Home | About | Donate

National Law Enforcement Telecommunication System (Nlets) Suppressed My Vote

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/09/30/national-law-enforcement-telecommunication-system-nlets-suppressed-my-vote

1 Like

I would be furious too. This sort of obscene bureaucratic crap happens all too often, and with real life consequences and pain.

“Presumed innocent until proven guilty.”

What a funny, strange assertion.

2 Likes

What I’ve experienced, in the US, is “guilty until proven innocent.” I had a court ruling against me due to a flag of a past infraction. When I went to get proof that it was in error, I found that the original records no longer exist. So, since I wasn’t able to prove my innocence, and a flag exists, the ruling was, in summary:

All accused have a bias to falsely assert innocence but government records are held to a high degree of professionalism, so anyone who is flagged, and cannot prove their innocence, is guilty.

2 Likes

That’s an awful story and I feel a lot of compassion for Mr. Canton’s frustration.
This doesn’t always work, but one of my options in situations like his where it seems like a hellish black hole of non-productivity . . . my option is to call my state and US legislators, preferably the Democratic ones if you have them. They often have special caseworkers to escalate solutions to situations like this. It’s worked for me a number of times, although I will say that the Democrats are usually far more responsive to average constituents. In Mr. Canton’s case, I would have larded my story well with the emphasis on my temporary and unfair disenfranchisement.

1 Like

Thus far, the courts have been protecting rights that republicans are trying to deny us.
As the worm turns will we revolt?

1 Like