Home | About | Donate

Movements, Not Presidents: The Nationwide Fight Against Neoliberalism

“This election cycle is bordering on farce.”

But there are choices we can make that moves it out of that farce category - and back into where it should and can be - a powerful vehicle for instituting and facilitating the policies and programs we say we want and one of those choices is Stein/Baraka in '16 …

Good post - great points …

" … even if we do not achieve change in reality."

And instead of continually blaming “the system” itself for our continued failure to “change reality”, i posit that we consider that the problem is, in fact, the way we have chosen to use it - to elect LOTE candidates, instead of good ones … the politics of fear, (propagated at hysterical levels on so many “prog” sites), whereby, as Stein points out, we have gotten everything we were afraid of. Time, way past time, to stop voting for the lesser evil and start voting for the greater good …

Both …

That Great Awakening is there still - and has representation - Stein/Baraka '16

We only go back to sleep when we take the D/R pill …

Not sure who here is “call(ing) to Stand in Solidarity with middle class workers alone …”

“I’ve only heard of the labor left in the US.”

Shucks, ya gotta get out more - heard of Cheri Honkala and the Poor Peoples’ Campaign?

I think a big mistake the movement made was in poring so much time, energy and money into a Dem candidate’s campaign - think what Stein could/could have do(ne) with $200+ million …

What Sanders campaign demonstrated, IMO, was how powerful such a movement can be - the trick now is to leverage that power in the right (as in correct) direction - there is still time this year, not much, but still time to do that - Stein/Baraka '16

“When Stein or some other alternative Party candidate actually gets elected, it will be proof that the movement is strong enough to force change legislatively. Movement first, election second.”

Stein or some other alt party candidate will get elected when we decide to elect them - it is our choice to do that now. Frankly i have run out of patience with this argument that we have to “wait” for some indeterminate future, when some indeterminate “critical mass” is reached - we have been hearing that for ages - we can do it now - Stein,after overcoming enormous hurdles, has met the technical challenges of getting on the ballot in the vast majority of States, 45, including DC, with 3 more as an allowed (countable) write-in, covering the vast majority of the population, with more than enough EC votes to win … So we have the movement AND we have a way for that movement to express itself politically - so we had better combine the 2 lickety split, because we are running out of time …

Not to mention those running for Senate, like Flowers in MD …

thanks, ‘aquifer’! early this morning i took my son into the emergency room and now am trying to keep my mind and hands occupied while i await test results.

lin, aka nature’s child

Mentioning Sanders twice in this article, and Stein not even once, belies Jake’s concern with his biases. To ignore the one consistent attempt over the years to denounce the inequities in America and the severity of the climate crisis, is to voluntarily act blind.

If Stein is elected, it will be the result of the miracle of that movement having preceded her.

(edit: I jumped this on your first post, lobo4justice. I now see you’ve addressed it yourself in the follow-up. Cheers.)

Where we differ is that I believe that the Sanders “revolution” was a campaign and not a movement, because if it was a movement, Sanders would have won or Stein would be doing much better in the polls. Sanders added much needed fire to a forming movement, but it isn’t yet a full fledged movement with the power to change the course of this country either electorally or through community education, solidarity building, civil disobedience and resistance on a large scale.

The time will come when our votes have power, but they have little now because we are very much a divided populace. The electoral system is rigged to maintain the status quo; no political organization knows this better than the Green Party.

The Movement for Black Lives, the Standing Rock Sioux. Occupy all bear hallmarks of actual movement building. Each has a shared set of demands, each educates and organizes within their communities, each one uses protest and resistance, and each practices solidarity building. When these three groups come together under one banner, and are joined by white allies from the environmental movement and Labor, that’s real evidence of a viable movement. When we see activity in community after community like we saw in the Vietnam protests or the civil rights movement, we have a movement with electoral power.

Folks are not just going to vote green in this highly propagandized electorate, until the movement has reached into communities of all stripes, educated citizens on the alternatives, and empowered them to act in their best interests. Until that point, the US electorate will continue to do this awful dance with the one-party duopoly every four years.

A June Quinnipiac poll (page 7) revealed that 87% of those polled didn’t know enough about Stein to even have an opinion of her. The question and responses don’t reveal how many of those 87% never heard of her, but I’m pretty sure it’s a considerable portion. The poll also included Sanders. While much has changed since this poll, there has been little movement in Stein’s overall polling numbers since then, even though more people are now more aware of her candidacy. The left actually has a candidate to get behind, but hasn’t (nothing new here really), and that’s because there’s no viable social movement educating and driving voters towards an alternative vision in between elections.

How I wish we could just vote ourselves out of this mess–what a time saver–but history teaches us a much different lesson. We the people are going to have to fight for our democracy; systemic change starts with movements and ends in the ballot box, not the other way around.

On a personal note, I’m familiar with your posts and am generally in agreement with your comments. Thank you for this exchange.

Everytime I see or hear about Jill Stein and her Green Party down in the USA, I can not help but think…
Trump in Drag.
Or to be more direct - Donald Trump Lite.
Hint: If they talk about themselves more than they do the electorate and the grassroots issue then things have been trumped up.