Home | About | Donate

Neocons to Americans: Trust Us Again

Neocons to Americans: Trust Us Again

Robert Parry

America’s neocons insist that their only mistake was falling for some false intelligence about Iraq’s WMD and that they shouldn’t be stripped of their powerful positions of influence for just one little boo-boo.

Neo-cons are only the latest iteration of American imperialism. Nothing will stop them except the bankruptcy and implosion, Soviet-style of the USA.

That clapping seal to the right of the Worst President Ever is L. Paul Bremer, the "Viceroy of Iraq" as he was called by a critic. He was installed after Bush the War Criminal had broken the back of Iraq in order to move it in the direction of some fantasized neoliberal paradise. This illegal and barbaric act was seen as a first step in the Bush/Cheney regime's grotesque plan to invade and convert most of the Middle East in order to safeguard our "national interests" and somehow spread "freedom and democracy" to the region just as Georgie's God told him to do. The result was the greatest foreign policy disaster in U.S. history.
And now, we have Dubya's brother running for the Oval Office telling us that the Iraq War was a pretty good deal after all. And he is believed by the same idiots who voted for his brother because they thought "he'd be a good guy to have a beer with".
Oh, and Paul Bremer? He was awarded our nation's highest civilian honor - the Medal of Freedom - by George W. Bush. You just can't make this stuff up.

Robert Parry is dancing around the core issue. The AIPAC zionists have seized control of the American govt. and are literally dictating policy. The same people run the NYT and Wash Post thereby echoing the lies of "enemies" who are out to attack America. The military who could annihilate the world is under "threat". Stop already ! How much bs do they think we will accept.

Mr. Parry reminds us that Orwell was right in his prescient dystopian novel 1984. In the book news items and even passages in history books were constantly being rewritten and altered to fit what the government desired people to believe. We all know the warnings in Orwell's pen.

However Orwell assumed a secrecy would be needed whereas our growing dystopia opts for a more obvious and overt manipulation of the facts and as in the case of the Washington Post editorial page, it makes little effort to pretend otherwise. It is open and straightforward. The facts are not the determining factor but only the necessary framework upon which a carefully constructed interpretation of the facts is based. Even falsehoods can be presented as if they were facts and in context. The legality of Plame's outing and the yellowcake receipt which barring the presence of any contravening facts that would dispute them were as good as any true facts would been at least as when presented in the newspaper opinion piece.

The average reader does not have the newspapers resources at hand and aside from academics and political analysts and policy wonks, most people do not have the time to keep abreast of unfolding developments nor to amass the collateral facts with which to judge the veracity of what is written in a newspaper article.

So Orwell's totalitarian Big Brother's rewriting newspaper stories and history books in secret is actually unnecessary for the average reader. Big Uncle and a few of his nephews rewrite the facts as they want them to appear even as they are happening and determine public perception in real time. In the end who has enough familiarity with the issues to say the facts are otherwise?

Whoever has more readership has more people believing and repeating the lies. After a certain point all that is needed is a few pat denials and obfuscations from higher ups to settle the credibility debate. The once popular Colin Powell's support for Bush's phony WMDs ended the man's career in ignominy but it well served its purpose at the time. Reagan's calling the contras freedom fighters helped obfuscate perceptions of that situation.

Big Uncle lies openly because it is all something of a muddle out there in which the average person gets only bits and pieces in intermittent dollops - an article (a piece of the puzzle) on one day might be covered by this paper here but not one over there, another article several days later appears almost as a follow up to a story that the paper didn't cover originally itself but is wrapping up the story now as they 'saw' it. Whenever and wherever but not all that consistently and often at times only hit and miss. There are gaps that need to be filled but aren't. Its like the papers didn't notice that they left out some of the criticism or contradicting evidence. People have to search out the news from multiple sources to keep on top of the world's events and how many of us have the time for that between work, family and a life?

Orwell's Big Brother did it in secret and our Big Uncle (and his neocon minions) does it openly... it is only thanks to people like Robert Parry and others like him that we still stand any chance at being a government Of, For and By at all.

Mr. Parry and all the other contributors to progressive sites like CD and others are our only public democracy. Without them we are led. We are pushed. We are herded. In the end, despite neocon spite and intransigence ... Parry was right about the Contra War. Progressives were right about Bush/Cheney and Iraq. History follows us not the neocons.

The problem is that the neocons aren't rewriting history (not yet) but they are trying to rewrite policy right now. They do so openly. Orwell didn't get that part of dystopia correct. The lies that we are told are straight to our face.

Big Brother is watching.

Big Uncle is writing.

Iran has been on the Neocon hit list for a long time.

"After recounting how a Pentagon source had told him [General Wesley Clark] weeks after 9/11 of the Pentagon’s plan to attack Iraq notwithstanding its non-involvement in 9/11, this is how Clark described the aspirations of the “coup” being plotted by Dick Cheney, Don Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz and what he called “a half dozen other collaborators from the Project for the New American Century”:

Six weeks later, I saw the same officer, and asked: “Why haven’t we attacked Iraq? Are we still going to attack Iraq?”

He said: “Sir, it’s worse than that. He said – he pulled up a piece of paper off his desk – he said: “I just got this memo from the Secretary of Defense’s office. It says we’re going to attack and destroy the governments in 7 countries in five years – we’re going to start with Iraq, and then we’re going to move to Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Iran.

Clark said the aim of this plot was this: “They wanted us to destabilize the Middle East, turn it upside down, make it under our control.” He then recounted a conversation he had had ten years earlier with Paul Wolfowitz — back in 1991 — in which the then-number-3-Pentagon-official, after criticizing Bush 41 for not toppling Saddam, told Clark: “But one thing we did learn [from the Persian Gulf War] is that we can use our military in the region – in the Middle East – and the Soviets won’t stop us. And we’ve got about 5 or 10 years to clean up those old Soviet regimes – Syria, Iran [sic], Iraq — before the next great superpower comes on to challenge us.” "

Salon article on Wesley Clark's revelations about neocon plans

In 1964 LBJ ran as a peace candidate and depicted (correctly as it turned out) Goldwater as a a war monger. That and the sympathy vote over the assassination of JFK (ironic as it turned out since both men detested each other) was enough to give Lyndon a land slide victory. Then came the phony Gulf of Tonkin incident, the infamous resolution passed by the congress, hte worry about all th dominoes falling into the communist camp, and we all know the rest.
This entire caper in the middle east is no different. Bush 1 (the silly one) started it with Desert Storm/Shield, Clinton continued it with strategic bombing of infrastructure disguised as enforcing the no-fly zone, Bush the lesser (the dofus!) invaded and occupied the country, and Obama has continued the violence over the entire middle east under the guise of the Arab Spring and war on ISIS.
The more things change the more they stay the same.

The conservative animal is reactionary and fears and responds with a fight or flight reaction, like all other animals. This reaction will often save animals by more rapidly eliminating a threat before it can do harm. It can determine the survival of the fittest. That these "threats" often involve innocents matters little to conservatives. Like all animals, conservatives respond only to their own survival, whatever it takes.

So who is doing things nature's way, conservatives or liberals? Do we all adapt by killing innocents, invading their habitat, torturing them, hoarding all available resources, lying, cheating, stealing, polluting, etc.? Do we act like amoral natural selection commands all animals to in order to eliminate the competition and determine who is the fittest?

Conservative animal's reactionary and bloody cruelty also avoids overpopulation. By defunding family planning, conservatives may be insisting on controlling overpopulation nature's way, by killing off the competition.

Extreme concentration of wealth and power also organizes ignorance. Superstition is foreign in nature, but in humans, such organized ignorance allows a few individuals to control their entire species.

Oligarchs and theocrats are examples of concentrated ignorance and often of personal ugliness, physical weakness and the mental deficiency that characterizes many conservatives although these often contract or force liberals and others to build beautiful or gaudy monuments to themselves. Common in some animals, organized ignorance leads to the destruction of their own habitat and extinction of its own species.

Can liberal family planning, science, intelligence, egalitarianism, humanism, creativity and other liberal traits plus the sports mostly conservatives seem to love substitute for animal cruelty to separate fit humans from the unfit? Can liberals control overpopulation humanely while preserving natural selection?

It's fine to lay out the details, but why avoid mentioning that it's a known FACT that the C.I.A embeds MANY "respected" New organizations and that it WILL protect its own: counter-narratives and plausible deniability defenses, included.

From the article:

"The fact that Hiatt remains the Post’s editorial-page editor and that Wilson ended up decamping his family to New Mexico speaks volumes about the upside-down world that Official Washington has become."

The FACT is C.I.A. and its DIRECT involvement. The alphabet agencies are all about macho and the use of unchecked force. Why would they interfere with the spread of wars. That brings me to a parallel fallacy.... in the form of repetitions of a similar naïve statement: Tom Engelhardt's constant moaning over the fact that the U.S. military has not WON a war since Vietnam. Again, missing from this "analysis" is the salient factor that the M.I.C. is a cash cow for banks, war profiteers, and a number of major corporations that require armed thugs the way the Mafia uses Hit Men. (See: John Perkin's accounts of same.)

Winning isn't the issue unless one asks who turns out to be financial winners from these debacles?

I am VERY glad to see Gerald Celente also challenging the military mindset and the wastes lost on wars...

https://www.youtube.com/user/gcelente

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Correct. Bush's fellow war criminal "Bibi" Netanyahu reportedly told his ministers that he can make the U.S. government do just about anything he wants. Our subservience to the increasingly right-wing government of Israel is a disgrace.

After seeing the onslaught of Orwellian propaganda and lies propagated by Big Uncle, Big Brother, Big Media, I've come to disbelieve and distrust much, if not all, of what these powers in "Western civilization" do and say. No longer do I pick up a mainstream newspaper without remembering all of the lies and fear mongering perpetuated by the paper in the past. Mostly, I read these papers to learn of what lies they are telling now. The duty of the informed, awake, and decent citizen is to keep themselves informed of the lies being told to them at any one moment.

Oligarchy is making a serious play for control. How much control can be bought per dollar is the question. Citizen's United follows upon the Patriot Act. Democracy staggers but hasn't fallen yet. This election scares me. Obama was a con but we've been conned before (Reagan for example) however this election with Citizen's United and the troubles that will follow because of the environment seems like our last chance to roll back the take over of our democracy by oligarchy. Last chance but a great chance... if we take it.

Go Bernie... the anti-oligarchy candidate.

Actually no i do not.
Vietnam intervention was started by Ike back in '54. Then JFK (after trying to have it both ways) tried to withdraw all combat troops and got murdered.
On the day of JFK's funeral LBJ rescinded the executive order withdrawing several thousand troops and began to escalate to the point of having half a million troops in 'nam at the height of the conflict.
Then came NIxon with a "secret plan" to end the war. While Le Duc Tho and Kissinger dickered over seating arrangements and the shape of the peace conference table in Paris, more hundreds of thousands died. Then surprise!! Nixon decided to bomb and invade Cambodia. As one tank commander told a news correspondent, "well he said he'd get us out of Vietnam and i guess he sure as hell did".
Now compare that with the conduct of both Bush clones, Bill Clinton, and peace prize winning Barack Obama. I see no difference except the names of the geography and the brazenness of the lies used to justify such senseless slaughter. Now let's say that the two candidates running in 2016 ar not JEB! and Hillary, but rather Trump and Go Bernie Go Sanders. Either of them is not going to resist the MICC because both of them have seen the Zapruder film and understand its significance.

This letter, which I first drafted about a month ago, appeared in yesterday's Sunday edition of the Steubenville Herald Star:

To the Editor:

The editorial “In Our Opinion” printed here several Sundays ago repeated the lie that it was faulty intelligence that led to the disastrous and illegal invasion of Iraq. Quite the contrary, the factual intelligence fairly confidently assessed that Al Qaeda was an enemy of Sadam’s Iraq, that Iraq’s capacity and possession of “Weapons of Mass Destruction” had been dismantled and destroyed after the First Gulf War, that Iraq had little or no capacity to strike the US, and further that Iraq had no involvement in the attack on 9/11. Just as damning, sober and responsible experts on the Middle East warned that the invasion and destruction of Iraq would ignite a sectarian civil war that would probably spread beyond Iraq’s borders. This is exactly the disaster the US has indeed created. The “faulty intelligence” were lies invented and promulgated by Dick Cheney, et al.

Dwight Eisenhower, that former Republican President, warned Americans of a “Military Industrial Complex (MIC)” which threatened to consume not only the government, but the heart and soul of America. And so it has come to pass with the neocons who, far from being out of power, still have a stranglehold on the blood and treasure of this nation, and seem eager to cause even wider catastrophic destruction and failure.

For over a decade US intelligence agencies, as well as those of Israel, have determined that Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program and has not even decided whether it wants nuclear weapons. The Iranian Ayatollahs assert that nuclear weapons contradict Muslim teaching, and they aren’t generally known to misrepresent their religious beliefs. More pragmatically, I suspect they could have had a bomb long ago if they really wanted one, but have realized it’s a zero-sum game; their use of such a weapon would cause their own annihilation.

Iran’s real crime, which the blood-thirsty hawks of the US Military-Industrial-Security-Complex can never forgive, is freeing itself from the clutches of western colonialism, and not for being radical or sponsoring terrorism. After WWII a grass-roots nationalist movement arose there and won a majority in the secular democratic government. The 1953 coup engineered by the US/UK against Mosaddeq and the nationalists not only crushed that earlier independence movement, but also Iranian democracy, and we replaced it with the monarchy of the Shah Reza Pahlavi, our puppet tyrant. US talk about democracy and freedom were empty lies, a fact which the entire Middle East witnessed, and the US aided the Shah in creating SAVAK, a brutal Iranian national police apparatus. The Iranians have just cause to fear and distrust America.

The anti-Iran hysteria of many in Washington and which is dutifully sensationalized by the media, echoes the manufactured hysteria used to intimidate US citizens into supporting Bush’s disaster in Iraq. Polls continue to show popular US support for diplomacy over war, but the professional political class now only listens to the MIC. And there is hardly a more corrupt or greater sponsor of terrorism than our current ally, Saudi Arabia.

Sincerely,

Most of the letters I've submitted receive little or no negative response in the letters section. Usually the editorial staff of the paper just doubles down on the neocon rhetoric. There are other citizens though that I believe are encouraged to read someone willing to call out the lies, and then also write letters along a similar line. Contrary to the opinion that often prevails here, the whole country is not brainwashed yet.

Just remember what the late, great George Carlin said - "I don't believe anything my government tells me."
Or, in the words of the great, independent journalist, I.F. Stone, "All governments are run by liars." Now, more than ever, they have a bunch of media puppets to assist them

This time we'll nuke 'em. Nations fail because of arrogant stupidity.

Here they go again, getting amerika to fight another war that Israel wants, so Israel doesn't have to risk their own people! That way all of the blow back is on the US!
"We don't know how to mind our own business
cause the whole world's gotta be just like us"
Steppenwolf "Monster"

Great song that can be seen on YouTube. It is unnerving how prescient that band was when they came out with it in 1969. When I realize how little we have learned and how the affairs of state are even more controlled by the MIC it makes me very ashamed of my country

Yes, forty-six years later and the song is still relevant! How damn sad, we've learned nothing!