Home | About | Donate

Naomi Klein, Oliver Stone, Noam Chomsky, Others Condemn 'Coup' in Brazil

Naomi Klein, Oliver Stone, Noam Chomsky, Others Condemn 'Coup' in Brazil

Nika Knight, staff writer

Naomi Klein, Oliver Stone, Noam Chomsky, Susan Sarandon, Arundhati Roy, and 17 other human rights activists, intellectuals, and public figures on Wednesday sent a letter to the Brazilian government condemning the impeachment of the country's President Dilma Rousseff, and demanding that Brazil's senate "respect the October 2014 electoral process which over 100 million people took part in."

I'm conflicted about this situation.
It would appear that this impeachment has been conducted legally every step of the way.
It also seems that most Brazilians do not see it as a coup.
At the root of all of this is Petrobras, which every politician has used as their own personal piggy bank for 50 years.
Rousseff was no exception.

Temer, the new president, is "right-of-center."
So?
Isn't Hillary "right-of-center?"

Let's see, popularly elected leftist leader deposed by politicians being investigated for corruption.

U.S. doesn't protest.

So, how long will it be before we find out Victoria Nuland was involved?

This is a coup. The grounds for impeachment were conjured up. The problem is that criminals have the majority of the Federal Government. The nation may be heading back to a military dictatorship.

Actually, it doesn't appear as if Rousseff committed any crime at all:

The official reason for impeachment—that Rousseff improperly moved funds from a federal bank to cover cash-flow shortfalls in government programs (all the funds were repaid to the federal bank)—is a practice that Brazilian presidents have used in the past and is not a crime. Rousseff has not been accused of any personal enrichment or of being connected with Brazil’s widespread political corruption.

Source

I'm not so sure that a military dictatorship is waiting in the wings.
The people of Brazil don't think that this a coup so what you or I think really holds no water.
For years she was on the board of directors of Petrobras which was one of the most corrupt corporations in Brazil. When asked about the corruption she said she knew nothing about it.
She claims to be a Leftist, but treats workers like crap, indigenous people like the scum of the earth, and the LGBT community with distain.
Maybe karma finally got her?

Bullshit.

The Google translation is rough but I think you'll get the gist of it.

"The moral deficit of most scammer does not stem solely from the fact that almost 40 of them should be prevented from judging because they are accused or investigated for corruption and other crimes; but also because they act immorally and partially to condemn President. Promote an exception trial, unfair and fraudulent, in which false statements are incensed as inventors geniuses of a new series and legal and tax hermeneutics.

Moral lacks a parliament with a majority that drops a President who has committed no liability crime that does not respond to any inquiry and that is not a defendant in any legal proceedings. Moral lacks a converted Parliament in special court in which a majority circumstantial fascistamente imposes its majority status to usurp power trampling the Constitution and the law.

Morality, however, is one of the fatalities of this moment of fascist delirium that Brazil is through. But this is a mere detail, it makes no sense for the scammers who abastardam democracy."

https://www.brasil247.com/pt/colunistas/jefersonmiola/251944/Qual-%C3%A9-a-moral-desse-Senado-para-julgar-a-presidente.htm

Temer Convicted of Breaking Election Laws As Thousands March for Democracy in Brazil

Call It a 'Coup': Leaked Transcripts Detail How Elite Orchestrated Overthrow in Brazil

Paul Craig Roberts and Glenn Greenwald both believe this is likely a coup. Roberts additionally believes Washington is involved to keep Brazil from participating in BRICS, which will eventually cause the value of the dollar to fall as it loses its preeminence as the world reserve currency..

Here are a few interesting articles on this issue:

Washington Launches Its Attack Against BRICS - Dr Paul Craig Roberts - April 22, 2016

New Political Earthquake in Brazil: Is It Now Time for Media Outlets to Call This a “Coup”? - Glenn Greenwald - May 23, 2016

There Has Been A Coup In Brazil — Paul Craig Roberts - May 29, 2016

Glenn Greenwald on Rousseff's impeachment and the potential US involvement - June 3, 2016 - YouTube video

When a coup was staged to depose Chavez, the people came down in droves and demanded his restitution. Brazilians could follow that example.

Because Chomsky is an icon who is never to be doubted.
It's hero worship.

Obama has given corporate approval to the new regime. The World's greatest democracy isn't going to get all concerned over what voters say.

Every time we hold a general election in this country a coup takes place.

Now that's bullshit.

Probably because most people never question the rationale of LEV, since it seems, at first thought, to be common sense.

I am in the process of such questioning (although I've considered Trump a lesser evil); and, finally took the time to read the following four articles that specifically address this issue. Where that leaves me will take a few days to sort out, I imagine :relaxed:

Halle/Chomsky: An Eight Point Brief for LEV (Lesser Evil Voting) - June 15, 2016

No Lesser Evil, Not this Time - by Andrew Smolski - June 17, 2016

Noam Chomsky, John Halle and a Confederacy of Lampreys: a Note on Lesser Evil Voting - by Jeffrey St. Clair - June 29, 2016

To My Less-Evilism Haters: A Rejoinder to Halle and Chomsky - by Andrew Smolski - June 29, 2016

Speaking of coups ..

Published on Aug 26, 2016
Last week, Honduras's Supreme Court approved a change in the constitution allowing Presidential re-elections. Now this might not seem like such a big deal... but it is, largely
because it was the exact pretext for the 2009 coup against President Manuel Zelaya.

Youtube video from TeleSur:
Honduran Hypocrisy: Memories of a Coup

And guess who now benefits from the change?

If one believes that electing an exclusionary fascist (Nazi) to be president is just fine, then he probably is the lesser of two evils.

The United States?

I hadn't heard that. It's absolutely absurd. I remember Clinton crony Lanny Davis defending the coup regime after the Obama administration gave its blessing to it. That was a situation in which the US media really did a lousy job of covering what happened, and I was very glad that Democracy Now! at least gave it good coverage (though the media have a long track record of lousy reporting of events in Latin America, see Bush's invasion of Panama, for example).

The other thing that doesn't get much attention is the interference in the Haitian elections, but I guess that's par for the course. What the US has done to Haiti over the years is unforgivable, but it's not something that fires many people up.

Under the banner of " hope and change ", Barack the Obysmal " and " Smilen' Joe " Biden have used the votes and support of willfully ignorant people of color in the Democratic Party to destroy progressive movements and de-stabalize regions and emerging countries that are very wary, perhaps even hostile, to American and European financial and energy interests. This amoral and low-rent "slow walking " off democratic institutions and the death and destruction of million of ives around the world mean nothing to these Con Men. The Democratic Party and its members are really Crypto-Fascist Nut Cases. And, murdering mercenaries and paladins for the worst aspects of White Euro-centic Empire. They are a criminall enterprise for the global elite. Nothing more. Vote Green.

One can just as easily make the case that both Obama and Clinton, with their claims of "American Exceptionalism", are fascists (Nazi):

From: Dr. Paul Craig Roberts - Foreign policy and its impact on the American economy - @Time 44:04 - July 14, 2016

"The neoconservatives are a very powerful group. They have been after power for decades. They got it. They had it for a while in the Reagan administration. They produced the Iran Contra affair; and; they all got fired; and, prosecuted; and, sentenced.

But, they made a comeback with (Bill) Clinton, with Serbia, Yugoslavia, establishing these precedents that the United States can interfere in the sovereign affairs of other countries.

And, this is where the notion of American "indispensability", "exceptionalism" comes from. If you are the exceptional people, the exceptional country, that means that nobody else is exceptional; and, everybody else is dispensable.

These are claims that exceed the claims of Nazi Germany, about being the "ubermensch". These are more excessive claims, that the neoconservatives make for the United States, than the Nazis made for the Third Reich."