Home | About | Donate

'Negotiate, Don't Escalate': Demands for Peace as Nuclear Threat Looms

'Negotiate, Don't Escalate': Demands for Peace as Nuclear Threat Looms

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Following the "terrifying" exchange of threats between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, a coalition of anti-war groups held an emergency rally outside of the White House Wednesday night to commemorate the anniversary of the U.S. atomic bombing of Nagasaki and "take a stand against the use of nuclear weapons."

JFK had real combat experience, having his PT Boat torpedoed, personally towing a member of his crew to safety in the middle of the Pacific, and personally understood the reality of War.

He also understood the Human Condition : “We all breathe the Same Air. We all cherish our Children’s Future. And we are all Mortal.”

He walked out on “his Generals” when they trivialized the possible loss of thousands of American Lives in a first strike Nuclear Confrontation.

Now we have this Poser, backed up by the Same Entities that made sure that we lost Kennedy, and that we’d never get Bernie, and the Whole Bunch of Them are now ready to Throw Us All Under the Freaking Bus.

There’s not enough money in negotiating peace for the military industrial complex and Wall Street. More and more endless wars are what they want. And since they have owned and controlled the government now for decades war is what it will be. Until the citizens rise up en masse with general strikes and corporate boycotts it will be business as usual. The corporate oligarchs are addicted to war as it is far too profitable for them. I remember back in 2008 when there was a call to “boycott” the big banks and move your money to small banks and credit unions. It went nowhere. But those are the actions it will take to hit the oligarchs in ways they care about. In the meantime they continue to consolidate power and control. I fear it may be too late.

P.S. "Demanding peace will not work with the corporate oligarchs. In the lead up to the 2003 War against Iraq there were millions of people around the world in the streets demanding peace. Bush/Cheney could not be bothered to care about such demands for peace as they were only serving themselves and their fellow oligarchs. War is what they wanted and war is what we got. They don’t care about what other people think or want. That is the world we now live in. The anti war movement is now dead and it will take bringing down the whole capitalistic system that now depends on war to keep itself growing. Like I said I fear it may be too late, but I would love to be wrong about that feeling.

“The hope of the world is that wisdom can arrest conflict between brothers. I believe that war is the deadly harvest of arrogant and unreasoning minds. And I find grounds for this belief in the wisdom literature of Proverbs. It says in effect this: Panic strikes like a storm and calamity comes like a whirlwind to those who hate knowledge and ignore their God.”

“Possibly my hatred of war blinds me so that I cannot comprehend the arguments they adduce. But, in my opinion, there is no such thing as a preventive war. Although this suggestion is repeatedly made, none has yet explained how war prevents war. Worse than this, no one has been able to explain away the fact that war creates the conditions that beget war”.

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some 50 miles of concrete highway. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This, I repeat, is the best way of life to be found on the road. the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.”

all quotes by Prez-General Dwight Eisenhower

The counterpoint to Ikes words are the utter lack of wisdom, integrity, honor, experience and any sense or understanding of true religion that now inhabits the WH and environs…

Right up front, we of the hoi polloi should threaten total revolt unless the rich pay for such wars right up front; none of this GWB charge-it war that we on the street have to bear the burden for.

From the article: “Notably, while the proposed legislation would specifically limit presidential authority regarding a nuclear first strike, others have pointed out that no president can start a war without congressional authorization.”

It has already been pointed out elsewhere that we are already in a state of war with NK. There was no peace treaty in the 1950’s, only an Armistice. Therefore Trump is free to strike when and as he wishes.

But sleep well :man_facepalming:

My heart goes out to all those people making the very necessary effort of calling attention to this folly. Opposing war is the one thing, I think, that can bring together a majority of the deeply divided sectors of American society, and it must be done with increasing frequency and intensity. I cannot help but notice, however, that the protest covered here seems to be focused exclusively on Washington’s dangerous bluster in regard to North Korea. The protests should condemn (if they don’t already) all US war efforts, present or potential, across the board. Where do I see any mention of the recent, highly bellicose Congressional sanctions on Russia, which present a far greater threat to the safety and future of the planet than the orange freak’s sabre rattling at Korea? And we are still, let us not forget, in the midst of the phony “endless war on terror” concocted by Bush/Cheney, which all these other insane actions grow out of. Where is the mention of Mosul, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, AFRICOM, and everything else? Those are real, ongoing wartime operations, and they must stop. The antiwar movement must call for a moratorium on all such actions across the board, or it is meaningless.

Both Trump and Kim Jong-un commonly use exaggerated threats. Assuming they don’t wind up in a nightmare nuclear confrontation this seems like it will go on as long as Trump lasts in office (hopefully he will be impeached and removed before the end of his term). As was clear from the first Republican primary debate Trump is unsuited for being a president. Apparently he will keep us on edge as long as he lasts. He certainly wasn’t elected because of foreign policy. He didn’t even know what the nuclear triad was. Now he is in command of it. But despite his ineptitude he still has strong support. He is a favorite of the white supremacist alt-right. He is also no doubt strongly supported by the many people who believe their tax dollars have been mainly flowing into the pockets of minorities thanks to liberals. And those who believe that America has no morals now that organized school prayer is out of the schools and the Ten Commandments can’t be posted in every public school classroom.

Well, when folks around me start squawking about School Prayer, I always insist I’m all for it. I suggest The Lord’s prayer (Catholic version) on Mondays, a Jewish prayer on Tuesdays, a Native American prayer on Wednesdays, Muslim prayer on Thursdays, and the Protestant version of the Lord’s prayer on Fridays. That way I can point out to dissenters that in fact, I am favoring Christians. For the Universalists, atheists, agnostics, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, Buddhists, Hindus, Shintos and others I can be a true Liberal and suggest the rotation be stretched over several weeks!

Somehow no one seems satisfied. Would you be?

p.s. Reductio ad absurdum.

Everyone seems to be assuming that Trump really runs the country, without any controls on his actions.

He is restrained in matters of real consequence by members of his staff, and others, who make all of the most important decisions.

Trump is only their spokesman, who they allow to foolishly babble, but they will not allow his insanity to destroy the country, or put it in an untenable position.

I really like your recommendation on getting the rich to pay for wars.

I could get behind that Doc.

Buzz killer!

So sue me :sunglasses:

Sometimes we just have to lighten up. Like the old saying goes, “Joke 'em if they can’t take a …”

Absolutely.

They will also discard him with extreme prejudice in a heartbeat, if it serves their purpose, i.e. a perceived “need” on their part to have to declare Martial Law, and blame it on Us.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

No I am not in favor of organized school prayer in schools. It is unconstitutional. I am in favor of following the Constitution.

Two leaders that are both nut cases! In my opinion, both belong in an insane asylum!

" I fear it is too late".

Me too, but I hope like hell that we are both wrong!

I don’t believe the US ever declared war on North Korea. The US was involved in the Korean War as part of a UN police action. I think the state of war is only between North Korea and South Korea. The demilitarized zone still exists.

The US hasn’t “declared war” on anyone since 1941. So what’s your point?