Home | About | Donate

Net Neutrality Killed as FCC 'Hands Keys to Internet to Handful of Multi-Billion Dollar Corporations'

Net Neutrality Killed as FCC 'Hands Keys to Internet to Handful of Multi-Billion Dollar Corporations'

Julia Conley, staff writer

"The fight to save net neutrality does not end today. This agency does not have, the final word. Thank goodness."

Head to the courts and congress…

But isn’t there a way to create a network that is not controlled by a big corporations?

Well, yeah, in Europe, internet access is considered a right, and the service to provide that access is considered a public utility, and so is owned by the public. Hence (surprise!) it’s ten times faster and, last I heard about $30/month.

A bit of an exaggeration to say it is killed yet. We still a ways to fight left. Taking it for the courts and congress being the next steps.

These Rethuglicans rave about “freedom” and “free markets” and “democracy”. Now they’ve given us freedom (if your name is Comcast, Verizon, or AT&T); freedom to censor, to stifle innovation, to keep the citizens and small innovative companies out of the market, and of course democracy: What could be more democratic than allowing ISPs to censor any viewpoint which threatens their bottom line?

Yes, too early but not too early to notice that the Trump administration and Republicans are the ones we the people are fighting against while the Democrats are trying to stop the keys from going to a handful of multimillionaire corporations.

US Sen. Ed Markey leads Democratic effort to restore FCC’s net neutrality rules

We’ll see but given the Democrats history of mealy mouth “resistance” to the repubs I won’t hold my breath.

The problem is the hardware. When each of us connects to an ISP, from which we connect to whatever web page or service we are looking for, then the ISP becomes the bottle-neck. That allows the ISP to throttle, add further charges, etc. If there were competition among ISP’s, then that competition, in the face of consumer choice, might force them to stop such behavior; but given the way capitalism works, any such competition will progressively disappear, leading to an oligopoly or monopoly. And, it’s kind of a natural monopoly anyway, like the (copper) telephone system, the water system, or public transit. The only way out of this is to have our own infrastructure. Wireless might offer that option. That would mean each person puts up an antenna. Assuming we’re not isolated, and can make a link to a neighbor, then connecting to a web page or service would happen by hopping from one person’s router to the next, until reaching the service we are searching for. This is called a “mesh network”. It’s the way the internet actually works, but at present those hops are from one server, at some large company or the like and with enormous bandwidth, to another. A mesh network is going to be slower, but at least it will work. And there are no central locations (ISP’s) where the whole net can be shut down, as happened in Egypt.

One example of this that is rolling out in Oakland, CA, is Sudomesh. Another potential example is Kim Dotcom’s project, “Bitcache”, which he claims is working towards a mesh network using surplus bandwidth on our cell phones, hopping from one phone to another.

While this might work locally, how we’re going to create a link from SF to Japan, without some massively funded company like ATT providing the fiberoptic cables, is beyond me. So to some extent I think this is a utopian project.

Not quite - above average in connection speed, above average in cost.

Like wind up toys is how we’re treated by our corporate government. They control almost every aspect of our lives and they’re making a run on our last rights. How much more will we take before we hit the breaking point? I suppose only time will tell.

NO WAY JOSE’! This fight is not over yet!

Hello? Anyone who doubts THE (planned) bankster CORPORATE COUP (that finalized election day, 2016 and began with the corporate coup of 1944 - IS IN DENIAL. At the '44 Democratic convention, according to Wikipedia: “On the second vice presidential ballot of the convention, Truman defeated Wallace (FDR’s VP) to win the nomination [for the VP slot].” Not quite, according to Professor Peter Kuznick, co-author with Oliver Stone’s, “Untold History of the United States”. Actually, Truman’s VP nomination was forced rather abruptly and coercively, bordering on thuggishness. A planned plot by Dem Party corporate interests! Thus, the permanent corporatization of the Dem Party to this day was PLANNED! This is explored quite well at The Real News Network. Part 4 link is below:
Peter Kuznick, co-author with Oliver Stone’s, “Untold History of the United States” and Paul Jay, senior reporter at TRNN, talk about how We the People, got “taken for a ride”, electorally. Into a very troubling lowest of levels of dishonor to women and minorities, disrespectful bigotry, hateful rhetoric to any dissenting pushback and not to mention the corporate-military-industrial-congressional war mongering (Warned by President Dwight D, Eisenhower, January 17, 1961).

http://therealnews.com/t2/story:20700:Undoing-the-New-Deal%3A-Truman-Embraces-the-Cold-War-(pt4)

The corporate oligarchy has convinced pacifists and most liberals, progressives, LGBT’s, people of color and the left to disarm. Their destruction should be easy.

Hubris attempts to direct cosmic powered biology expressed as human with arcane and draconian anti-life laws.

Like the dam across the river, it fills and then erodes away, 100%.

We are living the End Game of the autocratic fascist coup that has been in the works for many, many years. The US so resembles Germany of the 1930’s that it is has become a nightmare. The election process is thoroughly corrupt, the MSM is the voice of The State, the police are militarized and the two political parties are walking in lockstep with their wealthy owners.

It was quite obvious when the choice that was shoved down our throats in the last presidential “election” was between two of the worst candidates in history; both of whom had the very same agenda.

No one in power gives a damned about We the People except as tools for their immoral and selfish plans. And thanks to what has been done today, very soon we will have no voice at all.

In Canada, Net Neutrality has been written into law. From the Wiki page: “As of April 2017 the CRTC will uphold Net Neutrality but also allow ISP’s to offer differential pricing to customers, but only in the areas of speed rates, monthly data usage etc. but not based on content.”

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I’ll check the link.

An immediate response might work better for those of us on limited incomes, and send a message.

Here’s my idea. In the interim fight fire with fire. Niche dial-up ISPs. Leave out images and moving images for speed’s sake…enable audio streaming.

Mine would have: Common Dreams, Wikipedia, tomdispatch, Counterpunch, Nader RH (some speed lost), Democracy Now! (some speed lost), The Real News Network (some speed lost), Inst for Policy Studies, The Intercept (some speed lost every Wed), Counterpunch, FAIR, Informed Comment, Le Show (some speed lost), Danelion Salad, Code Pink, ACLU, Public Citizen, Moyers, The Guardian, Open Democracy…running out of time.

No more contribution hassles; my dough would be going to each one of’em every month. Cut the
COTTON PICK’N cable bill…see how they like them apples.

If necessary, in addition to your niche ISP turn your phone into a desktop using phone company with cheapest rate in town.

Well, if we have to go back to dialup, it’s going to be hard to turn this into a mass movement.

I’m a bit lucky in that I’m next to a university campus. I put a router + antenna on my roof (all of $100, including cables), and get free internet. If we could push more municipal internet, it could help.

Hey Trump-worshippers: is THIS what you mean by “MAGA?” How about raising taxes on non-rich people? Or increasing the national debt by $1.5 trillion so rich people can get bigger tax cuts? Or cutting Medicare, Medicaid, and soon Social Security? Eliminating hundreds of environmental protections and regulations that make our air and water clean, and our food safer?

You MAGA whores are moronic twits that deserve every single bad thing being foisted on you by the Conman-In-Chief you bow before. Unfortunately, those same bad things are being foisted on the 3/4 of the rest of the country that DON’T worship the Orange Fuhrer, and DON’T want our taxes raised, our environment destroyed, our food and air and water less safe, the national debt increased, or our safety net eliminated.

There will be a reckoning someday, Trump-whores. You will reap the whirlwind you have sown. Traitors, all.