Home | About | Donate

New Flu Virus Reported in China Highlights Risk of Animal-Borne Pandemic Originating in Factory Farms

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/30/new-flu-virus-reported-china-highlights-risk-animal-borne-pandemic-originating

2 Likes

It’s not just factory farms that are to blame; any swine operation is a breeding ground for disease, and it only stands to reason that eventually you are going to get a disease that jumps species to humans.

In the 1980’s I worked part-time for a farmer who raised hogs outdoors on what would be considered a fairly small scale, and we were constantly having to move the pigs from one location to another on the farm to try to prevent the build up of diseases (which would occur if we didn’t), not to mention giving them vaccinations. My boss eventually gave up and culled his whole herd and replaced them with special laboratory raised “disease-free” pigs. That’s about when I decided I had seen enough and became a vegetarian, and my boss was nice enough to give me other work to do on the farm besides working directly with the hogs.

My feeling is it’s people’s insistence on consuming animal products which is eventually going to do the human species (and maybe all species) in, either thru the climate changes it creates or the pandemics it encourages.

6 Likes

Anthony Fauci’s investments in not only the “Wuhan Virology Lab” where COVID-19 perhaps orgininated, but, also in vaccine products, makes me wonder if the future of pandemics in America, and the rest of the world, is going to be a “rosy” one.

1 Like

Gordon,

I grew up in the early 50’s with pig farms all around us, one directly across the street in front of our house.

To the best of my recollection, during the time those pig farmers remained in operation through the middle 60’s as urban sprawl crept out our way and the farms changed from pigs to veggies, the threat of disease wasn’t a major concern.

But, what did I know, I was just a kid.

2 Likes

Given where H1N1seems to have started, shouldn’t this be referred to as the American virus. That seems to be the new normal for virus name-calling in some places. But, maybe that’s reserved for other places and not for the exceptional country.

4 Likes

Elaborate?

1 Like

Thank you, Gordon, you have a thoughtful heart.

1 Like

"You’re a pig!’ It might be a common insult but, interestingly, there are a number of similarities between humans and pigs. These include various anatomic and physiologic traits, such as organ placement (and often size and function), skin similarities and some disease progression.

A pig weighing around 60 kilograms will, for example, resemble a human body in many ways, including fat distribution, cover of hair and ability to attract insects. For this reason, pigs have been used in medical research for over 30 years, and are what’s known as a translational research model. This means that if something works in a pig, it has a higher possibility of working in a human.

So do these similarities mean that humans are closely related to pigs? Not necessarily. Many of these shared physical traits are not the result of a close ancestry, but rather of convergent evolution—that is, selection of the same characteristics by a common environment. Phew, you might say—your bedroom might resemble a pigsty but at least you’re not related."

This why they use piggy valves and other things to make human spare parts. For more info:
~https://www.foxnews.com/health/why-pigs-are-so-valuable-for-medical-research

2 Likes

If you listen to any of these epidemic experts talk about future infections here at home, as well as around the world, they seem to be articulating that we may very well be looking at a new world with more frequent needs for vaccines.

This is good news for the Pharmaceutical Industry and those who are investors in those companies, and very bad news for most other Americans.

Not a rosy picture.

3 Likes

Not sure I want to know what this is.

“laboratory raised “disease-free” pigs”

3 Likes

This is totally off the track, but your discourse on pigs reminded me that I’ve been wondering about your screen name – since the one (fictional) human I know of named Fern was the little girl in Charlotte’s Web, perhaps one of the most well-known books with a main character who was a pig. Any connection?

Very nice of you to say, only that it is coincidental. I haven’t thought about that book for a long time and it is a pleasant reminder. I do like pigs, they are far more intelligent than are given credit.

1 Like

Achillea has a charm as well with a bit of folklore as well.

1 Like

Yet another reason why if the future world is going to have us humans in it we need to get rid of capitalism.

3 Likes

Scott Morrison doesn’t think it will be “rosy”:

~https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jun/30/australia-to-acquire-long-range-missiles-as-pm-warns-of-dangerous-post-covid-19-world

Articles like this almost make me thankful climate collapse will exterminate humanity. At the height of a pandemic all we can do is prepare for war and fester xenophobia.

1 Like

And it’s been going on for a long time. This article is over 9 months old:

~https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/19/superbug-hotspots-emerging-in-farms-across-globe-study

2 Likes

I guess I wasn’t thinking so much of folklore when I chose the name, but it is a lovely California native in my garden that draws a lot of bees (as does the buckwheat – I had thought of using eriogonum, but it didn’t sound as nice)…

Wow, it is really beautiful. I see it on drives in the country sometimes or at least a close relative. I love native plants and their indepence.