generation to grow up in th electronic world. They have never known a time when they weren’t connected to the media and each other. They have also never known privacy.
The ironic part of their generation is that there has never been a time when people could connect so easily, yet there generation is one of our most isolated ever. The concepts of collectivism and groupthink are completely lost on them.
They have become the perfect vehicle for the corporations to launch their plans for a fascist planet. Willing handmaidens to coming tribulations.

3 Likes

Long, long ago I was a young surfer riding the pacific ocean where it meets north american beaches and Hawaiian islands. Then a weird idea about killing Vietnamese to save them from becoming communist dominos began to be enforced by police. A neighborhood friend was pounded by charging cops while he was marching in a peace march wearing his marine uniform. He was hauled into military court but there was no law to punish him with and the first flower child walked free.

I was in college; a pre medical student, then a pre rocket scientist. People started calling me a communist. I finally went to graduate school and there studied a bit about communist political economics. This article summarizes how the United States government has become a communist style enemy of the people and also how quickly it is also failing.

“In 2003, the NSA launched new internet mass surveillance methods, which were pioneered under the FAIRVIEW program. The methods were used by the agency to collect—within a few months—some 400 billion records about people’s internet communications and activity, the New York Times previously reported. FAIRVIEW was also forwarding more than one million emails every day to a “keyword selection system” at the NSA’s Fort Meade headquarters.”

Hitler and Stalin both independently invented this same US government spy information gathering system, but neither one had centralized computers to glean info down to a mere one million communiques to read per day. Totalitarian dictators in those days employed hand labor making multicolored overlapping circles with people’s names in them. They would then hunt down those few poor souls they discovered listed where manually drawn circles intersected.

Hitler never learned. When the old Soviet Union finally gave up it was because every man, woman and child was needed 24/7 to make little colored circles and figure out who was listed where the circles intersected. Totalitarian dictatorships wedded to endless war soon discover that spies start out at minimum wage but quickly demand top dollar and fancy new headquarter buildings.

One hundred percent of totalitarian dictatorships go the same way the United States is going today. Centrally planned monopoly capitalism goes broke whether it is state owned corporations or private corporations.

2 Likes

This is why Colbert on Comedy Central called the company AT&Treason, most appropriately. Funny, but too damn true.

Colbert chimed in during the Bush administration’s actions after 911.

6 Likes

The science fiction of my youth often portrayed totalitarian governments excercising all manner of oppression and tight fisted control over an often beaten and depressed population. These stories were often framed within a backdrop of a bleak post apocolyptic world, or one suffering the throws of catastrophic climate change or some other singular natural disaster.
Things haven’t quite played out that way in the reality of the early 21st century. What we are experiencing are the final steps of a more “peaceful” fascist takeover of many governments. You see, the fascists of the first gilded age have learned from their ancestors mistakes of the early 20th century. They tried to quickly implement a worldwide fascist government through miltary means by backing the pliant dictators of the day, Hitler, Franco, el Duche, ect, as a plan to countermand the rising political power of the working classes of that era through organized labor. That effort failed for the obvious reason, they didn’t have enough nations on the Axis side. whT they learned was very telling. You could not beat fascism into people. You had to slow walk it. The people had to accept it willingly. In short, they needed to learn to love Big Brother.
Fast forward to today. The corporations not only pushed the ideals of rugged individualism and the American Dream. They developed the Internet not only as a tool to spy on every single American, but as means to create a more passive, disengaged populace. People on the internet actually believing they are making a difference (I’m aware of the irony, so don’t point that out :slight_smile: when they make comments or posts.
Inaction is now engrained in the American psyche. And it’s not that they don’t care, it’s that they no longer know how or why to care.
That’s why we are now a fascist nation.

2 Likes

Cut the cord, again.

1 Like

Need a new amendment regarding separation of business and state! But that will never happen. Crap times we live in. It’s difficult to watch authoritarian takeover.

2 Likes