Home | About | Donate

Multiple Crises Signal the Need to Change Course

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/06/27/multiple-crises-signal-need-change-course

6 Likes

It’s time for those who have enjoyed the privileges bestowed by skin colour and background to question their own inherent biases, to be part of the solution—or get out of the way.

Here’s what I don’t get about this rap from Suzuki, which is common from a certain corner of the left urge-osphere (“I urge us to this, I urge us to that”): Momentarily for the sake of discussion, imagine my pate shaved, my neck tatted, and so forth – call me Wasp, the “white” anglo sex-crazed protestant. Life has its irritants, but overall Wasp I can chime in with Randy Newman that “My Life Is Good” – you see? You want me to what? Question my “own inherent biases”?

Suzuki seems to float happily above all the conflict, which sometimes seems peaceful and enlightened, and sometimes seems privileged and oblivious.

1 Like

I know you are a climate activist and well respected. I have heard over the probably last decade about the melting perma frost and what diseases or…might be let loose. Is this correct.

1 Like

March before you cannot even crawl.

1 Like

David Suzuki’s skill in enlightened Evolutionary Consciousness was recognized as early as 2004 by the writers and editors of Enlighten-Next as one of the world’s prominent spiritual leaders. At the end of this article, Suzuki writes, “All of these crises are grounded in outdated systems that prioritize profits and economic measures over human health, well-being and survival. We have no end of solutions to these crises, but ultimately, systemic change is required to overcome the short-sighted greed that has sent us speeding down this path.” His speaking has resonance because of the consistency of his attention over time to these impacts on humanity and our home planet.

Imperturbability is an achievement of peace and enlightenment practices, in daily practice over a lifetime, which can empower any person and all people to clear and cleanse inner conflicts based on the past and to focus their present action aikido-like on the here-and-now issues that move forward life for all sentient beings. Gratitude to David Suzuki for lighting our way.

4 Likes

I’m frankly skeptical of incapacity to perceive or name enemies at this point, friend – even in people whose books I’ve read and respected such as David Suzuki. Is there something going on with all the WWF plugs, by the way? Goddam it, it’s indisputably a war now – everyone needs to wake up, imho.

Just as we can remember our martyrs, say their names, we can also pay respect for their sacrifice by remembering the names of the institutions which kill us, and the people leading the lethal charge. We can remember the names of our enemies – were I in that urging habit, I would so urge.

3 Likes

Books are just information at a certain level, you can learn from them regardless of whether they are good books or not. It is up to you whether you can generalize the information and make it useful and remember it. So reading it is only part of the process, your brain will edit what you don’t use. There are better learning methods but books are good too. The best example of this is brain surgery, never buy a book that advocates do-it-yourself. Just kidding, polyphenols for all of my friends.

2 Likes

Funny you should mention brain-surgery. Books are like boxes of chocolate: you never know what you’ll get. One of the most surprisingly transformative books I’ve ever read has extensive discussion of brain-surgery, from Popper’s co-author Eccles in The Mind And Its Brain. (But I haven’t gotten bored enough to attempt any hemispheric segmentation at home, as yet.)

1 Like

This Popper? Pamela Popper? Interesting, is this discussion of what amount to the chemical equivalent of changing the brain and possible consequences.

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNRyxWjlYVo

Thanks for the reference!

I respect Mr. Suziki and agree with his assessment. Change has been needed in the way that he describes since the 60’s and on the table for discussion since then. As much as change usually emerges from the bottom, we’ve had no end of unenlightened leadership since the negative consequences of our actions became obvious. I really think we need both. We need the electorate to speak loudly to leadership and we need leadership that leads beyond a certain group of people. When the straw will fall that signals a return to balance is anyone’s guess at this point.

4 Likes

"Nothing much will change if I am elected."

Some choice!!

"We’re doomed…doomed!" - Dr. Smith

2 Likes

The MAGAts need a change Their diapers are beginning to reek.

2 Likes

It’s been one crisis after another around here lately. It’s this screwed up system we have here that is bought and paid for by rich oligarchs who don’t give a s— about how much damage they cause as long as their bottom line keeps increasing. You can parade out all the intellectual thinkers you want(Suzuki) but nothing’s gonna change until there is a sea-change by the people. We can only take so much.

2 Likes

Oh, thank you. A breath of fresh air amid the fetid nay-saying and nihilism rampant in these pages.

3 Likes

To what aspects of “this . . . system” are you referring? Or were you just venting, which is OK but often confusing.

1 Like

I just explained that in the previous sentence. What is your purpose here if all you can do is dissect our opinions and throw out your defense of the “screwed up system”. There, figure it out again.

Do you mean Eccles book “How the Self Controls its Brain”? I actually have a small connection to Eccles in that area - as he often quoted, and was in frequent contact, with Benjamin Libet who I worked with in designing and analyzing some influential studies he conducted on the subconscious mind in the 70s and 80s.

1 Like

"We have no end of solutions to crises, but systemic change is required to overcome the short-sighted greed that sent us speeding down this path,” so said David Suzuki. End solutions to human crisis events are possible, but there is an end which looks less luxurious thankfully hopefully an end to crude wastefulness and opulent disregard for environmental impact and resilience.

3 Likes

Good interview (imo)

Why it’s time to think about human extinction | Dr David Suzuki
h-ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=437&v=ktnAMTmgOX0&feature=emb_logo

"Can the damage we’ve done to the planet be reversed? Is extinction of the human race imminent? We talk about population control, the importance of renewable energy and discuss what we can do right now in our own lives that can actually make a difference.

This is for anyone who cares about the future of mankind.

Timestamps
20:06
Why humanity has only got 1 minute left to live
25:25
Humans are the only species that don’t care about their own children
29:17
Educate yourself on politics or don’t complain about the government
36:26
Can we be saved from our own extinction?
59:09
A final challenge for entrepreneurs

2 Likes

Oh–OK. Clearly, venting.

Q: Where on earth do you get the idea that I am DEFENDING any particle of whatever “system” you have in mind?