Home | About | Donate

Murdering Democracy in Kenosha

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/08/27/murdering-democracy-kenosha

2 Likes

The USA has been a plutocracy for a long time now. Any so-called Democracy was murdered a long time ago. Trump is merely the latest figurehead in a long line of them that have been put in place to destroy the USA on behalf of the oligarchs who own the USA. Society in now in its final days of collapse. Just wait until Election Day. No matter who wins the far right will only be emboldened more and more. If Biden wins they will go crazy as Trump claims fraud. And if Trumps wins they will take it as a sign to continue their violent killing ways. I give the USA a couple more months until all hell breaks loose. I really hope I am only being a negative Nelly in my predictions, but this latest episode in Kenosha where cops outright killed another black man just for the fun of it, while letting a white kid walk free after murdering peaceful protestors tells me all I need to know. The USA is out of control and the police who are supposed to serve and protect the citizens are the ones inciting and supporting outright murder and violence. I have never been more depressed at the state of the world than I am now. And that is not even factoring in things like climate catastrophe and economic collapse.

8 Likes

Yes, Robert Taft, Joseph McCarthy and the Dulles brothers pushed democracy into free fall in 1950, with the SCOTUS dealing the death blow after the 2000 election. Kenosha is more comparable to Concord NH in 1775 and Fort Sumner in 1861, major escalations of hostilities.

4 Likes

Check your facts. The police are not trained properly. I agree the post WWII democracy was killed by the ferocious anti-communist propaganda that in essence made the rich the victims and justified in any attempt to destroy democracy or reform in the name of anti-communism. The police treat every one badly don’t kid yourself. They are not qualified to intervene in disputes or help. They are trained to use weapons not be helpers.

1 Like

What facts does the estimable Babel need to check? She or he told the truth, straight up.

"The USA has been a plutocracy for a long time now. Any so-called Democracy was murdered a long time ago. Trump is merely the latest figurehead in a long line of them that have been put in place to destroy the USA on behalf of the oligarchs who own the USA. Society in now in its final days of collapse. Just wait until Election Day. No matter who wins the far right will only be emboldened more and more. If Biden wins they will go crazy as Trump claims fraud. And if Trumps wins they will take it as a sign to continue their violent killing ways. I give the USA a couple more months until all hell breaks loose. I really hope I am only being a negative Nelly in my predictions, but this latest episode in Kenosha where cops outright killed another black man just for the fun of it, while letting a white kid walk free after murdering peaceful protestors tells me all I need to know. The USA is out of control and the police who are supposed to serve and protect the citizens are the ones inciting and supporting outright murder and violence. I have never been more depressed at the state of the world than I am now. And that is not even factoring in things like climate catastrophe and economic collapse."

3 Likes

They are probably monitoring this site and our comments.

At this point it’s pretty obvious that the John Birch Society, the original anti-racist group back when the Democrats and liberals still supported racism and segregation, has been right all along.

Maybe you should check your facts:

~https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/data-show-deaths-from-police-violence-disproportionately-affect-people-of-color

Two thoughts on the canonization of Rittenhouse by the right wing echo chamber:

He was in violation of two laws even being at the protest with a gun, prior to killing people.
He was out after a posted curfew and he was under the legal age to carry in Wisconsin.
So much for law and order.

And as far as this is concerned:
“Black Lives Matter, the largest protest in U.S. history, is the only social force actively opposing them in the streets.”

Does the right wing echo chamber – would Kyle Rittenhouse – support the arming of black citizen militias?

I can imagine the police reaction if black men armed with assault rifles came to ‘defend property’ and ‘protect’ people. Like the air is taken for granted so is U.S. racism.So pervasive many can’t see it.

2 Likes

I do not think police are killing people because it is fun, but because they are unqualified and badly trained. Not disputing those facts. Not disputing that certain cops enjoy clubbing people. I played golf with a young man who just graduated cop school in LA. He said half the people just wanted to beat the shit out of someone and half wanted to protect and serve. Imagine after exposure to the Thin Blue Line that number who wants to help goes down. Police won’t change until better people are hired.

The Kenosha person was injured not killed, hopefully his paralysis is temporary. The minor who killed people did walk away as far as I can tell. The police went to assist the victims and he left the scene. There were at least 20 shots fired. It is not clear who fired them. But the kid was arrested in Illinois and appears to be the killer. Both dead people were Caucasian. The kid is looking at life in prison and is clearly mentally ill. Why would he have access to a gun and a car?

Reagan militarized the police forces and it continues. Did you notice the shields and apparatus the Kenosha cops had? They looked like Caesar’s legions. How much was spent on their toys instead of on their training?

2 Likes

We do not have to imagine, look at what happened to the Black Panthers! Many were murdered by thee F. B. I.