Home | About | Donate

My Guantánamo Diary, Uncensored

My Guantánamo Diary, Uncensored

Mohamedou Ould Slahi

"Who am I now, thanks to my lawyers, my family and friends, my publishers, and my readers, is a free man."

Activists outside the U.S. Supreme Court on Jan. 11, 2017 marking the 15th anniversary of the Guantanamo Bay prison.

I don’t understand: so it was first redacted, and now it isn’t? Why did the gov’t not have a say in censoring it this time?

Mohamedou Ould Slahi - Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am so happy for you that you were able to leave Satan and Hell behind. I look forward to reading your uncensored book.

Does Guantanamo represent the US government and the American people? Is so, the values we thought the US had and the rights and respect - really don’t exist. This is a national shame and disgrace which seems to be ignored by most Americans. I think the truth of Guantanamo is much worse than what has been told. The best use of Guantanamo at this time would be to hold American politicians who have allowed war crimes and other atrocities and for those politicians who have violated the principles of the constitution and human rights.

Perhaps, like Auschwitz and the other camps, Guantanamo should be turned into a museum, sometime in the future, if we can get a decent government in the US of A. The ACLU can do displays about what human rights we all have, and what ones were abrogated by Bush, Cheney, Obama, Trump, etc. I am so ashamed of my country: bases in other people’s countries, wars and intrusions and --just deformation of what we say we are.

Sorry-- I forgot that Guantanamo belongs to the Cuban people–not to U.S. So, maybe we could actually collaborate with them to open a museum showing the depths of human cruelty and injustice that took place there.