Home | About | Donate

Moving Beyond 'Bigotry of Yore,' Court Revokes Redskins Trademark

Moving Beyond 'Bigotry of Yore,' Court Revokes Redskins Trademark

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

In what is being reported as the biggest legal blow thus far against the contentious Washington D.C. football enterprise, a federal court on Wednesday ruled that the name "Redskins" is disparaging to Native Americans and thus its trademark registration must be revoked.

Research has shown that Native Americans find mascots difficult to deal with, even when flattering, as are those of Haskell College. Let's face it--objectification is offensive no matter how "good" the intentions or how pretty the wrapping.

Maybe it can be considered a small victory for AI peoples as the US moves (slowly, reluctantly) toward actually recognizing the validity of Native American positions on such matters?

The baseball team in my home city still uses an indigenous mascot. I recently heard a broadcast over the radio and found they are STILL doing the tomahawk chop. Growing up, I used to think it was a sort of honor, calling them "The Braves." It's all the other mockery that goes into it that completes an overall insulting picture. I am half Cherokee, and yes, my skin turns red when I go in the sun, but I've been called "red" for other reasons. In that context I will consider it an honor.

You never see a sports team call themselves the Gringos.
But for decades, they thought Redskins was acceptable...
Its clear who's been formulating the discussion all this time.
My congratulations go out to Amanda Blackhorse and the other plaintiffs.
Job well done.