Home | About | Donate

Mueller Report Ends a Shameful Period for the Press

Mueller Report Ends a Shameful Period for the Press

Chris Hedges
The Mueller report’s categorical statement that Donald Trump and his campaign did not collude with Russia ends one of the most shameful periods in modern American journalism, one that rivals the mindless cheerleading for the Iraq War by most of the press.
6 Likes

Highest respects for Chris Hedges, but he’s got to be clearer about this. Was the entire world utterly moronic for seeing something fishy here? Impossible. You can write off everybody for wondering about this and following this, but it would have been highly irresponsible not to look into these allegations what with the hints given including Trump’s perpetual guilt soaked daily protestations and his Putin sycophancy. Everybody wondered what he was trying to hide. Please, Chris, re-write this article and let us know where the Rachel Maddows of the world had suddenly turned into imbeciles. And yes, I do want to see the full report anyway, because even if there was no Trump illegality there may turn out to be some Trump immorality and impropriety which the people need to know about if they are to consider rehiring him as president. Please be clearer next time before condemning everyone.

2 Likes

“But over the past three years this obsession blotted out most of the eal crimes committed by this administration and the reality most Americans endure.”…Chris Hedges.

IMO Chris is telling the truth and stating the facts, sans the BS coming from the “mainstream media”. Distractions and diversions have cost us dearly. While entranced by spectacle, the public at large has been gypped and fleeced.

6 Likes

“eal” should be ‘real’ My ‘r’ key sticks sometimes. I may have gotten a drop of gruel on my keyboard.

1 Like

Nighthawk, you’re the best. But “gypped” isn’t said, darling, out of respect for the Romani people.

4 Likes

Don’t want to speak for Hedges, but I doubt he was against an investigation. Let them investigate and let it take its course, but in the meantime, how about these (supposedly) lefty scribes focus on much more critical problems. Here are some examples:

Trump likes to brag that he has undone countless regulations to free up businesses. Does anyone bother to check what rules he’s erased with regard to clean air/water, workers’ safety, AIRPLANE fitness, etc.?

Or how about the the effects his tax cuts have had on the continuing distribution of wealth to the upper class? And one of my pet peeves (mentioned by Chris), arming the world to the extent that it now has become one of our top exports. The list goes on.

These aren’t sexy headline grabbers, they’ll tell us. But that’s what real journalism is about. And there’s another troubling angle. The reason they avoid such issues is because they don’t want to educate you about arms sales and insane military budgets (defense stocks), single payer, holding Wall Street accountable, capital gains tax rates, etc., because they’re on the other team re these matters. Identity politics and boilerplate dem platforms are acceptable. Just watch the stonewalling when you strike at the heart of what ails us economically. Don’t forget the people that own or run major media outlets are all rich. And now, so are many of the people they employ. Or, more succinctly, the 1 percenters.

Cracks me up that Mueller somehow acquired across-the-board cache’ as an honest broker with integrity. He’s the same guy whose testimony helped launch the Iraq invasion. And he worked for an organization that has historically infiltrated and damaged progressive movements, from Dr. King to Occupy Wall Street (are you listening Bill Maher?). Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if the entire thing was a con, since nothing has strengthened Trump’s miserable presidency, and by extension the republican party, more than this report.

9 Likes

Hi Jona I liked what Chris hedges wrote. America 's major media has become the National Inquirer, and there’s an old movie called NETWORK, that looks as if it had been made yesterday with the strange press we have now
. Maybe it started with WMDs , but it gets worse every day. We don’t have news very much —it’s more like slanted opinion. And too, I agree that Israel is way too important to many in Congress. Maybe it’s because some people talk about politics in a sports kind of way—like teams v teams. Most would really appreciate the TRUTH----that just takes longer to discover to report. : (

5 Likes

“The truth is out there.” You just have to turn off the TV, put down the NYTimes and Washington Post, and look outside the Android box. (Chris Hedges was fired by the NYT for telling the truth about the Iraq War.) By the way, the best sources of accurate news on “Maddow-gate” has been shows on RT-America, Sputnik, Al Jazeera, and teleSUR. From Eugene Puryear to Abby Martin, they have suffered the abuse and strangling of income by Google that comes with reporting based on fact not supposition. Turns out the propaganda was calling from inside the house.

5 Likes

Hedges nails it again. From day one I said the Russiagate thing was a product of the DNC as a thinly veiled attempt to deflect attention from their crimes - which were exposed for all the world to see in the leaked, not hacked, emails. But there have been zero consequences. The press still lies, the DNC still does whatever it can to find an ass-kissing corporate “centrist” to lose against Donald Trump, and all the many very real crimes against this country and its people (and the people of the world, but that’s nothing new) just go on. And all the little “liberals” who don’t support universal health care, reduced Pentagon spending, higher wages for workers and all the rest, they will keep pretending that they are the answer to our problems. Unfortunately they are the very reason that Trump was elected, for all the reasons Hedges notes.

I was a journalist for over a quarter century, and was critical of the American ‘free press’ before I even graduated from J school. As bad as it was way back then, it is far, far worse today. It basically just reinforces Trump’s attacks by being stupid, propagandizing and lying. He attacks it for the wrong reasons maybe, but those attacks will just resonate more and more.

“I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness …”

6 Likes

Glenn Greenwald is the go to guy on this (hint: the entire MSM was utterly moronic).

4 Likes

A good article by Hedges, but this does not end a shameful period for US mainstream media, this is merely a point along a very long trail.

The shameful behavior of the corporate media will continue unabated, rest assured.

5 Likes

So you’re taking Barr’s word for what the Mueller report says? Really? I thought you were more intelligent than that.

1 Like

Actually, the whole world wasn’t “utterly moronic” for seeing something fishy. Some of us were aware from the beginning that the ‘hacked’ documents, which were the impetus of the entire fraud, were not hacked by Russians but downloaded by a DNC insider. We were well aware of the rigging of the Democratic nomination after we read those documents after they were published by Wikileaks.

We were aware of the subsequent murder of a man who worked for the DNC who took those documents and we were aware of the many steps taken by Wikileaks to offer a reward for information leading to an arrest in his murder.

We were aware of the computer science experts (some were ex-CIA) who proved conclusively that the stolen documents could NOT have been hacked by Russia based on quite a few facts that can be proven scientifically (speed of data transfer, time stamps - ‘faked’ Russian fingerprints, etc.).

We were aware of the massive scrubbing effort taken by many of the DNC operatives once this information started making the rounds on Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets. Many DNC operatives, including Wasserman-Schultz literally removed ALL social media posts and information preceding a certain date to prevent scrutiny.
We were aware the DNC REFUSED to give the supposedly ‘hacked’ server to the FBI to investigate.

We were aware that the people associated with the DNC told the police investigating the murder of the DNC employee to ‘stand down’.

We watched with absolute bewilderment and outright frustration and anger as the Democrat elites and their many media bed-buddies propagandized the vast majority of Americans with absolute lies - just as the two parties and the media have done for decades.

4 Likes

Well we have to give Trump credit, he is correct in calling the MSM “FAKE NEWS”!

2 Likes

No Jona, as Noam Chomsky states the rest of the world considered Russiagate to be a farscile joke. The American media led you down a twisted path following the leaks provided by Brennan and his acolytes. These leaks would be headlines for a week. When responsible independent journalists debunked on leak, it had been repeated so often it became commonly believed. Then the next false leak would appear. This happened over and over again. This was an orchestrated propaganda campaign. You were conned, Jona.
Unfortunately for the rest of us, this fiasco has handed Trump a huge club to pound his legitimate critics with. You have lost us almost 3 years tilting this imaginary windmill. Now it is likely Trump will be re-elected. I look and see that you plan to double down continue with this failed strategy till Trump is elected again.
Such Fools.

4 Likes

Except that Trump would call anything that accurately reports unflattering news ‘fake’… while lying pathologically to all his minions who think he honestly has their backs.

The problem is that once in a while the MSM actually does mix in a few truths…and so those many, whose critical thinking skills weren’t developed or have been atrophied by our sound-byte world, are incapable of recognizing when they’re being merely propagandized.

Some day, if/when “the revolution comes”, perhaps there will be a real truth commission. And its job will be to hold to accounting all those who profited by deliberately misleading the public. That would include so-called “scientists” and marketing types who knowingly helped push toxic chemicals and environmentally destructive practices while creating obstacles for public health and environmental protections.

And media talking heads and producers who helped push endless war and imperialism based on “American Exceptionalism” would be at the top of the list.

2 Likes

Someone told me the word “gypsy” is not ok either, but I haven’t been able to confirm that. You don’t happen to know about it, do you? Maybe it depends on the context.

1 Like

I wish I could remember everyone who deserves credit for not being fooled by this hoax from the beginning. I have not seen anyone credit Black Agenda Report yet. I don’t think anyone there was fooled.

Here’s Margaret Kimberley:

3 Likes

“Gypsy” isn’t any more offensive than “Jew” in my opinion (and that of some great artists, such as the Gispy Kings). The problem comes in with the verb, connoting “to cheat” – exactly as if I were to say someone “jewed me out” of my payoff.

2 Likes