Home | About | Donate

Nearly 200 Dems Sue Trump for Placing 'Personal Interest Over National Interest'

Nearly 200 Dems Sue Trump for Placing 'Personal Interest Over National Interest'

Jake Johnson, staff writer

In the latest bid to hold Donald Trump to account for refusing to sufficiently distance himself from his business empire, nearly 200 congressional Democrats filed a lawsuit (pdf) on Wednesday alleging the president has "repeatedly and flagrantly" violated the Constitution's emoluments clause.

What you mean-um "may", Kemo Sabé?  Sounds like Treason to me!

Tweetle-Dumb's profiteering makes Benedict Arnold look like a two-bit Wall Street bankster by comparison, and that's not even counting the questionable deals being done with China et al by his daughter & son-in-law – who are not just family but officially part of his administration.

They HANG Traitors, Don't They??

It seems notably absent from the list of plaintiffs is the timid political weasel "Chuck" Schumer....why? Also absent are Diane Feinstein, Bob Menendez, Tim Kaine, Manchin - all predictable sellouts......

Um, because they are republicans in wolf's clothing.

Didn't notice Schumer, but I just wrote to Menendez (my Senator) and my Member of the House, Josh Gottheimer, and asked them,

Why do I not see your name on the lawsuit filed today by 196 of your fellow legislators to demand the President comply with the emoluments clause of the Constitution? I'm not one for broad-brush opposition, but this is a very specific and very significant issue. Please consider joining the effort.

If your MOCs aren't on the list, ask them why not. That has at least a tiny chance of being effective. Declaring your dissatisfaction (let alone snarky characterizations) here has zero.

The Most Corrupt Administration in the History of America.

Ya Think?

...his actions as President reflect only his beliefs about what is best for the country, or whether they are partly motivated by personal financial considerations.

"Partly motivated?" A more fitting term is WHOLLY motivated by personal financial considerations. The emperor does not listen, learn, consider, reflect, or care about anything in his life beyond himself and building the "bigliest, most tremendous and amazing" pile of money ever by a president (sound familiar?). And as for the demented dimwits "beliefs," his actions to date fully demonstrate just how self-serving, cruel and inhumane his "beliefs" are. He is quick to lay blame (and exert revenge) and take undeserved credit laced with boastful, unsubstantiated, and outright false proclamations.

Boy, Kasowitz is going to have to hire a boatload more of paralegals and partnering attorneys! His "Nero" will lend nothing of benefit to his case short of blathering, excoriating tweets made in the pre-dawn hours.

Of course it is for Donald Trump but he believes and so does his family and associate believe what is good for them is good for the US.

Where is all the evidence, proof positive? Otherwise hopefully this is not on the taxpayer dime and time. We need his tax records and I guess we need more laws to protect the people and nation from sycophants like Trump Family & Associates. It should not be so hard to prove. Why isn't a law that President provide financials? Why isn't it a law that anyone with lawsuits against them cannot run for any office in the nation? Why isn't it a law that the likes of people like Newt G who was charged with?? and he is still look to by our corporate media. Why do we allow a corporate media? ownership of media in the hands of a few billionaire who control what Americans injest as information.

I should of answered my own question? Because politicians allow this and we have complacent, uniformed, comfy Americans/consumers who buy into all the nothing ness who are most of my friends.

Actually, since the suit is against him "as President," I think he could get a way with McCahn handling this. Of course, McCahn hasn't been seen as doing much, or wanting to.

Article 1 Sec.2 "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.
Article1 Sec.3 The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.
* Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgement and Punishment according to Law.
Article 2 Sec.2 ... and he [the President] shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.
Article 2 Sec.4 The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

• My main concern here is that, though the writers of the Constitution tried to set up a method for dealing with the above, will it be possible to get the House, which consists mainly of millionaires and billionaires who owe their souls to the "Company Store," to indict one of their own, and can we count on finding 67 out of 100 millionaires, billionaires and a few trillionaires in the US Senate who would convict one of their own?
  • Any way you look at it, actual justice has a rough row to hoe.
    ;-})

As I understand it, that's exactly why these legislators are bringing suit, because the House leaders would not do their duty to the nation.

Also MIA was our erstwhile progressive stalwart from Ohio, Sen. Sherrod Brown. For him this is not an aberration, but more of a pattern.

McGahn should be getting out when the "getting is good." Any alliance with DJT is rapidly becoming extremely deleterious and toxic to his "loyalists."

Emphyrio's characterization of those corporate servicing Democrats' having not signed onto this list as being predictable, is completely valid.

Ultimately those Democratic legislators are beholden to individual wealth and corporate power, more than they are beholden to any Constitutional limit on such.

Congratulations on your letter writing. You truly are an example to all of us.

Cluck.

Representative Government is working exactly the way our oligarch forefathers intended.

Direct Democracy

Our conservative regime has millions of deaths, many failed states with mass immigration, trillions in war debt and bailouts at home and endless wars to go to catch up to the Bush Regime as the most corrupt in history. But give it time.

Direct Democracy

Of course Trump is putting personal interest above any other. Does anyone in America really doubt that?

That said, I wonder how many of the suing Democrats are engaging in hypocrisy here. How many times has each one sold out public / national interest because it's what a donor wanted? Or, more likely still, how many of the D's who didn't sign on were unable to on those grounds?

John Dewey wrote about such selling out, way back in 1931... arguing it was time for a new party. https://newrepublic.com/article/104638/the-need-new-party Things have only gotten worse over the ensuing 85+ years.

Come next year, when every Congress member will be up for re-election and a number of Republican members are sinking in the polls, the nation could experience a drive by the GOP to rid themselves of Trump and install Pence as president before the midterm election. Pence, the bigger danger between the two, acts and appears to be presidential, and the GOP actually gets credit for impeaching Trump. They sweep the midterms, and go on to capture the presidency in 2020 and 2024.

There are definitely scenarios where the GOP will impeach Trump, and every one of them ends up with Pence as president. The thing I hate most about Trump and the GOP right now is they have put me, a hard lefty, in the position of standing against Trump's impeachment, which can only be characterized as out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I'm amazed by the reaction of US cities and mayors who have committed to real climate action now that Trump pulled us out of the Paris Accord. It appears the country has decided to move forward on this front without Trump, something it was unable to do before Trump's ridiculous statements on climate.

It's been reported that Trump's behavior and statements abroad, especially concerning NATO, have resulted in some European leaders saying they will just have to spend more on their militaries since the US appears to be reneging. That's good news for the US budget.

Trump is so unhinged that his policies actually create unintended benefits for We the People. As long as Trump is president, people will also continue to resist and build power. Pence would not make these mistakes. The people would just be totally screwed, because Pence knows how to use the levers of power to keep people divided while delivering the fruits of our labor to the 1%.

The fact is the US needs to be knocked down a peg or two, and it appears Trump is unintentionally fulfilling that role. Although it's miserable watching his presidency unfold, you can bet that Pence will be ten times worse when it actually comes to accomplishing policy objectives, which are much further right than Trump's. Trump is just a run of the mill fascist, a rube for Pence and his practiced, polished, and poisioned ilk, who have been waiting in the wings for a very long time.

I've posted this link before; here it is again: http://newdeal.feri.org/wallace/haw23.htm, because this prescient document written by FDR"s former VP Henry A. Wallace in 1944 is spot on. My main objective as a US citizen is to avoid being played by Pence and his buddies in the deep state as they try to lead us down a fascist rabbit-hole. Trump himself may be our best defense against full blown fascism taking root in the US. His presidency has been a catalyst for a tangible resistance and real movement building that just didn't exist before Trump's election.

Shit doesn't have to run downhill, we can keep it trapped in the White House and then flush it away in 2020.

Hypocrisy much?