Home | About | Donate

Muslim Americans Are Building an Infrastructure to Protect Themselves

Muslim Americans Are Building an Infrastructure to Protect Themselves

Faiza Patel

This election season has been an anxious time for Muslim Americans. After the election, my Facebook feed was filled with Muslim mothers wondering how to explain to their children that the new president is a man who had proposed requiring them to register with the government and called for a ban on people of their faith coming to the United States.

Such phrases as "with Liberty and Justice for All" and "All men are created equal and endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights." have been an ideal and motivating force for all humanity across the globe. As a citizen born in the US I stand by all humans to defend their unalienable rights and so should all humans. Do not suffer prejudice and hatred. Call it out for what it is.

" ... the burden of always looking out for terrorists must be lifted from our shoulders."

Wait--what? What burden is that, exactly?

The FBI has merely asked Muslims who notice any signs that members of their local mosques are becoming radicalized, to notify law enforcement.

How is this a "burden?"

No one should face discrimination based on their religion. But this hardly seems discriminatory to me.