Home | About | Donate

Natalie Portman says, Enough!

Natalie Portman says, Enough!

Philip Weiss, James North

The Gaza killings have hurt Israel’s image in the world, and tonight the damage got even bigger. In an astonishing move, the Israeli-American film star Natalie Portman, 36, informed an Israeli foundation she would not show up at the awards ceremony for Israel’s equivalent of the Nobel Prize, because, as the JTA reports:

It’s high time for America’s Jews to take a position, as Ms. Portman has.

Are you, Pro-Slaughter, Totally Ignorant, or Willing to Condem the Nazi Inspired Zionists?

Are these the same “Jews around the world…” (many with dual citizenships) who have been pouring money into the Zionist apartheid entity known as “Israel” and more importantly have been buying up “liberal” and right-wing political parties around the parliamentary and “democratic” world?

While this is a noble gesture by the amazingly-talented Ms. Portman, it is going to take an admission that Zionism IS racism and acting on that statement to get real.

BDS!!!

As a Jewish American women myself, I salute Ms. Portman for her courage to speak out against the Israeli governments killing of innocents. It sickens me how my government has become the enabler of Israel’s genocide of the Palestinians. United States politicians are wholly owned by AIPAC, too many are allowed to serve when they have dual Israeli/ American citizenship. You can not serve two masters. They take an oath to represent their constituents at the same time they take a loyalty oath to Israel.

You go girl. It takes courage to make a stand in such insanity.

“uses her birthplace to advance her career”
Princess Amidala is a Zionist?!
It was news to me.

“My father was a writer. You would’ve liked him. He used to say that artists use lies to tell the truth, while politicians use them to cover the truth up.” - Evey Hammond, V for Vendetta

“Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn’t there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who’s to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you’re looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn’t be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense.”
― Alan Moore, V for Vendetta

…that was how I met Ruth. The first time we kissed, I knew I never wanted to kiss any other lips but hers again. We moved to a small flat in London together. She grew Scarlet Carsons for me in our window box, and our place always smelled of roses. Those were there best years of my life. But America’s war grew worse, and worse. And eventually came to London. After that there were no roses anymore. Not for anyone. I remember how the meaning of words began to change. How unfamiliar words like “collateral” and “rendition” became frightening. While things like Norse Fire and The Articles of Allegiance became powerful, I remember how different became dangerous. I still don’t understand it, why they hate us so much. They took Ruth while she was out buying food. I’ve never cried so hard in my life. It wasn’t long till they came for me. It seems strange that my life should end in such a terrible place, but for three years, I had roses, and apologized to no one. I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An Inch, it is small and it is fragile, but it is the only thing the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us. I hope that whoever you are, you escape this place. I hope that the world turns and that things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you. I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - Valerie, V for Vendetta

“Natalie, Israel are the good guys!”

Mmm hmmm. Just keep trying to convince yourselves and everyone else of that in the face of how you are treating Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza. The usual barrage of whataboutery and bald ipse dixit should do the trick.

One of the good Jews, God bless her.

Huh? I’m obtuse, I guess. Read that whole damn thing and left stupid feeling.

Donald Trump, America’s first “philo-Semitic Adolf Hitler.”
From the essay “Who goes Trump”

Well said.Ang you cannot be spuriously labeled as anti-Semitic as are gentiles that oppose obvious brutal racism

Well, Edmund, I’m sorry you felt stupid and Obtuse…all of my comment is from the 2005 film V For Vendetta , featuring Natalie Portman’s brilliant starring role in it.

The film references censorship, oppression, and brutality of the security state in a not far-off/distant (if at all) future; sate manipulation and suppression of the individual, society, communications,.and growing resistance to it by ordinary people, some/many who gain insight after being absorbed by the state propaganda, but come to see the truth, and one very much the enemy of such fascism that inspires and exposes truth…“V”.

It is even more relevant and important film today I highly recommend - if one is not too obtuse - and very much deserves a viewing. We are living in a world with many examples the film brings to the screen…and much that may take some simpatico depth…not to mention Portman’s stellar performance!

Get back to me when you have viewed V and let me know what you think then…

Alan Moore’s words are always cutting and brilliant. One of my all time favorite graphic novels (oh poo poo) and films. Wish Moore hadn’t pulled his name from the production but worked with the producers to make it even more than it was. So prescient. Natalie was brilliant as well.

“Natalie, Israel are the good guys!”

Who you gonna believe? Israel, or your lyin’ eyes?

One of the good Jews??? That is very offensive, and you are a bigot!

Enough? Well, sorta. Portman: “It’s Not BDS, It’s Netanyahu’”

Natalie is just straddling the fence (if even that, as her views have not changed–at all). Seems Portman’s only issue is with Nut-n-yahoo and his bluster.

Portman will likely still “receive” the $2 million prize, however, all that means is that the winner (2018, Portman) is allowed to select which charities this cash award will be donated to. (Portman has already selected Israeli charities. Meanwhile Palestinians in Gaza are drinking sewer water while Israelis fill backyard swimming pools with fresh, clean, filtered drinking water at homes constructed on stolen Palestinian farmlands that displaced old Palestinian men still hold keys to.)

Portman simply wants to make clear: she does not support BDS (boycott, divest, sanctions, against Israel) nor do we see her condemning Israel’s actions including the recent killings of unarmed Palestinian (last count, 40) protesters. In fairness Portman does mention “recent events” without any or much specificity.

A new statement released Friday and reported by The Hollywood Reporter, the Annihilation star sought to clarify her actions. “My decision not to attend the Genesis Prize ceremony has been mischaracterized by others,” she said. “Let me speak for myself.”

In her explanation, Portman says she didn’t want to give the impression that she supported the actions of Israel’s current government by attending, though she also notes she is not part of the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement currently calling for a boycott of Israel in support of Palestinians. “I chose not to attend because I did not want to appear as endorsing Benjamin Netanyahu, who was to be giving a speech at the ceremony,” said the actress. “Like many Israelis and Jews around the world, I can be critical of the leadership in Israel without wanting to boycott the entire nation.” In lieu of attending, Portman says she will throw her support behind “a number of charities in Israel.”

Edited to add:
Well, it appears Portman is being sanctioned herself, just ran across this in JP: Natalie Portman will no longer get to choose where her $2 million Genesis Prize will be donated after saying she will not travel to Israel to receive the award.

Instead, the Genesis Prize Foundation will decide where the money goes.

Agreed. People are congratulating her for taking a stand, but this article indicates she didn’t even refer to the killing in her not-so-public denouncement. In addition, she is still not taking a position on BDS, settlements, crimes against humanity, etc.

You mean Communist inspired Zionists.

https://www.haaretz.com/1.4904990

Agreed. I just watched it again recently. One thing that is ominous about the film - it’s storyline features a near future scenario of the United States being in a state of civil war. When the movie first came out I thought that might be a bit of a stretch. However, now, especially with Trump and his fellow fascists I am not so sure anymore. The U.S. seems to be tearing itself to pieces from within.