Home | About | Donate

Muslim Countries Call For E. Jerusalem As Palestine Capital, Reject US As Honest Broker

Muslim Countries Call For E. Jerusalem As Palestine Capital, Reject US As Honest Broker

Juan Cole

Dude, the US was never an honest broker.

Worshippers chant as they hold Palestinian flags after Friday prayers on the compound known to Muslims as Noble Sanctuary and to Jews as Temple Mount in Jerusalem's Old City, as Palestinians call for a "day of rage" in response to President Donald Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital. (Photo: Ammar Awad/Reuters)

The EU should step into the void, and play the role of “Honest Broker.”

Then, when Israel refuses to come to the negotiating table because the process actually exists again and is no longer slanted in their favor, the world can just settle into the reality of a one-state solution in which Jews become a walled-off minority in their “Jewish State.”

Walls, you see, work two ways: They keep others out, and hem you in.

Did I say “Jewish State?” Oops, I meant “Jewish Apartheid State.” There, fixed it.

I’d argue that the US stopped being an “honest broker,” if it ever had been, when it covered up Israel’s deadly attack on the USS LIberty.

Honesty died with Duopoly rule decades ago.

Yet, they persevere.

How would the EU be more honest?

Did you notice those quotation marks?

I personally support Russia coming in as the “Honest Broker.”

They seem to have usurped the US as the true power the region. I recall Obama Administration functionaries stating that Russia’s involvement in Syria would turn into a quagmire. But in two years, Russia accomplished their mission and now they’re leaving.

Russia has big agreements for weapons, the use of air bases, and nuclear energy in Turkey and Egypt too, and King Salman of the KSA just paid Putin a visit. Russia looks like the benefactor to step in and rebuild Libya as well.

I think Russia would make the perfect arbitrator…I think they should keep a nuclear submarine parked off of Lebanon, you know, to keep everybody on their toes.