Home | About | Donate

Nation Ready to Finally End 'Detrimental and Deeply Unjust' Hyde Amendment

Nation Ready to Finally End 'Detrimental and Deeply Unjust' Hyde Amendment

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Reproductive rights advocates nationwide are taking part in a week of action against the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits federal funding for abortion services and particularly hurts low-income women and women of color.

Lets face it, the "Hyde Amendment" was Always Unconstitutional.

It violates our Freedom FROM Religion.

The fact that it is called the "Hyde" amendment is just one of life's little Ironies for those who immediately flash to "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" instead of Senator Hyde.

For reasons of consistency I am opposed to abortion, the death penalty, and war.
But I do support a women's right of choice.

There was always a class war aspect of the "pro-life" position that doesn't get acknowledged. Of course we know that without government funding abortion is restricted for poor people. However the middle class and above can always pull out their credit card, fly to whatever country provides abortions and be back home in a few days. Yes, it might cost them for airfare, hotel and abortion fees but they still have it available to them. In the meantime the restrictions on the poor help to keep them poor.

Peace
Po

Not one still subject to a Hyde amendment to the federal budget. In fact, it would expand the blockage of abortion coverage.

Thanks for the history and the heads-up to the anniversary. For one thing, I'm going to start referring to "A Hyde amendment, since it has to be made new each year. How have we not stopped it any of these 40 years? It should take no more than the stats on what an unwanted labor and delivery costs in Medicaid $$, and the further tax $$ in SNAP, possibly for life. Since $$ are the language that "conservatives" speak (and religious scruples have no place in legislative debate), it seems pretty easy to make the case for Medicaid funding for abortion as a simple question of efficiency.

I agree with @ UnclePo (good point), and @Imhotep, Single-Payer health care would definitely help.

And of course, provide birth control, sex education, and more social services, This will help reduce the number of abortions.

Lots of flagging. Must have hit a few sore spots?
Is that anyway to run a railroad?

Single-payer in itself is not sufficient to provide abortion access. Canada has single payer but there are many areas where abortions are impossible to get as the local health facilities either don't do them at all or are highly selective about who gets one.