Home | About | Donate

Movements Need Imagination, Which Is Why I’m Not Buying My Kids Any More Toys

Movements Need Imagination, Which Is Why I’m Not Buying My Kids Any More Toys

Frida Berrigan

“Mine!”

“No. It’s mine!!”

They keep this “conversation” going for a while before there is a screech and a wail.

“Figure out a way to share it,” I call from the other room.

“Madeline,” says four-year-old Seamus, who puts on a very reasonable and emphatic voice with his two-year-old sister. “I want you to share that with me now.”

“No!”

On some level, I can’t blame her for saying no. Seamus inflects his “share” with a lot of muscle and possessiveness. They are stuck.

Ending a child's indoctrination is always an important element in their personal upbringing.
Teaching them to recognize propaganda is another.

Words of wisdom from an insightful mom! I enjoyed this article.

Yes, our kids are being indoctrinated daily, into becoming "consumer" robots. And don't even get me started on the truly heinous mind-control project of video "kill" games.

As this mom realizes, the time to reach kids is when they are young and impressionable. Reject plastic junk! That's my thing. It's all hype and promotion to make money off our kids and take the imagination work away from them.

Not to worry. If you allow kids to use their own imaginations, they will recognize "propaganda" when they see it--later in their lives.

I would like to take my grandchildren hiking like I used to before Zika, West Nile virus, Dengue, Chikungunya, Lyme Disease, MRSA and the rest appeared.

The increasingly bald-faced commercial corporate media tie-ins of entertainment that is sensory-saturating, violent, and leaves no room for wonder and imagination - to plastic-crap toys that leave little room for creative wonder and imagination, is the scariest aspect of - modern day "toys". The tools of capitalist indoctrination is seamless and complete - Aldous Huxley or George Orwell or HG Wells could have never predicted such stuff - though I guess Huxley came close.

Excellent Christmas tradition! Aren't you Canadian? I get the troubling feeling few USAns could have thought up such a thing.

Can you translate what you wrote into understandable English?

Yes, I've met Frida's famous late father and her late uncle, recently departed from us, both from Baltimore. Frida never suggested anything like your idea though.

And yes, come to think of it, there has never been anything like the Catonville Nine or Ploughshares actions in Canada - although both I and my now-Canadian brother cheered the burning police cars in Toronto in 2010 and in Rexton, NB in 2013.

If the author applies her ability to analyze and judge to the
replacements for CDs, she might see that these "advances" in business
practices have moral flaws much as Toys R Us does.

For instance, they just about all impose unjust contracts on the
"purchaser", contracts that nobody should sign. Many of them use DRM
(see DefectiveByDesign.org), and many of them track what a person
listens to.

The only ethical sale of copies of music is on CDs. Aside from those,
the only copies that don't do you an injustice are the ones you make
via file-sharing.

Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
MacArthur Fellow
Proud Luddite