Home | About | Donate

Nearly 200 Groups in Canada Vow to Fight for Covid-19 Recovery That Puts Human and Ecological Health First

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/25/nearly-200-groups-canada-vow-fight-covid-19-recovery-puts-human-and-ecological

4 Likes

and I’m sure this will all go absolutely nowhere, like each of these “movements” seem to do.

what’s that expression? yeah, if the only tool you have is a hammer…

6 Likes

Money, the decision-making apparatus, has to be redefined in order to achieve Progress. Externalities have to be expunged. The billionaires must feel pain in their balance sheets. There is no other way. They will fight effectively. Will we?

4 Likes

Add our Green New Deal to Canada’s “Just Recovery” to bring the people of the world together to forming a huge people’s front against the Sociopathic Neoconservatives and their billionaire parasites.

4 Likes

So what do you propose other than bitching all the time?

2 Likes

There are three covid-19 standards:

• Your state or your country got rid of it, except for foreigners showing up at the airport with it. New Zealand is clean. Australia is something like 3 new cases per day. Montana, Alaska, Hawaii and Vermont are down there in the 3 new cases per day category, so yes U.S. states can do this.

• At least your state or country got the numbers down by a factor of, say, 5 or 10.

• Your state or country is at or near the top of its pandemic today, and somebody’s love of money and cheapening of poor people’s lives means that your politicians are now going to kill off huge numbers of older veterans, many of whom have comorbid problems. No they’re not even close to telling you the truth, and yes they come from two parties.

5 Likes

the same dozen things I’ve always proposed that you’re too lazy to recall or look up. And I’m not your personal encyclopedia of everything I’ve ever posted. My point in saying these things is to help people start thinking about their own possibilities in their own ways. And for those of you who simply challenge everyone else to draw them pictures, the reality is that you’re fine with the way things are but not brave enough to admit it.

4 Likes

Seeing as how overpopulation is the basis of most of human and ecological problems, will they fund Planned Parenthood Internationally? Or have they been so beat up about that they won’t dare to?

3 Likes

… and I feel the same way about the climate catastrophe. We can easily, quite easily, turn to houses that 90% heat and cool themselves, to 99% renewable electricity including after-sunset solar-based electricity, to 90% less lifetime energy use with transit. We can stop the Arctic meltdown at a minimal economic and ecological cost, remembering that the Arctic meltdown alone can bring on worldwide agricultural disaster in time.

I heard someone describe our world’s political system as mainly corporate feudalism tending in the direction of monopoly. Maybe that has something to do with our plunging toward a long-lasting worldwide agricultural problem.

We need to fix something else, maybe. Democracy was an invention, first cobbled together in Amerigo’s land because England was far away and groups of farmers had collective needs. In time famous but rather unlettered men such as Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson tried this and that. Some things worked.

Maybe we the people, whoever that is, must re-invent our popular control of common needs. It can be done. To do so we have to practice it, in small groups.

3 Likes

I wonder if they ever filled the 4,000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire.

We have “money for hope, money for dope, money for rope.” Lennon: “Gimme some truth”
But in America no money for M4ALL

1 Like

It depends on who your leaders are. Out premier has asked us BCers how we envision our future path towards sustainability and equity. While the NDP have a minority government backed by the Green Party members of the legislative assembly, if we do it right, we may actually achieve those standards or close to. Add to the equation that BC is now a province whose parties are supported by citizen donations only - no corporate or union funding - as is true in most provinces now (minus Alberta with limited donations and Newfoundland/Labrador with no limits from those entities). Federally, our government is funded only by citizens (with a few sleazy illegal backroom deals, especially with our two main parties). There is also a minority government federally, backed by the NDP, Greens and most of the Bloc Quebecois. It is these smaller parties that have power because if the Trudeau Liberals lose their support, it usually ends in a non-confidence vote in parliament which leads to an election to obtain the backing of the citizenry or a change in leadership.

4 Likes

Most Western countries support Planned Parenthood and abortions. The US is pretty much an outlier in this view of healthcare.

2 Likes

Miserable people work for less, a lot less and if pushed far enough just for crumbs to stay alive. My point is that the elite planners know the poor like to have more babies so they promote higher birth rates to man the military and work at walmarts and MacDonalds of the world. The GOP which represents the wealthy has no regard or care for human life especially that of the poor. Opposing planned parenting is just to create cheap labor.

4 Likes

If 200 groups made this list of demands I wonder why this never translates over to support for the Green Party.

While they got 16 percent of the vote here in BC the last election , that no where near enough if we want to move towards this direction. At the Federal level the Greens need yet more support. Perhaps these groups have to start advocating that people vote Green but this would then be deemed “Political advocacy” and run into problems with campaign finance laws.

20 or thirty Green Members in Parliament will help us in this direction. Voting liberal and trying to hold their feet to the fire with announcements like this will not.

3 Likes

“Put people’s health and well-being first, no exceptions. Health is a human right and is interdependent with the health and well-being of ecological systems.”

In those ecological systems does that include the well-being of animals in factory farms i wonder. (ie: abolition of factory farms.)

1 Like

Very good of you, Paul, to emphasize the positive examples to emulate! I’m chagrined, devastated that my state of California, the largest in the union, looks headed for much worse days in this, like the rest of the country. I’m accustomed to thinking of state numbers a little like our crooked electoral shenanigans: You know it’s going to be messed with, but if enough people (maybe twice as many) vote against the grain, the election gets more and more difficult to steal.

Widespread accounts document COVID-19 reporting shenanigans in Texas, Florida, Georgia, and elsewhere. I believe I can even read a messed with pattern in the new-cases charts of various states: When it gets just unbelievably jaggeddy, most likely someone’s been cooking the books. But as southerners keep dropping dead, there are only so many mass-graves they can dig without anyone noticing.

It’s a consistent pattern with the reporting of plagues all over the world, throughout history. Usually, the initial failure of various countries to understand the relevance of accurate public-health numbers finally dawns on them, and they come around to more accurate practices eventually. I sure hope that trend toward accuracy holds, as the other path leads to utter helplessness in our struggle to cope with this microbe.

1 Like

They are not close to telling you the truth…I don’t follow what you are trying to say.

The way @PaulK relates the status of New Zealand, Australia, Montana, Alaska, Hawaii, and Vermont sounds totally accurate to me. There are countries and states in this world which understand good public-health practices, which include somewhat accurate reporting.

Keep in mind: An absolute refusal to accept the partial validity of any information from anywhere, while not proposing any route to more accurate information, is simply textbook anti-science denialism.

1 Like

These are wonderful ideas and I would love to be a part of what is being proposed. What concerns me most is finding common ground with people with whom I strenuously disagree. If we don’t work on that everyday in our interactions with folks (and I’m talking about genuine positive regard), I fear the hate and anger in this country is going to explode in gun violence.

2 Likes

$2,000/month EVERY MONTH! So, when the Covid is under control and Canadians (and many others) go back to “work”, they start from no bills, no healthcare bills or medical bankruptcies and rent, utilities, mortgages and decent food - all paid-up! Us 140,000,000 Poor in America? Finally get the fact! ??? The suits in U.S. & transnational corporate gangs like Shell, B of A - i.e. insurance, banks, food - we can go on ad nauseam - are raking in a windfall! So, they (I prefer the pronoun “it”) - so, “it” knows that we American poor will die in groves! If we are not careful, we will! So, what are we Poor capable of doing, non-violently? Stay in place. #StayAlive. Organize. Don’t believe the lies! @UniteThePoor will be in D.C., virtually, June 20, 2020! POOR PEOPLE ROCK!

2 Likes