Home | About | Donate

National Class-Action Lawsuit Aims to Stop Trump From Tearing Children Away From Asylum-Seeking Parents

National Class-Action Lawsuit Aims to Stop Trump From Tearing Children Away From Asylum-Seeking Parents

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

The ACLU on Friday filed a national class-action lawsuit challenging the Trump administration's practice of "forcibly separating" asylum-seeking young children from their parents on behalf of "hundreds of individuals whose minor children have already been taken from them."

She left the Congo quickly with the help of a Catholic Church there because she was in danger. She did not enter the U.S. at an airport and she was never in the U.S. illegally as you pretend. She presented herself at the border and asked for asylum.

She has done nothing illegal whatsoever. The problem is the Trump administration has done something illegal by separating her from her child for all these months. The ACLU brought a suit on her behalf to enforce immigration laws. I thought you were supposed to favor immigration laws being enforced.

I guarantee the opposite. She was in custody from the time she legally presented herself at the border until a couple of days ago when the ACLU was able to secure her release.

Actually it was. It said that in the law suit that was linked from the original article in CD. This article is just about the ACLU petitioning the court to establish a class of of aggrieved people to allow for a later class action suit. But it also links to the information you didn’t read.

The best coverage of this case has probably been by Chicago Tribune columnist Rex Huppke.
She is a 39 year old Catholic woman who originally took refuge in a church in the Congo. The Church facilitated her escape from the Congo which went through Mexico and the U.S. border she sought asylum at was the San Ysidro crossing in Tijuana. Now that she has been released, the ACLU has arranged for her housing so she has a residence available for her daughter to be reunited with her.

Small details about her case are not public information because she is seeking asylum and, if that isn’t granted, she would be in greater danger in the Congo if the government there knew who she was.

This woman’s plight is not taking away from our helping homeless veterans or improving education. And we are not being “flooded” with “illegals” at all - in fact the opposite is true. The peak number of illegal immigrants was about 12.2 million back in 2007. It is now at 10.9 million - more than a 10% reduction (figures from Department of Homeland Security and Pew Research Center).

You can tell by the Trump Pinatas in Mexico that he has a very negative reputation there.
Trump pinatas in mexico:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=trump+pinatas+in+mexico&qpvt=Trump+Pinatas+in+Mexico&FORM=IGRE

Those are the paper mache dolls that they hang up to be hit by a stick at birthday parties.
I definitely think someone should be selling those in America.

There are 1.2 million undocumented immigrants living in one Southern California metropolitan area, in the same area there are 55,000 homeless living on the streets. How does one not affect the other?

The rate of homelessness in Southern California doesn’t make the top ten nationally. The highest rate of homelessness in the country is in the Springfield, MA metro area (five times the rate of LA and 7 times the rate for San Diego) but they have very few undocumented immigrants. The second highest rate of homelessness is in Honolulu (3.5 times the rate for LA and 5 times the rate for San Diego) and again their undocumented immigrant rate is pretty low.
Importantly, the timing doesn’t correlate - you don’t see increases in one go with increases inn the other (for example homelessness in Southern California increased after the undocumented population went down a bit - not the other way around).

Bottom line - where is there any evidence for a relationship?

Ok, the total population of Springfield MA is considerably less than just the undocumented immigrants in my example. There has been a sixteen percent reduction in Springfield by revised social services. In my example those same services are already deficient. You could compare services but in SC there are waiting lists for years for the same services.

What time line are you using?

Before there is immigration these determinations should have been made, not after, and certainly not ten years after. Even if you just use a total number or residents that impact social and other environmental concerns the correlation is obvious. There are lower standards of living in several areas. Of course that changes over time and distribution so there are positive and negative. I don’t mean to dwell on the negative but neither will I pretend it doesn’t exist. Additionally, there are and always have been programs designed to meet those needs from the early Braceros programs and many others… Immigration is morphing into big business and criminal enterprise.

So I gather your argument is that both the homeless and undocumented immigrant s (because they are generally poor) compete for the same social services and for low-cost housing.

My main objection to this is that I certainly don’t believe in blaming the poor for homelessness.

The three states with the biggest increases in homelessness the last ten years (HUD data) are South Dakota (85% increase), Wyoming (60% increase), and North Dakota (45% increase) - where are the undocumented immigrants to blame there? Where are there regulations to blame there? What services to undocumented immigrants do those states provide?
They are states with very small undocumented populations. They are states with a poor infrastructure and almost a complete lack of regulations. They are states with laws providing nothing to undocumented immigrants (e.g. no driver’s license, no in-state tuition, no work permits, etc…).

Well no not exactly. I’m saying that it is a broken system. Undocumented are not eligible for a lot of social services but they do have an impact. There is not enough housing and not enough low income housing and that is a changing demographic that does not improve with time. It just puts social pressures on a different demographic. There are increases in homeless everywhere but CA has the largest immigrant population and the largest undocumented immigrant population. We spend more than than any other state on immigration services. Way more. I’m not blaming anyone for being poor. My mother use to teach migrant children and did everything she could to help them, way more than most people at that time. I would suggest strengthening guestworker programs that are not subverted for profit, just as I would advocate for a living wage. Or, a differential plan that actually has a benefit instead of rearranging the chairs in a broken system. Or, hell just follow the rules there are some very good and protective policies that work if they are followed. There is enough blame to go around but there needs to be a better plan. Maybe have immigrants contract to operate homeless shelters and permanent housing. It shouldn’t be like refugee camps that are meant to be temporary shelter and end up being long term housing. It terms of environmental degradation, that is permanent there is no fixing it.

Well, I certainly agree that the system is broken and that underlies social problems of all types. Why have we built mega cities in Las Vegas, Phoenix, and parts of Southern California when there is no water to sustain them - or in flood zones in Houston? It certainly wasn’t the poor that made the decisions leading to that.

So I agree - let’s look at the choices of bankers and developers and politicians trying to make a killing - instead of the poor (migrant or native) trying to make a living.

I agree but I think we have to look at the choices all people are making, migrants and natives included.