Home | About | Donate

Nearly 700 Protests Planned for Saturday at Post Offices Across Country as DeJoy Slammed for Defense of Mail Sabotage

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/21/nearly-700-protests-planned-saturday-post-offices-across-country-dejoy-slammed

3 Likes

“From the most remote village in the Alaskan tundra to the tiniest island in the Everglades, there’s one connection we’ve always depended on: the mail.”

Very, very true! Some places in Alaska are so remote they only receive mail once a week by bush plane, but that mail is a lifeline for many, especially people who rely on their medications.

11 Likes

Parts of this from a great earlier post by @montag2

" Lessee here… the post office expects, because of unusual circumstances (the virus) a significant increase in mail volume (Virus-safe mail-in voting).

At precisely the same time that this expectation is firming up,
a) the nominal Prez is shouting on Twitter that voting by mail is a giant fraud, (and does all he can to sabotage mail-in voting as well as in-person voting)
b) the Postmaster General is ordering slowdowns in delivery,
c) the Postmaster General orders the destruction of automated mail sorting machines which, by definition, are labor-saving devices which increase efficiency and speed of operation and,
d) removes thousands of points of access (stationary mailboxes) to the postal system, making it more difficult for people to use the mail.- (not to mention 14 Million dependent on USPS for medicine) But,
e) Mr. DeJoy claims in sworn testimony before Congress all this stuff was unnecessary."

It seems clear enough to me that DeJoy lied to Congress under oath swearing that - " The machines are not needed" even tho DeJoy himself confirmed that there have been significant service slowdowns" at least partially due to sorting machine being scrapped and other clearly political actions by DeJoy! “It makes no sense at all for him to say USPS sorting machine ‘are not needed.’ - Put them back.” (something he said he will not do)

Sorting machines are “the workhorse for processing letter mail. Without these machines, we’re not able to get that mail sorted efficiently and reliably.” - USPS worker

See you tomorrow **Saturday, August 22, at 11 a.m. ( local time)**at your local USPS facility.

nearest demo location found by zip code here: ~https://www.savethepostoffice.net/event/save-the-post-office/search/

13 Likes

I don’t live too far from the route of the “mail by pail” JW Westcott II mail (and sundries) boat that plies the Detroit River delivering mail by rope and bucket to Great Lakes freighters. It’s the only moving zip code in the USA. You want mail a kiss to your sweetie on a freighter, hit them up at:

Vessel Name , Marine Post Office, Detroit, Michigan, 48222

Fuck Trump. And fuck the d-party for not securing the USPS sooner – Obama talked about privatizing it, dammit. It’s a constitutionally mandated national treasure.

~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._W._Westcott_II

16 Likes

After ten “least worst voting” cycles from 1980 on, we have plumbed the very bottom of the barrel — and now with this coming 11th “least worst voting” cycle coming up we will have to bludgeon through the bottom of the barrel and dig in the muck between these two earth-worms between an insane “Empire-thinking” Emperor sitting in ‘our’ White House — what are we crazy?, — no, but he is; megalomaniac, narcissist, sociopath, projection, paranoia, and every mental condition in DSM-5, and the secodn choice of a gutless center-left foggy Joe – of whom Texas radical left Jim Hightower would say, “The only things in the center of the road are yellow stripes, dead armadillos, and 'ol Joe Byeden”.

What an effin choice, eh??

Andall the supposed progressive web-sites are just chasing the dozens of stupid little “Issues” — like sparring about the effin Mail — instead of focusing like an effin LASER of the effin EMPIRE that is the actual meta-causal cancer behind all the stupid little ‘issues’, larger, but still subordinate ‘symptom problems’ and ignoring what Zygmunt Bauman calls our “entire ailing social order” — of being an EMPIRE.

There can absolutely never be any compromise with the Empire — this eight-sectored Disguised Global Crony Capitalist Empire, which is only nominally HQed in, and merely ‘posing’ as our formerly “promising” and sometimes progressive country (PKA) America.

Faux-Emperor Trump is merely a nasty Chucky-doll puppet as the installed “rougher-talking” neocon ‘R’ Vichy party of the Empire — while Bye Bye Byeden and the “smoother-lying” neoliberal con ‘D’ Vichy Party of the exact same Empire is auditioning for the ‘role’ of faux president.

The Disguised Global Crony Capitalist Empire is an eight-sectored Empire!

“The U.S. state is a key point of condensation for pressures from dominant groups around the world to resolve problems of global capitalism and to secure the legitimacy of the system overall. In this regard, “U.S.” imperialism refers to the use by transnational elites of the U.S. state apparatus (hard & soft powers) to continue to attempt to expand, defend, and stabilize the global capitalist system. We are witness less to a “U.S.” imperialism per se than to a global capitalist imperialism.

We face an EMPIRE OF GLOBAL CAPITAL, headquartered, for evident historical reasons, in Washington.” [Caps added]

Global Capitalism and the Crisis of Humanity, 2014 Robinson, William Cambridge University Press

“Show me what democracy looks like”
“This ain’t what democracy looks like”
“This is what EMPIRE looks like”

6 Likes

Trump, Moscow Mitch, DeJoy or any other member of the world’s biggest organized crime syndicate “promising” anything plus three bucks buys a cup of coffee.

4 Likes

Hi raydeIcamino:
And in this mornings news. Mr, DeJoy said he had nothing to do with the changes and that he didn’t speak with Trump…Maybe Trump sent him a tweet------oh wait , even betterTrump sent him a Ietter. : )

2 Likes

Because I was a daughter of the USPS family, I got a ride on the J W WESCOTT years ago. This is a lifeline for all who sail the Great Lakes, whether those who work on the Lakers or on the ocean ships. Internet connections are wonky, not to mention cell phones and Wi-Fi. The mail is the only reliable communication that these men and women have with their family, friends, and outside world. One thing newspapers jumped the shark on was to go digital; these folks depended on print newspapers for their hometown news.
Next up on the chopping block-the National Weather Service. Word is out in the specialized offices such as Storm Prediction Center and Hurricane Forecast Center. And TrumpCo along with the GOP and Economic Libertarians are all salivating at that lovely donation money coming from The Weather Channel and Accuweather. That We The People will have to pay for watches and warnings, fire forecasts, and other lifesaving information.

11 Likes

My friend and I will joining the protests in support of the USPS at a local post office tomorrow. I encourage others to do the same!

7 Likes

It’s getting super tricky to predict these storms anymore anywho. Might as well flip a coin, I suppose (or a sharpie). The scuttlebut is that Laura (what the “L”? – the earliest in Atlantic history) and her buddy (Mephisto?) might have a tryst in the Gulf next week (a fyrst!) They might tango and destroy each other over the water, or else cook up something unexpectedly fierce for Texas and Louisiana. Hopefully someone’s keeping track.

Weather Underground (home of Masters and Henson) unexpectedly vanished a little bit ago – I have no idea what the story is there. Those hard-core meteorological gurus may now be found at Yale Climate Connections “Eye on the Storm” (such as the following, from Jeff):

When two tropical cyclones approach within about 900 miles of each other, they tend to rotate counter-clockwise around a common center, then go their separate ways, in a process called the Fujiwara effect. In rare cases they may merge into one storm, but the resulting storm will not be stronger than either of the original two storms, since wind shear from each weakens the other. More commonly, when two storms interact, one will weaken or destroy the other with its wind shear, just as Hurricane Wilma did to Tropical Storm Alpha in 2005.

~https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2020/08/tropical-storm-laura-and-tropical-depression-14-predicted-to-converge-in-gulf-of-mexico/

4 Likes

Fun body of water for boating. Awesome to be close up to those big ships.
Just don’t start singing The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
Once you start, you sing it for hours on end!

As for those private weather forecast services, hell, they get their 411 from Uncle Sam.

2 Likes

The prez: I don’t like the way that lady drives her car safely home every day after work.
Somebody get over there and take her car. If that won’t work, at least flatten her tires.
“I can do anything I want, I’m the president.”

1 Like

The next sane regime will nullify all of this trump garbage, and hopefully send a message that, “don’t bother ever trying these anti-American crap things again.”

1 Like

“The Postal Service shall have as its basic function the obligation to provide postal services to bind the
Nation together through the personal, educational, literary, and business correspondence of the
people. It shall provide prompt, reliable, and efficient services to patrons in all areas and shall render
postal services to all communities.”

“Motto” of the Postal Service, Two Postal Tributes Chiseled in Stone:

“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of
their appointed rounds.”

“Messenger of Sympathy and Love
Servant of Parted Friends
Consoler of the Lonely
Bond of the Scattered Family
Enlarger of the Common Life
Carrier of News and Knowledge
Instrument of Trade and Industry
Promoter of Mutual Acquaintance
Of Peace and of Goodwill Among Men and Nations.”

7 Likes

They are keeping the comment section going on Disqus until they can make some needed changes on YCC’s comment format. Love those long time commenters that are in the threads that follow posts by Masters and Henson . . . . especially now that they are getting better about shutting down AGW denier trolls.

Jeff Masters and Bob Henson are great!

And it’s Marco : )
I was rooting for a trajectory toward Mar-a-lago

3 Likes

I was in the center of the two predicted tracks of these storms, being so far out, the tracks are not very reliable. And sure enough, just a few min. ago the tracks have both shifted further west. This mornings forecast also had them making landfall 24-48 hours apart, now that’s changed to about 10-15 hours apart. Until both storms enter the Gulf, track predictions and landfall times are unreliable, and even then things can change. Wish we could send some of this tropical moisture your way.

1 Like

The Canadian experience is not encouraging in this regard. Part of the problem
is that much of the damage done by neocons/neolibs is difficult or impossible
to undo: environmental destruction, break-up of agencies, privatization.

And an all-too-common problem is lack of will. In Ontario, a Liberal government
was elected in 2003 on the seeming promise of being anti-Conservatives who
would reverse a lot of stuff ruined in the previous eight years. But it turned out
they were just ‘not’ Conservative thugs; they generally didn’t make things worse,
but they failed to reverse the damage.

A classic example that did seem to work was post-war Britain, where Conservative
governments shut down/sold off industries and cut social services/benefits,
followed by Labour governments that renationalized and increased benefits.
But Labour steam fizzled in the late 1970s after MI5 and other nefarious forces
sabotaged the Wilson government. Then came Reagan and Britain’s Iron Lady
Thatcher government, which cristalyzed hard-right policies. As society swung
to the right, so did Labour, eventually producing Tony Bliar’s ‘New Labour’
that criminally abetted the U.S. invasion of Iraq and the rise of ISIS, etc.
The nefarious forces, now fully joined by Israel, are continuing to sabotage
Labour, which under its new leader has been tamed.

Seems to me that U.S. history isn’t much better. Did Clinton reverse
the Reagan/Bush slide into neoliberalism? No, he abetted it domestically
(cutting welfare) and continued imperial policies abroad. And Obama did
things like approving drone assassinations every Tuesday and prosecuting
more whistleblowers of truth than all his predecessors combined.

5 Likes

Excellent evolver! The soul of the Postal Service is caught for us, remembered in those words - those motto’s of the heart for the Common Good enshrined. Thank You!

We must not let this too fade into the world of greed and those that treat those words and others of like meaning with contempt!

3 Likes

Millions need to drop by DeJoy’s, Trump’s and all of the evil ones homes as well to make their point.

1 Like

As I understand it, the dry-lightning episode we just got, and the one scheduled for tomorrow morning, are remnants of big Pacific storms. Presumably there needs to be just enough humidity in the air to conduct electricity (like I’ve never seen before: lightning from another planet!), without much falling to the ground, which is why dry-lightning like this is so rare, we’ve never seen it before. Not at this incredible intensity.

Lawyers are burning the midnight oil (heedless of the carbon footprint) trying to figure out who to sue for the 12,000 lightning-sparked ignitions we’ve seen.

2 Likes