Home | About | Donate

Multiple Crises Signal the Need to Change Course

Oh–OK. Clearly, venting.

Q: Where on earth do you get the idea that I am DEFENDING any particle of whatever “system” you have in mind?

There is only one possible solution to humanitys on going demise .
It’s a spiritual solution,understanding our Oneness with each other and that everything is connected …from there the solutions will appear from no-where to now-here the dominos will be set in motion.We will suddenly begin to see what we must do to make our planet work for the highest good of all not just for the interests of the rich and powerful .
We will all want it this way .
All For One And One For All.
The Golden rule will finally be practised not just a fleeting statement .

4 Likes

We have tried & seen FAIL miserably:
“Trickle down economics” ~ total failure!
Deregulation of banks & businesses. Fail!
Propping up oil & gas, while NOT doing same for “alternative energies”.
Private, for profit health care/ insurance. (How did they help us with pandemic?) Fail!
Massive (grotesque!) funding of Defense Dept. that is NOT about defense. It is a “War & Killing Dept.” Pure & simple!
We have bailed out those “too big to fail” & they didn’t change.
Let them fail!
Business mergers ~ Let markets decide. Fail!
Campaign funding “reform” ~ FAIL! (Electoral College is also a big fail!)
Tax cuts for the very wealthy… Epic fail!
Positive changes from top, down. Fail!
Seems to me that changes, new ideas, tolerance, saving evironment & climate change…& definitely, consumer economics & real wage growth – must come from the bottom, up!
Grassroots, not status quo, is where change for thr better comes from!

2 Likes

The Establishment does not “change course” unless forced to do so. And most often, not until too late. We don’t have the luxury of time to wait for them to catch up. It is up to us all!

2 Likes

No disagreement with everything you wrote.
But my question is, of course, so what is he, and we SUPPOSED to do? In actual reality… not in some social/eco warrior fantasy novel?
I am at a loss. Spouse and I have spent our entire adult lives, working fairly society enhancing jobs, trying to raise two good kids, living a modest life and spending a fair portion of our time trying to support progressive local candidates with our time and money, trying to educate family, friends and community on the important issues facing the country and the planet, protesting, calling writing and all the rest.

I certainly do not think our little efforts of one family would or should change anything but I see lots of people doing what we are doing and yet the needle has , if we face pure unadulterated reality, moved to things getting exponentially worse… A few bright lights flash occasionally but nothing holds and rebound seems worse than before the bit of light…
What can anyone seemingly do including Suzuki?
Get a few monuments torn down, a few flags changed, a few kids out of detention while in a week triple that amount maybe locked up, an environmental law changes for the better whilst ten more awful things are done in the same day…
We keep trying to move forward and stay involved in the fight to do better but more and more the doom is just enveloping us and sapping our energy. Spouse and I are realizing we are, aided by the pandemic now, just starting to retreat , if you will, into our little zone conserving our energies now just for the survival of our little circle of home and family/good friends …
I see many public activists like Suzuki somewhere on this spectrum. Eventually the teaching and preaching and educating by him and others is realized to be falling on deaf ears… as we spiral ever downward…

3 Likes

What a thoughtful reply – thanks so much!!!

Lately I find myself in the unaccustomed position of being the optimist in the room, for once – but only because it’s becoming increasingly obvious we need to start over again, “organizing its powers in such form” as the old slave-flesh merchant wrote. And the actual room is a small one to be the optimist in. I don’t have a more exalted political guru in my life than Sister Angela, who says she never thought she’d live to see this day. That has me convinced: We’re watching and working with something real.

My impatience with Suzuki is simple: Name the oppressors, if you care, because these public-pirate academic partnerships that putative enviros like McK are corrupted with haven’t gotten us anywhere, have they? It’s rude to suggest the possibility of casual, look-the-other-way corruption suffusing beloved institutions like the ivy-covered walls of privileged academia, but look at the mess, really: professors for sale all over the place. In that context, and with the suspicious presence of WWF plugs to boot, I have an idea why Suzuki doesn’t mention enemies: for the same reason McK doesn’t: because he’s sold out to them, he’s neck-deep in public-pirate partnerships, building better tomorrows.

In that context, if that’s what he’s doing, it’s not complicated to suggest that he might stop it, that if he weren’t working with predatory organizations like WWF he wouldn’t have so much trouble speaking certain essential truths: such as who’s been doing this to us. My question to Suzuki boils down to “Which side are you on?” Essays like this one are counter-productively ambiguous, imho.

You posit a deeper question about what people should do in general. I can only answer for myself. I’ve had very heavy disorientation in my life, and gotten in the habit of flailing for solid foot- and hand-holds as I scrabble along. There are always limitless intervening priorities, but my devotional exercise – for which some time each day must be reserved – is understanding this point in history, taking in what I can about my temporal reality, here in Richmond, CA. If they haven’t yet entirely paved over “Albany Hill” where I used to walk, there were profoundly timeless grinding bowls for acorns worn into serpentine outcrops there. Staring into that contact with original inhabitants, and feeling the connection to today, that’s where I want to be – though I’m not sure what I mean to do when I get there.

2 Likes

Upon reflection on your words I see what you are saying about Suzuki and Co. and it was eye opening. You have altered the lens with which I will be looking at these people going forward.
As well as your quite profound thoughts about placing your thoughts about yourself and your place as part of the timestream to gain perspective and optimism . Sorry if my interpretation of what I hear you saying sounds goofy- I don’t seem to have the facility with words I did in my youth but I think I do get it. And will be trying to find that kind of perspective .
Thanks Aleph, I always find your thoughts valuable.

3 Likes

Here is something that I learned from this and that is how things have changed. I think it most telling when serpentine changed from a simple tool to an indication it is commonly found in an area that produces gold, to a state rock, and then a misunderstood mineral. There is a lesson here.

~https://laist.com/2010/07/19/asbestos_in_californias_state_rock.php

Edited: I should have included your source as a touch stone…a nice touch.

2 Likes

Very funny, fern. That brought a chuckle.

1 Like

I really like rocks, they all have a history, I have a large chrysoprase (a relative of serpentine) that is like an old friend. I have to be reminded they have amusement too. Thanks

1 Like

That’s very interesting about Libet, thank you.

I am such an idiot today with malapropisms, I screwed up the title in question:

The Self and Its Brain: An Argument for Interactionism (with Sir John C. Eccles), 1977

I remembered Mind for Self, because that’s really the intersection of Popper and Eccles’ dialectic: pretty close to the physical barrier between the self-hood of a cognitive mind and the dance of chemically or electrically excited nerve cells. My lockdown partner quibbles with overuse of the modifier “literally” – this philosophical slash neurophysical moon-dive of a book is almost literally mind-blowing, imho.

The two of them, Sir Karl and Sir Jack, diverge quite a bit on basic philosophical questions. Unexpectedly, Karl Popper strikes me as the more scrupulously scientific, not as beguiled by humanistic hunches as Jack Eccles. I guess it seems ironic to me because Eccles is more intimate with impenetrable neurological mysteries, but less epistemically awed by such mysteries than Popper.

What are we supposed to do? There may be a means for redirecting industrial manufacture away from those which require long-distance travel and transport of material goods and finished products. The global economy must begin to phase down to be replaced with local and regional economies supported by state and national economies. The most important scales of economy are local and (metropolitan area) regional because they must address insane traffic which will only be made worse with “driverless” car nonsense. GM’s new ads predicting “Zero accidents and Zero traffic congestion” is pure deceitful marketing. Daimler Truck wants us to believe their electric model rig isn’t a colossal waste of battery resources. These corporations can be taken to court, but just proving their schemes are absurd would be enough an embarrassment to get their attention. We may need to “nationalize” the railroads to build operable reliable Amtrak service. If Warren Buffet doesn’t like it, tough. His BNSF RR is the king of Coal/Oil/Gas shipment. He owes us.

You missed my mention of ‘realistically‘ . Good ideas though of course. They just won’t happen without a collapse or revolution.

Our transportation systems are a core problem that if addressed first are like dominos tipping the rest. If we couldn’t drive nor fly, nor truck and ship goods around the as much as we do, things would change and we’d lose undue influence of corporate business interests. There must be some legal means to hold big industries accountable for their failures and responsible to manufacture vehicles whose designs aren’t based on Planned Obsolescence. They’re certainly lying about “driverless” car nonsense.

2 Likes

No argument there.

urging habit

laughing without laughing here

encouraging

Forgot the 3 post limit, so I will change this reply to Aleph into a general reply!

‘…In science it is very common as you make advances scientist do debate and question each other and that is how knowledge advances. But for the general public it’s a new experience to have all of this debate happening out in the public domain.’ Dr. Soumya Swaminathan

Seems like Earth’s largest human population ever…could cut its resource consumption more than any prior, but at the same time become more scientific and democratic than any prior. Wouldn’t THAT mark a change in human societies more significant than any introduced by any prior technologies?

Well, I commented to a friend yesterday that, had the nation launched a Green New Deal, re-configured supply chains would have brought on just as many confoundments as SARS-CoV-2 has. I’ll stick by that today, Tuesday! And I think perhaps you could even throw in some additional challenges posed by Gail Tverberg to boot.

Probably trying to convince trickle-downers will cause us to argue at times with a little excess of fact-based empiricism (if such a thing can be). Yes the more we lead folks into the weeds in that manner, the more we’ll likely lose a portion of the-set-of-all-those-who-will-listen [the difficulties Michael Moore’s movie’s encountering eg]. Whaddya gonna do? I’m not omniscient; I’m just one of the WE out here, and cannot myself lay out some sure-fire plan on how to convince voters.

Dr. Soumya Swaminathan quoted in “Kerala Dialogue | Counterforces will emerge post COVID-19 pandemic: Noam Chomsky”
~https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/kerala/counterforces-will-emerge-post-pandemic-chomsky/article31925835.ece

This also I thought interesting [Vandana Shiva’s ideas finally erupting?] “India Must Return Rural Economy to the Forefront of a National Growth Trajectory - Experts” ~https://sputniknews.com/analysis/202006301079749005-india-must-return-rural-economy-to-the-forefront-of-a-national-growth-trajectory—experts/

PS Aleph & dpearl, glad yall mentioned Karl Popper. He’s germane, and few few few there be that know it! There’s a fb page on him done by a guy named Luc, first name.

At this link I’ve found the time for Sheldrake’s input, not for the rest yet, ha!
~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7KaNnFij2Q

I’ve read a bit of Oliver Sacks.

Relating to your commitments and experience, Merf, the changes in our lives and actions echo what you relate from yours. Retreat is an effective strategy in such times as these, to preserve and build our resilience and energies until we can re-emerge, as counseled by the I Ching for millennia. Retreat into stillness is wise, effective, and sufficient.

For 50 years I have gained strength and perspective by consulting China’s wisdom text, which nourished me over decades practicing acupuncture, education, and the arts. How do these suggestions resonate with you?

This Juneteenth, Hexagram #36 “Ming I”/ Darkening of the Light, counsels, “Darkness reigns in the external world now. Disengage from negative feelings and maintain your inner light.”
1st & 6th lines change to #52 “Kên”/ Keeping Still, Mountain, which reinforces: “Still your emotions through meditation.”

1st line/“Cling to what is calm and good no matter what others do, and allow the Creative to work in its own time.”

6th line/“The darkness has reached a climax. If you are firm in holding to Acceptance, Balance, & Correctness, you emerge successful.” [A-B-C!]

Hexagram #36: “Dark and inferior energies surround you. Sun is completely swallowed by the Earth. Inside your heart is the only light left. Return to it. Maintain it. Quietly nourish yourself with it.”

Hexagram #52: “The nature of having a body includes strong feelings and impulses. For our thoughts and actions to be clear and balanced, remain quiet to allow gentleness neutrality and graceful wisdom.” “Keep still as a mountain now.”

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughtful post Health4all. I will look into this…

1 Like