Home | About | Donate

'Move, Mitch, Get Out the Way': McConnell and McCarthy Under Fire for Obstructing $2,000 Relief Checks

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/23/move-mitch-get-out-way-mcconnell-and-mccarthy-under-fire-obstructing-2000-relief

2 Likes

Trump has more than tripled the relief cash payment and vetoed the military bill. He is beclowning the Democrats on what are supposed to be their issues. Lol.

12 Likes

Lol. Just like he be-clowned the Democrats the last time leftists online declared he be-clowned the Democrats. Reality: the reason he vetoed the defense bill is because it “includes provisions that fail to respect our veterans and our military’s history.” By “fail to respect” and “history,” he means the provision of the bill that renames United States bases named after slave holders who seceded and went to war against the US.

As for the stimulus checks, Democrats already passed two bills that would give $1200 to all adults, and give them the same amount for each dependent. That means a family of four would receive $4800. But yes, it’s the Democrats that are be-clowned, not the leftists who specialize in finding ways to praise Republicans and Trump.

3 Likes

Yup, that’s why McConnell and McCarthy are backed into a corner while the president touts Democratic initiatives on Covid relief. And yup again as both Perdue and Loeffler are now forced to defend their antagonism to a widely popular provision in hotly contested races that will decide who controls the senate. Yup, it sure is the democrats who look like the clowns here.

5 Likes

If they had shame, they would be moved, but they don’t and they won’t. Any expectation otherwise is not credible, given Mitch’s Majority.

3 Likes

If the American citizens promise to give $250.00 out of their $2000.00 stimulus checks to one of Trump’s PACs or Election Defense Funds, will he swear on his favorite Bible, to stay in Florida and golf until President-Elect Biden takes office?
Just asking for a friend, btw.

6 Likes

Trump is playing the (faux) populist cards to make himself feel good, while (yes) he does things to make fools of Establishment Dems AND repubs like knee-jerk passage of huge defense bills.

Glad usually gun shy Dems like Pelosi and Shumer saw the opportunity here related to the $2000 direct payments, while McConnell and McCarthy (and repubs like Loeffler and Perdue by extension) look the fools, at least for now.

There is still time for Pelosi to blow the opportunity if she does not call the House back to hold a vote on a clean bill if the unanimous consent fails which is likely.

7 Likes

it should be noyted that a high percentage of the suffering experienced by the American people is a t a direct result of the incompetence of politicians and their loyalty to NOT HUMAN CORPORATIONS who have no empathy compassion or conscience.

4 Likes

You meant " there is still time for Pelosi to blow another opportunity ", correct?
Speaker Pelosi rolled the dice on the 2020 Congressional and Presidential elections and… well, let’s just say losing 12 House seats looks like she crapped out.
There’s some other issues Speaker Pelosi has crapped out on recently; but hey it’s the holidays, so progressives won’t rub it in.

6 Likes

This isn’t difficult to read, imho. Orangeman continually reverts to more and more uncontrollably infantile self-idolatry. The process continues despite his relative absence, lately, from public view – which is precisely what motivates this tantrum: It’s approximately 99.97% “MAMA, LOOK AT ME!!!” exactly like a little baby, getting younger every day as the few brain cells left to him escape a sinking ship.

This is just nuts. He’s blowing up the Republican party right now, as collateral damage with the other stuff he’s aiming to blow up (such as decency, liberty, and human dignity). There’s no strategy. It’s stochastic writhing meaninglessness. That’s what we’re looking at: a stark raving mad chief executive, if that’s any comfort. Mitch’s sorry butt has been burned bad by this veto-threat stunt.

5 Likes

I was just thinking that earlier today. If Trump manages to get a whole bunch of $2000 checks to his rube supporters before Inauguration Day, he and his “campaign” could see a huuuge windfall. He may even be able to make enough to pay off the Russian bankers he owes hundreds of millions to.

6 Likes

I used that very line the other day. While I may seen like a bit of an old softy, I can’t help but think, every time I see Trump on tv, self flagellating, sometimes all I see is a scared and frustrated little boy. One who was raised by the hired help, never actually experiencing his mother’s love. When he holds up his cartoonishly large sharpie signature on a simple document, he may as well be screaming “Look at me! Look what I did mommy! Mommy, why don’t you love me!”
Writer Thomas Harris in his book “red dragon” his protagonist FBI profiler Will Graham says of the serial killer he is pursuing, “monsters aren’t born, they’re made through years of systematic neglect and abuse. As a child my heart bleeds for this man. But as an adult I’d like to blow him out of his socks.”
In the end, that is the example we need to learn from the Trump years. Abused children grow up to be damaged adults. Most of those damaged adults however can only do harm on a small scale. But a rich sociopath can do immeasurable harm. And most of our CEOs and politicians now all share that same personality flaw. We will look back on these four years and remember them as the time when the inmates took over the asylum.

7 Likes

Trump’s seemingly genuine money gift is completely out of character for him, and should be carefully looked at before passing this $2000 gambit.
The tangled webs we weave.

Are they setting up any tent cities for the soon to be homeless, and getting bread lines and soup kitchens up and running?

5 Likes

Yes, we seldom see or hear from mentally ill lower class citizens and patients. That makes trump and other politicians stand out in a crowd when they do these crazy things.
Trump was totally unqualified for the position of POTUS, and it shows.

2 Likes

Could it be that we were wrong about trump all these years?..
…Naw, I don’t think so.

3 Likes

Yet another example of today’s Democratic misleaders standing so far on the Right that even narcissistic covid-killer Boss Tweet is to the “Left” of them on populist issues.

4 Likes

Yes, if we know anything about Trump, the proposal is not about stimulating us; IT’S ABOUT STIMULATING HIM!

3 Likes

It’s worth noting that Biden was with Mitch and McCarthy on this one. We might just start to refer to Red and Blue as “the guilty parties.”

4 Likes

This is insincere grandstanding by the Orangeman, just to get attention.
If he had cared, he’d have gotten involved in the relief bill two weeks ago.
The evening news showed him leaving DC for holiday vacation in FL.

3 Likes

The Cheeto has only three reasons, that I can see, for doing this:

1. To pretend he cares about “the little people”. It’s only self-aggrandizement.
  2. It’s a “Fuck You” to Moscow Mitch and other Rethugs for saying, “President-elect Biden”. He knows it will not go through the Senate and is counting on that.
  3. To pretend to care about the military, when in fact he doesn’t but wants to curry the racist, fascist members of the military to support his contesting the election by protecting the Confederate history.

The Democrats are asses “upon which everyone has sat/ except a man”, to paraphrase E. E. Cummings. They have nothing to feel smug about. Every time they kept caving into the Rethuglicans, they once again showed why people are loathe to vote for them. It is really time for a third party beginning this new year.

3 Likes