Home | About | Donate

Net Neutrality Reduced to Mogul vs. Mogul in Corporate Media’s Shallow Coverage

Net Neutrality Reduced to Mogul vs. Mogul in Corporate Media’s Shallow Coverage

John O'Day

A common refrain in popular news media is that net neutrality is just too boring and esoteric for ordinary people to be interested in. “Oh my god that is the most boring thing I’ve ever seen,” John Oliver (HBO, 6/1/14) once exclaimed after showing his audience a short clip from a government hearing on the subject. “That is even boring by C-SPAN standards.”

Nice piece, O’Day.

Let’s face it, though. In spite of the sheer volume of mobilization over the previous years in support of neutrality, the only reason we haven’t been steamrolled by the telecoms yet is solely due to the pushback from large content providers.
Activists were always irrelevant in this clash. It was merely a conflict between lobbyists (and still is).

To that extent, it’s understandable to focus on the corporate interests at stake since they’re the only ones that have ever mattered to the people deciding this issue. The rest of us can eat e-mail.

What is Net Neutrality to us, here?

We will all be saying : “Damn, I’ve been waiting ten minutes, how long is it going to take for Common Dreams to load?”

Thanks for that John O’Day !

My understanding of this subject was small - your article helps a lot.

But I do know something of corporations, and you are point on in saying that ‘corporations don’t have friends - they have interests’.

Great piece.