Home | About | Donate

Netflix Removed Clip That Criticized Saudi Arabia's Human Rights Record

Netflix Removed Clip That Criticized Saudi Arabia's Human Rights Record

Naomi LaChance

Netflix removed an episode of the comedy show “Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj” that criticized Saudi Arabia’s human rights record after a request from the Saudi government to do so, according to a report by the Financial Times.

I see Saudi Arabia has followed Israel’s lead with censorship, but they’re not quite up to Israel’s level, they go straight to the source, instead of waiting till it hits Netflix.
I expect to see this type of action from all fascist governments in the near future to keep the world’s population in the dark. With more movies and shows like “Zero Dark Thirty”, explaining how our good guys have saved us from a ghost bad guy.

“Ghost bad guy”, also known as bogeyman du jour, an element essential to the continued growth of the military industrial media infotainment complex (MIMIC), the biggest taxpayer funded corporate welfare program the world has ever seen.

Netflix statement:
“We strongly support artistic freedom worldwide and only removed this episode in Saudi Arabia after we had received a valid legal request—and to comply with local law,” Netflix said in a statement.

Hey Netflix:
Just because it’s “legal” doesn’t make it right. Corrupt despotic regimes make laws, do you have to follow them? Everything the NAZI party did in Germany was “legal” because they wrote the local laws.

Just standard corporate rejection of morality and humanity because, “risk of legal liability.” The whole structure of “the corporation” leans toward corrupt despotism, away from morality and humanity. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

For a minute I thought it was removed in the US whose audience matters a whole lot more to this topic. As Hasan says, nobody in Saudi Arabia is in the dark about what kind of a man MBS is. What we need is more people in the US to understand it and put more pressure on businesses and politicians. I can’t get that bent out of shape about what Netflix (I’m a subscriber) does in Saudi Arabia in order to keep a presence. I’d be willing to listen to what groups in Saudi Arabia say - maybe having Netflix available overall is still positive.

Being in the US what annoys me about Netflix was the recent Facebook scandal where Netflix was given access to private messages.

Wow, is there no end to the shamelessness of America. KILL THIS SYSTEM!. This system means to harm every American it can possible reach. Can we put our government on trail for treason?. How about we just put all 3 branches of our government on trail. I say we line them all up in front of a firing squad. Hello new America.

The golden rule continues. “He who has the gold makes the rules.” Or, if you prefer, “He who pays the piper calls the tune.”

There is no “news” here - this has been the order of things for thousands of years. Just a little more transparent when we have the internet

It’s not right in your view, and i happen to agree. But right/wrong is different for different people.

As an example in the KSA is perfectly fine to marry off preteen girls to older men, we think it’s wrong.

In the KSA they think homosexuality is wrong, we think it’s totally fine.

They also seem to think over here that its fine to ban speech that does not match the government view, some of us think that is wrong.

The main problem starts when one definition of right is being imposed on people who think that ain’t so. It took us centuries cultural of evolution to get at this stage and now we think we can impose that on others who are way behind.

You do realize that the clip is still available in the US. It was removed is Saudi Arabia due to local laws.

And just in case someone is interested, here it is:

On a side note, why does Common Dreams have to say that “Netflix pulls episode” five times before they add “in Saudi Arabia” more than halfway through the article. I’m thinking I won’t be able to see it for most of the time I’m reading this article. I think pulling it in Saudi Arabia is not really much news.

Someone at Netflix believes Saudi Arabia must not be held accountable and at a minimum, embarrassed for the brutal murder of a journalist that resided in America and spoke the truth about a brutal regime.

If I had an account with Netflix today, I wouldn’t tomorrow.

Hi lamonte7: Thank you----MBS is even worse than I thought, but I love Hasan. : )

Thx for the video.